Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Have we discussed these babies yet? Looks like a made in ‘Murcia brake is on the horizon

PNW components

View attachment 162824
I recall seeing them on Vital's rumors thread a while back. I think at the time someone asked Cascade about it, and they indicated that they were basically replacement calipers for CODES. I could be remembering wrong though.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
I'm still on Hayes Dominion A2 on the DH bike and happy out with them, way better than curas I had last. they roast pads a bit quick though.

I think the new formula discs are a bit weird - seem howlier than the old drilled style on the wet and they might just be a bit thin for uplift days on a modern bike.

Got some galfer wave discs, nicely priced at under 40 euro for 223/203 and 2mm thick discs. can't wait to try them after the good stuff I heard about thicc rotors

update- the 223 rotor and adapter arrived so I put them on. rotor is a good bit stiffer than the formula 220. the galfer adapter I got is a +20 but the rotor hits my dominion A2 caliper. I ended up just putting some washers under a ride alpha +17 adapter and seems to have done the job. fork is a 2018ish fox 40. not sure if dominion A4s will have the same problem.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002

New rotors from the two big players.

Trying to get my head around the 7% more power claim from SRAM on the thicker rotors. It it just the brake track surface area increase?
how much better was DUB over any other 30mm standard?

I'm sure on some power meter somewhere, once, they measured 7% increase in something...but I cannot see how an increase in thickness would add power unless the new rotor has a different friction coeffecient with new/other pads or whatever.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I'm sure on some power meter somewhere, once, they measured 7% increase in something...but I cannot see how an increase in thickness would add power unless the new rotor has a different friction coeffecient with new/other pads or whatever.
Yeah, especially that for a relatively minor increase in diameter you get a big increase in circumference/braking area. Not that you wouldn’t want thicker rotors, but the “well these are good enough now that they are thicker” seems like BS to me.

Boozzz

Chimp
Sep 12, 2019
Don't be so scientific, it has magic paint man!

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

%7 of not much is probably hard to measure:sarcastic: