Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Ditto. The HC levers are a bit taller/thicker than Shimano but still have a good hook at the end (compared to SRAM). HC3 dentist levers are smaller and feel great.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
No idea if they're still delivering to the US, but I bought our MT7's for ~$260 per set and $20 for 203 rotors from bike-components.de and bike-discount.de MT5's are super cheap too, ~$135 per set.

edit: looks like bike discount are not, but bike components are delivering to the US for ~$40ish. Throw some tyres and pads in there and with the brake savings the postage isn't even a factor.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
No idea if they're still delivering to the US, but I bought our MT7's for ~$260 per set and $20 for 203 rotors from bike-components.de and bike-discount.de
I'd still like to try those out. I'm a guy who likes the same brakes on all of my bikes, and has run saint m820s on the DH and trails bikes. If the Maguras solve the consistency problem, and feel good, I may have to consider making a switch.

We should pull a shuttle whore day with big bikes someplace. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd still like to try those out. I'm a guy who likes the same brakes on all of my bikes, and has run saint m820s on the DH and trails bikes. If the Maguras solve the consistency problem, and feel good, I may have to consider making a switch.

trickstuff is supposedly going to start taking orders again in 12 days...... at least that website still states they should be resuming business after pausing for the restructure/expansion

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

I was only wondering earlier with this warm weather what Apex is like as I've not been in it for months. I was thinking about suggesting to wifey doing our self shuttle which is drive down with road bikes, pedal back up the mountain and then use the DH bikes to retrieve the car.

Open to shuttle though :D

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thanks guys. I have XL-XXL hands and have to run Shimano and Code levers very far inboard to 1 finger brake. It looks like the higher end Maguras have a shorter lever option.

The Codes are getting tired, and I'm looking for a stronger mineral oil brake that doesn't have Shimano issues. MT5 appear to tick all the boxes other than the odd looks/ergos.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you have larger hands they can be setup for 1 finger braking. Thankfully I have reasonably big mittens. I can't fathom how anyone with smaller hands could get on with the levers however. It definitely took me a few rides to position the levers in a sweet spot for one finger braking.

Otherwise I've been pretty impressed with them compared to the Shimano's I've had. Loads of power and haven't leaked at either the lever or calipers yet....

I thought you had weird MT5e for ebike brakes?

How are people liking MT5s? Is the lever ergos OK?

I have been running MT5s for a couple years and I'm always impressed with the reliability and consistency. I still feel that the ergonomics are a step behind shimano and others, but you don't need perfect ergonomics when you aren't pushing maximum effort into every braking effort. The stupid square lever blades are not comfortable, but they can be positioned where you want them. The modulation is perfect and power is great with the right pads. Back to back runs with saints and some SRAM garbage confirmed how good these are.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I thought you had weird MT5e for ebike brakes?
I do. They're just MT5's with far better stock pads that are setup with 4 independent pads for each piston similar to the MT7's....oh and the letter E is pad printed on them in a few places. Basically they are setup the way that most people that purchase stock MT5's end up configuring theirs after a month or two to maximize performance.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I do. They're just MT5's with far better stock pads that are setup with 4 independent pads for each piston similar to the MT7's....oh and the letter E is pad printed on them in a few places. Basically they are setup the way that most people that purchase stock MT5's end up configuring theirs after a month or two to maximize performance.
Interesting, I thought they came with 3 finger levers with a bell end instead of 2 finger and open stabby end

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Interesting, I thought they came with 3 finger levers with a bell end instead of 2 finger and open stabby end
I think there are a few versions. I got mine from Merlin.

I'd strongly recommend anyone looking at regular MT5's to get these instead. They're just better out of the box.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I *think* this is a new 2021 sku from Magura that combines the MT-5 with the shorter "HC" lever, called the MT-5 HC. I can't find it for sale anywhere, but that may just be Corona- buying bubble. There is also a Fabio Wibmer MT-5 set with the shorter levers, and his cool signature on it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I *think* this is a new 2021 sku from Magura that combines the MT-5 with the shorter "HC" lever, called the MT-5 HC. I can't find it for sale anywhere, but that may just be Corona- buying bubble. There is also a Fabio Wibmer MT-5 set with the shorter levers, and his cool signature on it.

If you buy from a German store pick up some spare pads too, they have performance and race variants - I can't comment on how either feel as I don't have enough time on them. But they're a lot cheaper over there than here.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've found the Trickstuff pads for MT5/7 to be really nice, and cheaper than the Magura ones, but I have to file off the orange paint on the edges and inside the keeper bolt hole to prevent binding.

dgriff

Chimp
Jan 8, 2020
+1 on the Trickstuff pads, they have more power than the Magura performance and race pads.

Also I've broken two levers. Once in a crash, right where the clamp screw threads into lever body, and once trying swap levers and hitting the pin that the lever rotates on too hard.

And one more also, I've found these to be difficult to get a good bleed on. Had to have a shop bleed them twice while on a trip without the tools to bleed them myself and they couldn't get it right either.

Theres a strong possibility my issues are because of my shitty mechanic skills but figured I'd throw them out there in case anyone else had similar struggles. But they do work really well and have a distinct lack of wandering bite point so those annoyances have been worth it.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan

View attachment 156061
The question remains. Can a turd actually be polished?

