Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
12-15 months for a set of Trickstuff, wonder what bike I'll be riding by the time they show up?

I can't believe I'm saying this about a Hayes product, but Dominion A4s are on the research list now...

Have you Cura4 users figured out the bleed issues? I love my Cura2s on the little bike.
Never had bleed issues per se, problem I've had is that the lever reservoir volume is too small so when they were out they run out of fluid. Topping them up periodically fixes it. Major design flaw, but they've been an otherwise great brake.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thanks! How long does it take to wear out the reservoir?

Never had bleed issues per se, problem I've had is that the lever reservoir volume is too small so when they were out they run out of fluid. Topping them up periodically fixes it. Major design flaw, but they've been an otherwise great brake.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Thanks! How long does it take to wear out the reservoir?
At about half pad life and again at about 15%. It’s also a bit gradual, so it’s not like it’ll catch you out halfway through a ride. All you have to do is level up the lever, pull the bleed screw, squirt a little fluid in there, squeeze the lever a couple times, then squirt a bit more fluid in there to top off. Crack the cap when you push the pistons back in at pad changes to let the excess fluid out. An unfortunate oversight in the design of an otherwise really nice brake.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
For those using the MT5e's, are you using the corresponding e bike rotors or not bothering? The two piece rotors seem interesting but only available in 200/220 which is absolutely not necessary on my trail bike given my normal riding.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
For those using the MT5e's, are you using the corresponding e bike rotors or not bothering? The two piece rotors seem interesting but only available in 200/220 which is absolutely not necessary on my trail bike given my normal riding.
Not bothering.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I find the fused MT7 pads from Trickstuff to be a bit less sensitive to alignment than the Magura 8.P individual pads. I do find that the orange paint they put on the body can sometimes be a bit thick and cause drag, so I file it off on the sides and out of the retaining bolt holes. They're remarkably cheap if you buy them from Germany too, like $16/set.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They do, but they also squeal like mad with as few as three water molecules deposited on a rotor.
I'm fine with that. The most rain this bike will see is likely shitty beer being spilled on it on my way back from the bar.

who is MT7s ?

are all MT7 4-pad setups? that just seems finicky vs 2 pads per caliper.
the high end compounds come in 4 pad. There is a performance and comfort two-piece pad. If what I had was a performance pad (in black), then I would not recommend them. I now have their 4 piece race pad and it's far better- better bite and overall power. Consistency was similar between the two but power was lacking on the performance pad.

The ad copy was that the four pads have four leading edges and therefore more bite. I can't say for sure that my upgrade was from four leading edges or from a better compound, but I'm happy.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
The 2-piece pads have 2 sections of pad compound, and therefore two leading edges per side as well, so I’d go with compound, as I didn’t really notice much of a difference between 2-piece and 1 piece pads of the same compound in practice.

I found the performance compound to be similar to koolstop and shimano organic/resin pads. Better performance dry/dusty, but under-gunned in the wet.

I found the Race pads to be more similar to EBC red pads. Very good in the dry, but burn through them faster for sure.

If anyone needs MT 5/7 pads, I have 2 pair of new Koolstops, and 2 pair of installed/not yet burned in pairs sitting around #madcheapdawg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The 2-piece pads have 2 sections of pad compound, and therefore two leading edges per side as well, so I’d go with compound, as I didn’t really notice much of a difference between 2-piece and 1 piece pads of the same compound in practice.

I found the performance compound to be similar to koolstop and shimano organic/resin pads. Better performance dry/dusty, but under-gunned in the wet.

I found the Race pads to be more similar to EBC red pads. Very good in the dry, but burn through them faster for sure.

If anyone needs MT 5/7 pads, I have 2 pair of new Koolstops, and 2 pair of installed/not yet burned in pairs sitting around #madcheapdawg

ohhhhhhhh, I misinterpreted that. I found some other commentary that it helps save some weight and dissipate heat better. So yeah, go with what floats your boat. When I was shopping for pads, all of the aftermarket pads were four piece, so that's what I got.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I do think that the 2-part pads can accommodate for small variance in piston roll back, so they hit the rotor more square when fresh, so that should help too. They are also much easier to install and remove than the 1 piece pads with the folded retainer flange.

JakeSM

Chimp
Mar 14, 2021
I've fitted my m4100 levers, fitted some fresh Galfer pads and given them a bleed through with some plutoline hpx fluid. I have an xt 4 pot front caliper (8120?) and a deore 4 pot rear caliper.
They bled really easily and after bedding the pads in riding up and down the street the brakes feel really nice. I'll give them a proper test in the woods soon, but I'm so happy with the feel of them so far I thought I'd update you.
The levers are a bit longer than the servo-wave alternatives, but for me with large-ish hands they fit great - the ergonomics are better than servo wave levers which put a I-spec shifter too close to my thumb. The lever feel is firm, with good modulation and there's less lever throw than I expected (maybe less than on my mt5, but with more pad clearance, is that even possible??!?) The power builds smoothly too and I can't wait to take them out for a proper ride.
Maybe I missed the follow up on this but how has it been?
My New 5010 Has M820 Saint 4 Pots and the servo-wave lever (almost magnetic feeling click click click) annoys the hell out of me. I tossed a 15 yr old M800 lever on the rear to compare to the front and it works** but the pinch bolt limits shifter position. So I want to try my saint 4 pots with the Non-servo BL-M4100 so I can have my cake and eat it too (or M9100 non-servo with stimulus check lol). But I'm a little weary, my buddy just ripped of his M6000 because of the need for frequent bleeding, maybe he got a bad pair?
I did observe that m6000 and m8000 levers have a less aggressive ramp in the servo-wave and softer click feeling compared to the saint.

** on Full stroke the M820 lever is stronger (long stroke), advance the pads a little with the wheel out for shorter stroke and the lever becomes much more tolerable for me.
**on Short stroke the M800 edges ahead because the 820 doesn't get to the high ratio portion of the stroke. The Old lever feels pretty ideal on the 4 pots but again, the clamp and old things are getting harder to find.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Anyone come across a place that has MT5's in stock with shipping to the US? There are some on Ebay, but $$$. Been loving these on my DH bike...want to swap out the much hated Code R's on my trail bike.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone come across a place that has MT5's in stock with shipping to the US? There are some on Ebay, but $$$. Been loving these on my DH bike...want to swap out the much hated Code R's on my trail bike.
I just checked a few places I've bought from overseas before and zero stock with 6 month lead times quoted.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I just checked a few places I've bought from overseas before and zero stock with 6 month lead times quoted.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That's 150 freedum tokens per brake though. Buying from Yurp they're 180 per set.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks, still cheaper than the Ebay option. Haven't tried that lever previously but might be worth a shot.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
been shopping for these myself, in particular the mt trail sport. Nobody has them. Actually, Merlin in the UK does, but $220 a set is as high as I've ever seen them. Starbike has the mt trail carbons for 429, but I'm not sure 30 grams and better pads is worth $200.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Try to get these instead. Alloy clamp vs. the standard MT5 plastic ones that will eventually will break and be replaced with the alloy version. Stock 4 piece pads that have more bite than the weak 2 piece pads of the standard MT5. Price is a bargain.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007

Try to get these instead. Alloy clamp vs. the standard MT5 plastic ones that will eventually will break and be replaced with the alloy version. Stock 4 piece pads that have more bite than the weak 2 piece pads of the standard MT5. Price is a bargain.
I was, but those are even more out of stock everywhere. Haven't found anywhere that has them.

Monty219

Chimp
Feb 18, 2021
Hey i found this thread a few weeks ago and finally caught up with every page. It has been an interesting read. I am a late 90s Magura enthusiast from the days of HS33’s on trials bikes. Missed the Louise/ Julie generation, got back on MT 5s and trails over the past few years. Went shigura on my main rig after breaking bleed ports twice during maintenance. Was my fault for using an old aluminum fitting in the master bleed port, but now very happy with the M8000 masters (203 storm rotors, galfer pads). Haven’t reached the failure point on the masters yet. About to build up a duplicate setup for my second bike. Couldn't find full MT5s so bought the calipers separately. Needed hoses and fittings and found the only way to get a banjo for MT calipers is to buy it attached to the magura hose. Jagwire sells full hose kit except missing the banjos. Does anyone know a source for seperately purchasing magura banjos? I have plenty of spare hose but cant use it without the banjo. i could maybe reuse an old one but a source for new ones would be great.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Hey i found this thread a few weeks ago and finally caught up with every page. It has been an interesting read. I am a late 90s Magura enthusiast from the days of HS33’s on trials bikes. Missed the Louise/ Julie generation, got back on MT 5s and trails over the past few years. Went shigura on my main rig after breaking bleed ports twice during maintenance. Was my fault for using an old aluminum fitting in the master bleed port, but now very happy with the M8000 masters (203 storm rotors, galfer pads). Haven’t reached the failure point on the masters yet. About to build up a duplicate setup for my second bike. Couldn't find full MT5s so bought the calipers separately. Needed hoses and fittings and found the only way to get a banjo for MT calipers is to buy it attached to the magura hose. Jagwire sells full hose kit except missing the banjos. Does anyone know a source for seperately purchasing magura banjos? I have plenty of spare hose but cant use it without the banjo. i could maybe reuse an old one but a source for new ones would be great.
These should work:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The banjos are crimped to the hose. I too was looking everywhere, the only reliable solution I found is the original magura hose that can be bought for $50/piece, IIRC. With a magura olive, it works in Shimano MCs.