Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
@Udi why not pay a visit to this producer of 3d printed caliper based in NZ?
The alloy they use has half the yield strength of good old 7075 but they can put the material where it's needed.
It might just not be cheap...
Pistons are stupid small, at 15/16mm. Could be fine if they had their own lever out with a small enough MC to suit, but if you're supposed to use someone else's lever, those are going to be wimpy.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
After 5+ years on Magura MT5's I bought some Formula Cura 2pots. If they end up sucking I blame you guys, especially kidwoo.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
I just read a post earlier today or yesterday that the DRT version was already gone. Can't remember where, sorry. Probably on instagram.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I just read a post earlier today or yesterday that the DRT version was already gone. Can't remember where, sorry. Probably on instagram.
It's kinda natural, given the limited edition stealth brakes are assembled with pieces that didn't pass the QC, sandblasted and then anodized in black. Trickstuff has a high quality standard, so I guess they don't have many rejected pieces laying around.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Hey you first world whiners, get this: now you can have the Trickstuff Direttissima brakes in the only fashionable color for a properly gnarly :monkey: WITH A SIGNIFICANT 50 EURO DISCOUNT!!!

https://bikerumor.com/2020/03/04/trickstuff-stealth-brakes-get-new-life-in-lower-cost-limited-edition-matte-black/

So GTFO @Udi 's lawn and start buying!!!!
That one already sold out.
If you have a set of their standard brakes on order (no payment required until they ship), you get an email a few days in advance notifying you when the next batch of stealth brakes will be live on the website.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Pistons are stupid small, at 15/16mm. Could be fine if they had their own lever out with a small enough MC to suit, but if you're supposed to use someone else's lever, those are going to be wimpy.
also (as i've mentioned before) pads aren't back loading, so you have to remove the caliper to swap pads. more of a nuisance than anything, but with back loading pads being pretty much standard these days, its something hard to not overlook.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sure, I swap pads without re-aligning all the time. That's probably because I'm still on SRAM brakes that suck donkey balls if the pads are more than half worn. But yeah, I pretty much always drop the wheel and push the pistons back in (and do a quick bleed) so backloading is not that big an advantage.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Does anybody ever swap pads without having to realign the caliper? Or for that matter drop the wheel and push the pistons back in? Backloading calipers are great on cars, but on bikes? Not sure it's even worth noting.
This.

Plus, given that most of the brakes on the market actively suck in one way or another, even if it did make pad swaps marginally easier, it would be about 11,589th on my list of priorities.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Any consensus on the best rotors? Value vs performance vs weight? Or just get XT Icetech and forget the rest?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have never checked their site and found inventory. For that price you'd think there would be stock.
The price covers design and manufacturing of a brilliant product.
The "dealing with North Americans' whinge-about-everything-which-I'm-not-going-to-buy-anyway" is an optional extra.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The price covers design and manufacturing of a brilliant product.
The "dealing with North Americans' whinge-about-everything-which-I'm-not-going-to-buy-anyway" is an optional extra.
Your snark is boring.
In order to sell a product you must first actually have it available to purchase.
What good is a "brilliant" (lol) product that you can't get?

9 months is the new 2 weeks?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Your snark is boring.
In order to sell a product you must first actually have it available to purchase.
What good is a "brilliant" (lol) product that you can't get?

9 months is the new 2 weeks?
9 months is manufacturer direct. there are other e-tailers that have inventory. pretty obvious the trickstuff is prioritizing dealer orders over maintaining their own inventory.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
@Nick
Red Direttissima is in stock at r2-bike.com...
I got my blue one in 4 days after ordering in January. I want a red one. Do you perhaps want a blue one? Let's do it!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Your snark is boring.
Maybe you can try report me to binary visions, again. ;)
Your whining is boring.

As others said, they are often available, I didn't wait for mine. Flo33 didn't wait for his.
It's evident who actually wants them and who wants to whinge about the price instead.
I don't get a commission and I paid full price, so the less whiny people who own them the better - for me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@Nick
Red Direttissima is in stock at r2-bike.com...
I got my blue one in 4 days after ordering in January. I want a red one. Do you perhaps want a blue one? Let's do it!
No, but thank you.

Maybe you can try report me to binary visions, again. ;)
Your whining is boring.
Selectively delete posts that make you look like an ass while you continue to act like an ass, and I'd be glad to. Shitty moderators aren't needed here.

I have maybe 2-3 posts on this company, and noting that they can't seem to supply brakes. That ain't whining.

Back on track. I spent the past cup of coffee searching, one shop with one option available on the planet at the moment. I just don't get it. I can't believe it's supply/demand or they'd be working around the clock to fill orders. I mean, a 9 month lead time is a company not making product.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
R2 has blue and gold Piccolas, everything else is either 2-3 months out, or "summer". I'm sure Trickstuff are great brakes, but there's no denying that they're hard to actually get. I can honestly say I'd have bought them, but it was worth gambling on Curas since I'd need a set of temporary brakes anyway while I waited for the Trickstuffs to show up, ended up liking the Curas enough to not bother ordering the TS.

Like Nick said, that's not a whine, that's just reality. If you got lucky and the exact brake you wanted were in stock at the time you wanted them, congrats.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No, but thank you.

Selectively delete posts that make you look like an ass while you continue to act like an ass, and I'd be glad to. Shitty moderators aren't needed here.

I have maybe 2-3 posts on this company, and noting that they can't seem to supply brakes. That ain't whining.

Back on track. I spent the past cup of coffee searching, one shop with one option available on the planet at the moment. I just don't get it. I can't believe it's supply/demand of they'd be working around the clock to fill orders. I mean, a 9 month lead time is a company not making product.
they're german. they don't subscribe to your american sense of instant gratification

its 2 weeks before the first wc of the year, i bet their prioritization list looks something like the following:

-brakes for WC teams
-brakes for other sponsored riders
-brakes for distributors
-brakes for their own inventory
-brakes for people whining on the internet about how they're not available despite not planning on buying them anyways

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
also (as i've mentioned before) pads aren't back loading, so you have to remove the caliper to swap pads. more of a nuisance than anything, but with back loading pads being pretty much standard these days, its something hard to not overlook.
I'm surprised so many disagreed with you on this but I agree.
Top-loading calipers are useful and on better brakes I've often changed pads from the top, without removing wheel nor caliper. I suppose it's an art to lever the pistons without touching the rotor, but often it's not for changing pads, it's for cleaning or wrenching on something which may contaminate pads (eg. fork service). It's hard to clean pads, but it's easy to clean the rotor if you spill something on it and pop your clean pads back in later.

I wouldn't buy a brake which didn't have top loading pads personally, even on the M810 (after the M800) it was annoying and I was glad the M820 switched back to top load. To each their own but this is a feature I rate.

Back on track. I spent the past cup of coffee searching, one shop with one option available on the planet at the moment. I just don't get it. I can't believe it's supply/demand of they'd be working around the clock to fill orders. I mean, a 9 month lead time is a company not making product.
Do you actually want the brakes, and if so, which color?
If you list your preference, there are other lovely members here (like yourself) who will happily inform you when they pop up somewhere. The Euro monkeys here in particular are on the ball with this kind of thing.

If however you just want to whine that a small company can't meet your stringent production requirements based on nothing and for no actual purpose, then that is exactly what whining is.

there's no denying that they're hard to actually get. I can honestly say I'd have bought them, but it was worth gambling on Curas since I'd need a set of temporary brakes anyway while I waited for the Trickstuffs to show up, ended up liking the Curas enough to not bother ordering the TS.
All true and I agree - however I think he needs to make it clear if he's looking for some (so he can be assisted or alerted when available), otherwise it's not a contribution to this thread: everyone already knows they're hard to get.

The lack of availability is understandable for a small company making a niche product in high demand (which it is, outside of this forum) - and as @jonKranked explained they try to fulfil their obligations in a logical order.

As a sidenote I still rate Formula's manufacturing highly, they make some great gear, and I still use their brakes on one bike. Formula, Hope, and TS all set gold standards on how a safety-related bike part should be manufactured.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
This lack of product is the same as it was 6 months ago, and this time last year, and ...

They could truly be the and-all in brakes, it's a shame they can't get their shit together.
Do you really view actually having your most in demand product available a "stringent production requirement"? Come on man, that's laughable. My comment isn't whining, its a COMMENT based on them NOT having brakes for sale!

You have your fan-boy cap a bit too tight. This isn't personal, it's business. I hope they can ramp up production one day.

I've looked for them in silver. I hear November is looking promising. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This lack of product is the same as it was 6 months ago, and this time last year, and ...

They could truly be the and-all in brakes, it's a shame they can't get their shit together.
Do you really view actually having your most in demand product available a "stringent production requirement"? Come on man, that's laughable. My comment isn't whining, its a COMMENT based on them NOT having brakes for sale!

You have your fan-boy cap a bit too tight. This isn't personal, it's business. I hope they can ramp up production one day.

at least they're giving realistic timelines and not spewing "two weeks..." ad infinitum

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not currently but I have. Why?
for the quality of components they're turning out, you need high quality production equipment. being ze germans (who are known for high quality engineering, and is apparent on the trickstuff components) it's not a matter of just saying "oh lets make more". my company has certain product families that are toleranced out to x.xxxx and even x.xxxxx. they take a painfully long time to make, and it takes high precision equipment to make them within spec (edit: and also to measure and confirm they are in spec). it's not as simple as just going and grabbing another CNC mill, the kinds of mills that are that precise start around a quarter million. a small company like TS is unlikely to have that kind of capital just sitting around.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
for the quality of components they're turning out, you need high quality production equipment. being ze germans (who are known for high quality engineering, and is apparent on the trickstuff components) it's not a matter of just saying "oh lets make more". my company has certain product families that are toleranced out to x.xxxx and even x.xxxxx. they take a painfully long time to make, and it takes high precision equipment to make them within spec (edit: and also to measure and confirm they are in spec). it's not as simple as just going and grabbing another CNC mill, the kinds of mills that are that precise start around a quarter million. a small company like TS is unlikely to have that kind of capital just sitting around.
I appreciate that and know what high tolerance machining takes, costs, etc. I've not suggested any fix, easy, cheap or otherwise. I'm just commenting (sorry whining!) that since they hit the ground post-kickstarter they continue to struggle with making parts and shipping brakes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I appreciate that and know what high tolerance machining takes, costs, etc. I've not suggested any fix, easy, cheap or otherwise. I'm just commenting (sorry whining!) that since they hit the ground post-kickstarter they continue to struggle with making parts and shipping brakes.
1583764668745.png

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You, the great Nick, being unable to get the exact color brake you want right now somehow equating to the company being "unable to get their shit together" is silly. I'm at least most of the things you've accused me of, but what jonKranked (#1677) said re: manufacturing is the reality. Upon receiving and inspecting the brake I felt their profit margin for the material and manufacturing quality (especially given the small volume output) is very likely on the low side.

I'll put the fanboy cap on when I can trade the lame thankyou messages for cash. Nothing in it for me.
I bought mine in 2017 and I'm still very happy, but YMMV.

@Sandro @Flo33 @slimshady if you see a silver pair of DRT pop up please send this gentleman a PM.