^dgriff, they certainly require some pedantics in order to achieve a proper bleed. My shop curses me to the point where I don’t even ask them to bleed them anymore, I’ve achieved a proper technique (I don’t be ticklin or nothin) finally after much trial and error and rarely have to bleed mine anymore. Some tips:
-Make sure your lever is rotated perfectly parallel before starting
-Tap and squeeze the lever while doing the bleed
-Use the push pull method, fill the top syringe push it back to the bottom syringe
-Make sure you’re using the proper bleed blocks
-drill a hole in your top syringe toward the top. It makes for a god damn mess when you’re removing it but it allows the system to actually get bubbles out instead of just trapping them somewhere...
-Overfill the master cylinder slightly before installing the cap, seems minor but in my opinion without using the cap to press excess fluid out while sealing you are guaranteed to trap air in the system.

you’ll be surprised how many air bubbles pop up using the above technique even after already having a seemingly solid bleed, good luck.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

There is a type of MT5 called the "MT Trail Sport" that combines an MT5 front caliper, MT4 rear, and the MT5 HC lever bodies. COVID has killed free international shipping, but eventually I'll have a set on my trail bike. I would consider swapping the long lever blade from my dh bike with the shorty levers as I don't believe ergonomics are as essential when you aren't braking hard all the time....but whatever.

I upgraded my MT5 performance pads to race compound and finally got the opportunity to use them in anger. The improvement in braking wasn't phenomenal, but power did go up and fade did go down. The place I rode isn't known for extended, high-heat braking runs, but I had no issues all day. Do note that if you buy MT5s, they will probably come with performance/comfort pads, and may not come with retaining pins, which are necessary for swapping between the dual-fixed-pad setup and the 4 individual pads. None of the aftermarket varietals appear to come with the pins. Also, all of maguras pads are at least semi-organic, so I wouldn't be surprised if you can get even more power out of a full sintered aftermarket compound. Magura believes that the organic pads keep more heat in the rotor than in the brake system, and therefore doesn't sell a full metallic setup.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Do note that if you buy MT5s, they will probably come with performance/comfort pads, and may not come with retaining pins, which are necessary for swapping between the dual-fixed-pad setup and the 4 individual pads. None of the aftermarket varietals appear to come with the pins.
fwiw-shimano pins (at least from some
M985 brakes) are compatible with magura calipers, so if you end up needing pins, it’s easy to source em pretty cheap on eBay. Even mega lightzors titanium ones!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Damn, that would have been nice to know. I spent extra on the maggie pads to get the pins that I thought I would need for aftermarket pads in the future. oh well, the race pads are great, and quiet too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody with time/experience with cheap-ass amazon brake pads? I have some XT m775 brakes on my commuter bike that were a donate/trade pair from a friend. I have a really nice bleed on them but they still have no power at all. My rotors are virtually new so that leads me to believe it's the pads, but I also don't want to spend much money on a bike I use almost specifically for riding around the block with my kids. I've had other pairs of these brakes and they weren't very good either...

I'm eyeballing these stupid things in semi-metallic: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DX5NLTD/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AX0NIODS799P5 Don't need huge power nor fade resistance, just good bite and enough power to slow myself and maybe a trailer down at the end of the sidewalk.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds like this could be the last pair of pads you buy for that rig given the limited use. Just get the ones you know will work rather than mess around with some cheap "stupid" shit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anybody with time/experience with cheap-ass amazon brake pads? I have some XT m775 brakes on my commuter bike that were a donate/trade pair from a friend. I have a really nice bleed on them but they still have no power at all. My rotors are virtually new so that leads me to believe it's the pads, but I also don't want to spend much money on a bike I use almost specifically for riding around the block with my kids. I've had other pairs of these brakes and they weren't very good either...

I'm eyeballing these stupid things in semi-metallic: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DX5NLTD/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AX0NIODS799P5 Don't need huge power nor fade resistance, just good bite and enough power to slow myself and maybe a trailer down at the end of the sidewalk.
Try some Truckerco pads so they're coming from somewhere legit

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Wow I didn’t know the Magura MCs are plastic!
Isn't it their "carbotecture" stuff? which they claim they use to make BMW motorcycle clutches out of? No opinion either way, but I've been running the MT5 for a couple of years without a bleed, or loss of power and modulation. still love em.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What are your thoughts on MT5/7 caliper with Formula Cura cylinder? I am a bit fed up with plastic Magura levers (broke 4 or 5 of them in 3 seasons). I just dont trust Shimano anymore, so this brings me to Formula. In theory power should stay the same (same cylinder piston diameter)
Actually that's not true, even if they have the same MC diameter, the total leverage is a function of both hydraulic and mechanical leverage - and if you check the spreadsheet you can clearly see that the Formula lever has lower mechanical leverage (6.14 vs. 7.36 at quick glance).

I would verify all numbers before taking the spreadsheet values as absolute fact, however if we assume the measurements as true, there will be a 16.5% (i.e. significant) reduction in peak force for your proposed combination versus the stock MT5/7.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Thanks Udi!

Did somebody maesure Hayes Dominion A4 yet? That looks like the best option if I decide to go the full new system route. I ve heard stories about very high hydraulic leverage, but am unable to source where this info came from.
There were a few graphs comparing the A4 with other brakes in the launch article on Pinkbike if I remember correctly. The graphs might also be somewhere in this thread...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I can't believe I'm saying this about a Hayes product, but Dominion A4s are on the research list now...

Have you Cura4 users figured out the bleed issues? I love my Cura2s on the little bike.

Last edited: