Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Have the new EXP hubs been having problems? I haven't seen much discussion of them.
Bad manufacturing batch, or tolerances or the cat ate their homework.

Big thread on emptybeer wheels forum. Certainly wouldn't be my current choice for a bullet proof wheelset. Old 240 or current 350 are still good if you can find them in stock.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah I've seen at least 2 bike reviews on other websites where the ratchets failed. One of my buddies has a bike he got in January that had the ratchet fail in the fancy DT carbon wheels (EXP 240 hubs) too.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah I've seen at least 2 bike reviews on other websites where the ratchets failed. One of my buddies has a bike he got in January that had the ratchet fail in the fancy DT carbon wheels (EXP 240 hubs) too.
Pinkbike and...?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
implementing a new ERP system but no mention of a buyout

Dear Trickstuff customers,
the year is coming to an end and for us a big and long-awaited step is coming up.

At the end of the year, we will implement a new enterprise resource planning system so that we can better control and handle our processes.

In order to be able to complete this massive change successfully, we are dedicating all our time and energy to this task and during this time we will not offer customer service and will close our webshop.

The Trickstuff team and our webshop will not be available from 18.12.2021 until 10.01.2022.

We thank you for your patience and understanding and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

We are looking forward to 2022 with you.

Your Trickstuff Team

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
hopefully ramping up manufacturing doesn't come with the typical price tag of reduction in quality.
Agreed.
The engineering is done, and DT has the benefit of knowing how to mfg at scale. So long as they don't replace CNC hours and high end sub components with stamped, rough parts, and with a lot of focus on a global distribution network, and a little bit of good luck ....

I still might be able to buy a pair by 2023 :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Agreed.
The engineering is done, and DT has the benefit of knowing how to mfg at scale. So long as they don't replace CNC hours and high end sub components with stamped, rough parts, and with a lot of focus on a global distribution network, and a little bit of good luck ....

I still might be able to buy a pair by 2023 :D
i'd like to think both entities realize that one of the reason TS has gained the popularity they have is because of their extremely high quality. any sacrifices to that will likely kill the brand.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
i'd like to think both entities realize that one of the reason TS has gained the popularity they have is because of their extremely high quality. any sacrifices to that will likely kill the brand.
agree with that too.

I wonder if DT having a brake line might be a precursor to them developing drivetrain parts

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Remember what they did with Pace? Bought them, initially relabelled their forks, starting to develop new models...and where are they now? More niche than Pace IMO, or at least I see them less on the trail.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Imagine placing an $$$$ order 12 months ago, only to watch the company change ownership and receiving a DT-mass made set 6 months down the road.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Imagine placing an $$$$ order 12 months ago, only to watch the company change ownership and receiving a DT-mass made set 6 months down the road.
reading the press release, it sounds like TS will be maintaining its own manufacturing, but DT will provide support more with the back end business infrastructure, stuff like ERP (which they are already in the process of updating), etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
reading the press release, it sounds like TS will be maintaining its own manufacturing, but DT will provide support more with the back end business infrastructure, stuff like ERP (which they are already in the process of updating), etc.
Wasn't the issue that they didn't actually have their own manufacturing in the first place and had to schedule out runs around other people's schedules at machine shops?

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wasn't the issue that they didn't actually have their own manufacturing in the first place and had to schedule out runs around other people's schedules at machine shops?
They do not have machining/anodizing capacity but assemble product in house. So part of the manufacturing is in house.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's part of it. even when you're outsourcing components / subcomponents you still need an in-house QC team to inspect everything and make sure its within spec, then techs / engineers for final assembly & testing. and you still need a good ERP system to manage it. If anything, having DT backing may help them get a little bit of leverage with their suppliers.

biandon

Chimp
Jul 8, 2002
Has anyone tried pairing a set of TRP DH-R Evo levers to MT7 or Cura 4 calipers? According to NSMB, the MCs have 9mm pistons and are compatible with mineral oil. A TRP/Formula pairing would put it at the very top for hydraulic leverage.

I'm also looking for some brake recommendations.

I've been off a mtb for a while. My last DH bike ('07 26 inch) had Magura Gustav M's with 210F/190R rotors. I remember them having so much initial bite that it was nearly unridable unless I was pointed down hill and I absolutely loved it. I also recall liking the on/off feel of the first gen Saint brakes. I recently got a new bike (27.5) that came with Code RSC 200F/180R. Based on everything I've read online, they're supposedly "powerful" brakes, but I can't get them to work for me. I've tried 2 different sets of rotors and 3 different types of pads. They just don't have the bite I'm looking for.

What do you guys think would get me closest to that old Gustav feeling?

A little math tells me the equivalent 210/190 mm rotors on my 27.5 bike would be 220F/200R which I have on order.

Last edited:

Boozzz

Chimp
Sep 12, 2019
Amsterdayummm
What do you guys reckon about phenolic/plastic or aluminium pistons for the calipers, when not looking at heat transfer but just at reliability/strength?

The reason I ask is, that on my trials bike I seem to go through phenolic pistonned brakes at a somewhat alarming rate. Rear brake in trials sees massive forces, think constant wheel lockups where the brake can barely hold on and sometimes slips even with max lever pressure, lots of hard rocking forwards as well as backwards. So far, two sets of Formula T1 (long time ago) both started leaking massively their first ride. Magura MT5 faired better and started seeping slowly past the pistons in about 1,5 years. Still manageable, but replaced it anyway. Now a Hope V4 two months in and massive leak past one of the smaller pistons. Funny thing is that when cleaned up afterwards and clamped down hard overnight on a bleed block, they remain perfectly dry.

Aluminium pistonned Hope Trial Zones I used on my old bike never had these issues, neither did my very old Hayes Stroker Trails, but I only used the latter ones when just starting out with trials, so maybe not very relevant.

Just coincidental bad luck, or is there anything in it that aluminium pistons could be more reliable, maybe deform less, or perhaps finished smoother?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I recently got a new bike (27.5) that came with Code RSC 200F/180R. Based on everything I've read online, they're supposedly "powerful" brakes, but I can't get them to work for me. I've tried 2 different sets of rotors and 3 different types of pads. They just don't have the bite I'm looking for.

What do you guys think would get me closest to that old Gustav feeling?

A little math tells me the equivalent 210/190 mm rotors on my 27.5 bike would be 220F/200R which I have on order.
It's always worth double-checking that you were using semi-metallic pads, NOT organic. IME, time and time again, that's where the biggest "bite" problem usually is.

Boozzz

Chimp
Sep 12, 2019
Amsterdayummm
Anybody have both the Zee and Saint levers? Was wondering if there's any difference in metal thickness between the two lever blades. Friend of mine is convinced the Saint is the stronger of the two, with more material in the lever blade, but I can't see anything different in online pics.

For a trials Shigura experiment, so the more durable/tougher the lever the better.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What do you guys reckon about phenolic/plastic or aluminium pistons for the calipers, when not looking at heat transfer but just at reliability/strength? So far, two sets of Formula T1 (long time ago) both started leaking massively their first ride. Magura MT5 faired better and started seeping slowly past the pistons in about 1,5 years. Still manageable, but replaced it anyway. Now a Hope V4 two months in and massive leak past one of the smaller pistons.
Interesting scenario. May be worth looking at older Shimano calipers, the M800 and M810 (not M820) have alloy pistons. Maybe getting too old now to find a good / NOS set, but those calipers lasted longer than the new ones and M810 can allow powerful pairings. I would also guess this is an application where Trickstuff will offer significant advantage - stainless pistons in a 7075-T6 caliper bore should wipe the floor with current mainstream options. From what you said though, I'd just re-purchase the MT5.
Anybody have both the Zee and Saint levers? Was wondering if there's any difference in metal thickness between the two lever blades.
Unsure on thickness but with regard to internal build quality they're equally terrible and I'd definitely run the cheaper Zee levers + replace them more often. Regular lever/MC replacement is the best thing you can do for Shimano brakes (which obviously stop very well when working correctly).

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Interesting scenario. May be worth looking at older Shimano calipers, the M800 and M810 (not M820) have alloy pistons. Maybe getting too old now to find a good / NOS set, but those calipers lasted longer than the new ones and M810 can allow powerful pairings. I would also guess this is an application where Trickstuff will offer significant advantage - stainless pistons in a 7075-T6 caliper bore should wipe the floor with current mainstream options. From what you said though, I'd just re-purchase the MT5.
How can you tell the difference between the M810 and M820 callipers udi?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Unsure on thickness but with regard to internal build quality they're equally terrible and I'd definitely run the cheaper Zee levers + replace them more often. Regular lever/MC replacement is the best thing you can do for Shimano brakes (which obviously stop very well when working correctly).
i have a set of M800s. still on my bh bike though. although I'm contemplating new brakes for the DH bike and "retiring" them to the megatrail.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What pads are you using on your Hopes?
At the moment I've got my froth on for the green Galfer Pros on the Mega V4s. I wanna try a set of those on the Smuggler E4s next.

My mate with the Dominions sends me a link to buy Hayes probably once a week the smart ass.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
At the moment I've got my froth on for the green Galfer Pros on the Mega V4s. I wanna try a set of those on the Smuggler E4s next.

My mate with the Dominions sends me a link to buy Hayes probably once a week the smart ass.
Ok, thanks.

Haha, I‘d say move on while people still want the Hopes?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ok, thanks.

Haha, I‘d say move on while people still want the Hopes?
Yeah those Hayes were very impressive. Just hard to get them or parts for them here at the moment. Plus I gotta save for plane tickets now we can finally leave.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Anybody here got any experience of Hayes dominion A2 (2 piston) brakes?
Would be for a UK Enduro bike (steep but relatively short descents) so more interested to hear about consistency and power than any issues you'd only find in long alpine DH use.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Anybody here got any experience of Hayes dominion A2 (2 piston) brakes?
Would be for a UK Enduro bike (steep but relatively short descents) so more interested to hear about consistency and power than any issues in long alpine DH use.
I've mine on a 27.5 DH bike - most of the time I just session shit and trails here are short and steep too. Happy out with them, lever feels great and power is good, no reliability issues really.

The sintered pads get glazed a bit quickly and finish and paint quality on the mc is a bit shit for the price. The semi-sintered ones are still pretty good power wise though, but are a bit less grabby in the wet. Pads are a bit hard to find, but so are most things these days.

Maybe the A4 might be a better shout since there's aftermarket pads for them. I got the A2s way cheaper which is why I dont have A4s.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Thanks. Reason I ask is I've been offered A2s at an absolute steal. If I were to take them they'd be to replace a recently overhauled (new pistons) set of Guide RS which suit me really well.
As I'm in the UK I run sintered all year round on all my bikes and with Guides don't glaze on me at all.
I'll probably just stick with the Guides as i have 3 bikes with them so it makes spares handy and interchangable.
Yeah. If it were the A4 I think it'd be a no brainer.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The latest Downtime podcast has two guys from Magura on it talking the company, their tech etc. Couple of interesting points - I didn't realise Magura doesn't do metallic/sintered pads at all. The other thing was how much of a deal they made of the correct bedding procedure - going as far as to say that if pads were simply bed in through a normal trail ride that they'd be unsavable and you'd need to replace them to get peak performance.

Out of interest, a quick google shows Magura brakes having the most bonkers break in recommendation I've ever seen - 30-50 stops at ~30kph all the way to a standstill. Pretty much every manufacturer I googled was way less.

Both Shimano and SRAM recommend a series of slow dragging brakes, then several fast ones and very specifically - all without locking the wheels at any stage.

Various Youtube tutorials recommend using water on the pads and rotor. Hope's bed in procedure advises against this.

I've pretty much always just chucked pads in and done a few sprints and stops and then gone for a trail ride.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The latest Downtime podcast has two guys from Magura on it talking the company, their tech etc. Couple of interesting points - I didn't realise Magura doesn't do metallic/sintered pads at all. The other thing was how much of a deal they made of the correct bedding procedure - going as far as to say that if pads were simply bed in through a normal trail ride that they'd be unsavable and you'd need to replace them to get peak performance.

Out of interest, a quick google shows Magura brakes having the most bonkers break in recommendation I've ever seen - 30-50 stops at ~30kph all the way to a standstill. Pretty much every manufacturer I googled was way less.

Both Shimano and SRAM recommend a series of slow dragging brakes, then several fast ones and very specifically - all without locking the wheels at any stage.

Various Youtube tutorials recommend using water on the pads and rotor. Hope's bed in procedure advises against this.

I've pretty much always just chucked pads in and done a few sprints and stops and then gone for a trail ride.
I really have to wonder about this. One of the primary reasons for a break-in for auto brakes is to get you up to "full braking" as soon as possible, as you will have reduced braking at first...but then, if your bike is sitting there occasionally being test ridden, before you buy it, are the pads/rotors shot from the get-go because it was ridden without the "break in"? No one does this with an auto, it sits there at the dealer till you buy it. The break-in procedure is just to get you up to max faster. Literally all you are doing is depositing some material on the rotor to help make for a smooth consistent surface. I've noticed a lot of difference in how brakes work over the years, but I can't say it was ever due to break-in, as in if the brakes overheat, it's not because break-in was done right or not. Max power? Haven't really found that to be linked. Different pads (like going to organic) and previous deposits from different pads can be a bit of an issue, but you can usually scrub the rotor fairly easily to get it back enough.