Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So are there any US distro's for Trickstuff pads or do you need to purchase from the EU? Anyone have any suggestions where to buy these from to be delivered stateside in a reasonable time frame?

I want to give these a go in my Magura MT5 Estops.

Otherwise any alternatives to the Race pads that anyone would recommend?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Never found US sellers on the Trickstuff pads, ended up just ordering 6 pairs of them from zee Germans to make the shipping cost suck less. Been running their red pads on my Cura 4s and they're great! Loads of power, and nearly silent no matter what you do to them and pretty inexpensive.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sorry if I've missed it, is there any consensus on TRP's DH Evo brakes? I'm tired of SRAM brakes and a little concerned about Shimano. The TRP's seem to check a lot of boxes but real-world reports seem pretty scarce.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Im running the Quadiems, so I think the Evo DH model is even moar better, but I've absolutely loved mine. I'd say 8/10 or 9/10 for power depending on the rotor size, and 10/10 modulation (which according to Woo doesn't matter :think:) and decent ergonomics. Most importantly for me is that they've been trouble free - of my 2 pairs I've bled one caliper which as it turns out had a knick in the brake hose somehow. I run Shimano metal pads in mine, although I think TRP makes a decent metal pad now. Subopt has a pair of the older DH models and his have been solid but I want to say there were some weird rotor fitment issues (which I believe have been addressed). @Westy runs TRPs too and I think he also gives them the teste of approval.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Two pairs of Quadiems here. My assessment is similar to jackalope's. For reference I am 185 lbs and regularly put them through 1500 ft of sustained descending with no issues.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Never found US sellers on the Trickstuff pads, ended up just ordering 6 pairs of them from zee Germans to make the shipping cost suck less. Been running their red pads on my Cura 4s and they're great! Loads of power, and nearly silent no matter what you do to them and pretty inexpensive.
This is about where I'm at.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Sorry if I've missed it, is there any consensus on TRP's DH Evo brakes? I'm tired of SRAM brakes and a little concerned about Shimano. The TRP's seem to check a lot of boxes but real-world reports seem pretty scarce.
I dealt with them for 2 years with our team and I prefer the Hayes Dominion A4.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Im running the Quadiems, so I think the Evo DH model is even moar better, but I've absolutely loved mine. I'd say 8/10 or 9/10 for power depending on the rotor size, and 10/10 modulation (which according to Woo doesn't matter :think:) and decent ergonomics. Most importantly for me is that they've been trouble free - of my 2 pairs I've bled one caliper which as it turns out had a knick in the brake hose somehow. I run Shimano metal pads in mine, although I think TRP makes a decent metal pad now. Subopt has a pair of the older DH models and his have been solid but I want to say there were some weird rotor fitment issues (which I believe have been addressed). @Westy runs TRPs too and I think he also gives them the teste of approval.
I found the Quadiums more reliable and consistent than the DH version. The thick rotors were nice though.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Just to echo others, I've got 2 sets of quadiems which have been as reported and completely reliable over the last 2-3 years (aside from changing pads). My DH-R brakes have also been solid. They do require specific thicker brake rotors and my rear brake had an issue where despite using the correct adapter, it left the pad contact area 1mm above the inside edge of the rotor. This has been handled by TRP. As far as power, with metal pads (the stock ones are organic) they have enough power that I'm happy--but are not as strong as my old Zee brakes. The biggest upside to the modulation for me is being able to feather brakes in some corners without braking traction more than I want. Supposedly the new DH-EVO brakes are even stronger--I'd get a set if I needed new brakes.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's disappointing. I was heavily considering TRP, but I want that ability to totally clamp down and brake-check on the steep stuff when I have the traction. That IME is key to reducing arm pump and being able to ride for longer and not get as worked by the terrain. I need to try more brakes, but so far shimano only really delivered that...well, that and totally unreliable performance.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just to echo others, I've got 2 sets of quadiems which have been as reported and completely reliable over the last 2-3 years (aside from changing pads). My DH-EVO brakes have also been solid. They do require specific thicker brake rotors and my rear brake had an issue where despite using the correct adapter, it left the pad contact area 1mm above the inside edge of the rotor. This has been handled by TRP. As far as power, with metal pads (the stock ones are organic) they have enough power that I'm happy--but are not as strong as my old Zee brakes. The biggest upside to the modulation for me is being able to feather brakes in some corners without braking traction more than I want. Supposedly the new DH-EVO brakes are even stronger--I'd get a set if I needed new brakes.
Thanks. Are you saying there is more than one version of the DH-EVO out there?

Jun 27, 2017
Every sponsored / fast DH rider I've seen on Magura MT5/7 has the levers ziptied or rubber banded, I've seen it from as early as 2016 right through to 2021. I've said it before, the levers are kinda shitty.

They're a good affordable brake, they stop very well.
They aren't a great affordable brake.
That doesn't exist.
I don't know. I bought cura 4s for 105 quid per end. That's pretty affordable.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
No Shimano here, but this may be of interest to some.
Interesting. Sorry if I've missed it, is there evidence or consensus that the wandering bite point is related to contamination? In other words, does this seem like an actual fix? Seems like I hear about people having the bite point problem with brand new brakes/no contamination.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Interesting. Sorry if I've missed it, is there evidence or consensus that the wandering bite point is related to contamination? In other words, does this seem like an actual fix? Seems like I hear about people having the bite point problem with brand new brakes/no contamination.
Yeah, one issue is the lever seals eventually give out, I guess that's the ultimate "inconsistent bite point" problem, but that's not the same thing. The levers seals give out supposedly due to the cast MC bore and wear that it causes on the shaft and seals, so I'm not sure how this helps. The inconsistent bite point is due to the (non) replenishment of fluid when you cycle the lever AFAIK.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh yeah, and those assholes claim to be able to fix the wandering bite point with a "super bleed" in another article.

So yeah, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Given that so many bike reviewers complain about the wandering bite points (after receiving brand new bikes at launch), I have a hard time believing that it's contamination.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
No bite point inconsistency with Magura calipers in my experience which leads me to believe that the Shimano calipers are 80% responsible for the issue as they leak around the piston seals.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Given that so many bike reviewers complain about the wandering bite points (after receiving brand new bikes at launch), I have a hard time believing that it's contamination.
It is contamination. My brakes are contaminated by shimano.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
This fundamental question is probably covered dozens of times in this thread alone, but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I would like to run XT MCs / levers with Magura MT7 calipers. To do this I (think that I) need to use a Shimano olive and a Magura barb. Is that correct? I currently have the MT7s installed on the bike so I would be using the Magura hose and switching over to Magura fluid. That all sound right? If not, feel free to heckle...or provide better advice...

Background: Fuck Magura and that shitty assed lever design. Both return mechanisms broke within a week of each other. No crashes. No abuse. Reached the index finger up out of the death grip last night to grab the front lever and it "wasn't there." It was so far forward that I couldn't get to it without nearly letting go of the bars. FTS.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@chuffer
I personally used barb and olive from shimano on Magura's hose. No issue

Oil-wise, I went for Bionol because it is plant based and great for my skin. Check the excel sheet in the first post to decide about your favourite oil. Magura's is not so great...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have two pair on backorder, hoping to have had them by now. I've not heard or read anything but praise, so rolling the dice.
Front brakes are in, rear brakes ETA end of the month. Anybody wanting to try the DH-R EVOs should call TRP and place an order. Backorders will be filled first before stock goes on their website.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This fundamental question is probably covered dozens of times in this thread alone, but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I would like to run XT MCs / levers with Magura MT7 calipers. To do this I (think that I) need to use a Shimano olive and a Magura barb. Is that correct? I currently have the MT7s installed on the bike so I would be using the Magura hose and switching over to Magura fluid. That all sound right? If not, feel free to heckle...or provide better advice...

Background: Fuck Magura and that shitty assed lever design. Both return mechanisms broke within a week of each other. No crashes. No abuse. Reached the index finger up out of the death grip last night to grab the front lever and it "wasn't there." It was so far forward that I couldn't get to it without nearly letting go of the bars. FTS.
Magura olive + barb worked for me with Saint MCs. No need to switch to expensive/crappy Magura fluid, Shimano fluid works just fine.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Magura olive + barb worked for me with Saint MCs. No need to switch to expensive/crappy Magura fluid, Shimano fluid works just fine.
There's a piece on PB where the users argued the lighter viscosity of the Magural oil prevented the dreaded wandering bite point from happening. Some useres recommended Putoline or redline LikeWater SAE 2.5 oil instead of the Shimano one.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's a piece on PB where the users argued the lighter viscosity of the Magural oil prevented the dreaded wandering bite point from happening. Some useres recommended Putoline or redline LikeWater SAE 2.5 oil instead of the Shimano one.
IME, it minimizes it a bit, but the issue doesn't go away.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Valid (IMHO) comment on PB about Shimano wandering bite point and ceramic pistons.
The problem is two fold. Every Shimano brake I've worked on has had air in the reservoir. Didn't matter if they were new stock or OE on bikes. Every single one. When we noticed this at the shop I used to work at, we started bleeding every brake we got in. Sucks, but at least it's easy an prevents a customer from having to wonder if they're brake is failing. Second, the wandering bite point tends to only affect brakes using the ceramic caliper pistons. For my personal SLX set, I replaced the pistons and seals with aftermarket phenolic ones and the problem went away completely, even on rides at -20F. The surface on the ceramic pistons is rougher than the phenolic ones found in Deore and lower tier brakes, and I suspect that surface finish is affecting the amount of seal slip for the caliper piston, causing the seal to roll more rather than let the piston slide through, so you end up having too much retraction at the caliper. It also explains why folx who go out and pick up a Magura caliper and run it on their Shimano MC don't report this issue. So, as for this product? I'd want to see the data that lead them to their conclusions.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Thanks, all. Went with Shimano barb and olive, because that is what the lbs had and Shimano oil, because that is what I had.

Other than ham fisting an olive, it was surprisingly painless...so far. First impression is more grabby less modulation riding circles in the garage...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Dafuq is up with using Shimano MC's for frankenbrakes? Don't they go to crap and get all leaky/worn after 1 years use???

IME a shimano MC has a 1 year life before it's kaputz.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Dafuq is up with using Shimano MC's for frankenbrakes? Don't they go to crap and get all leaky/worn after 1 years use???

Cheap, good ergonomics and easily available but yes disposable

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Can someone here who likes the marshy/gravity bleed convince me that it's not a stupid idea?

It "works" is not good enough

I dont know why someone would want to fight airs natural tendency to accumulate in the top of a hydraulic system. Trying to force it down through and potentially depositing it along the way.

Seems rather counter intuitive

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I believe xt is 2 years and xtr 3? Unless they changed it due to acknowledging how bad they suck.