Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
how do these compare to Trickstuff Power pads?
I can't speak to their Hayes performance but I've run both in Hope V4s. They're both pretty damn good, the Power Pads probably have the edge in initial bite brand new but can get cooked a bit easier. The Galfers seem a bit better in all conditions so far, but maybe not as grabby. Either are still bloody good.

After a 3 month trial of the Galfers in the V4s I've ordered more for both bikes (E4s on trail bike).

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
This is so weird, and totally counter to my experience. My T1Ss were certainly consistent, but never powerful. They consistently heated up, consistently squeeled, and consistently rubbed rotors. They had super consistent lever feel until they overheated. I wanted to use them on my trail bike (exceptional trail brakes, IMO) but I swapped mine for MT5s and those were more powerful and fade free on the same trails. A pad upgrade helped even more. Same rotors too.

I'm now all in on magura. Their levers are shit but the brakes work and I've never been left wanting for power on the DH bike with metal pads. The trail bike now has FABIOS and they are really easy to modulate.
Yeah, that sounds a little different to me. That said, I'm running XT pads (LO4Cs with the heatsinks) on Hope upsized floating rotors with the improved seals/pistons. So, better friction, better heat management and better piston retraction. The levers aren't as pretty as some - even the "The Ones" I have on the other bike have nicer looking levers... but the system itself is surprisingly effective.

With that being said, I have yet to test them in a big mountain context i.e. Whistler. YMMV and all that, but I'm a little bit hopeful that they're improved enough for that.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
The A4 with stock pads are really good. The Gaiffer Pro pads are awesome and better when wet/damp and are just more consistent.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, that sounds a little different to me. That said, I'm running XT pads (LO4Cs with the heatsinks) on Hope upsized floating rotors with the improved seals/pistons. So, better friction, better heat management and better piston retraction. The levers aren't as pretty as some - even the "The Ones" I have on the other bike have nicer looking levers... but the system itself is surprisingly effective.

With that being said, I have yet to test them in a big mountain context i.e. Whistler. YMMV and all that, but I'm a little bit hopeful that they're improved enough for that.
Absolutely, sounds like you made a lot of upgrades for power. My hydraulics were great, and it was only mid-run down the steepest of trails around here, but I needed MOAR power

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
A little disappointing really. I mean the lever pivot bearing is a nice touch, but long lever to give more power is a wank - as is 10% of the power increase coming from pad material. Longer lever and smaller master piston must surely increase the throw unless they've done some magic with the timing port or the new caliper pistons somehow reduce rollback?

And was really hoping they'd put a bleed port on the reservoir cap.

Boozzz

Chimp
Sep 12, 2019
Amsterdayummm
That looks like a 4-finger lever to me. Wtf
Overlaid with Photoshop on the old Tech3 lever, they're about 7 to 8 mm longer. No all that much. Very little hook makes them look longer than they are.

0.5 mm smaller MC with better pivot point placement, lighter lever action with the bearing and hopefully a less stiff return spring, solid build quality, stainless steel slave piston outer, could be interesting.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
stainless steel slave piston outer, could be interesting.
Curious about these hey. Wonder how much the stainless will change things? Retrofittable so i guess next time I do a caliper rebuild I can see. Wondering if the stainless will slip more on the square section seals and reduce roll-back or maybe thats unlikely

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That would seem more of a question of finish than of material...
Yep. Wondering what the claimed benefit of the change is though?

"According to Hope, this "allows for smoother movement and less maintenance, while still being able to manage high temperatures without heat transfer during extreme use."

Just lighter lever feel or something? Probably not too noticeable in the scheme of things.

Also I'm going to assume the new green "Racing" pads are just green Galfer Pros, given Galfer has done pads for Hope in the past.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
loving the Dominion A4 on my "littler" bike with 203mm rotors
loving the TRP DHR Evo on my "bigger" bike with 220mm rotors

my days of brake woes seem to be in the rearview, finally.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Well I have the A4s now. Came with 2 sets of pads, will upgrade to galfers once I burn through these.
My mate with the Dominion A4s is now running some ridiculously cheap AliExpress pads that cost like $10AUD for 4 pairs and reckons they're better than the stock ones. So either Hayes pads aren't great or Ali ones are bloody good.

I still reckon he's mental running dodgy brake pads but he's done quite a few laps now and is converted.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
My mate with the Dominion A4s is now running some ridiculously cheap AliExpress pads that cost like $10AUD for 4 pairs and reckons they're better than the stock ones. So either Hayes pads aren't great or Ali ones are bloody good. I still reckon he's mental running dodgy brake pads but he's done quite a few laps now and is converted.
link? Because the stock pads are good. Gaffer are better if you're picky and like to try new things...but saving money is nice

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Thanks! I'll probably give them a go.

Awesome let us know how they go.

*toodles accepts no responsibility for sudden loss of braking, death, serious injury, heart attack, epilepsy, stroke, schizophrenia, bear attack, biblical plagues, witch curses, Russian invasions, rips in time-space continuum, or other malady that may occur as a result of using Aliexpress brake pads

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
OK, I bit the bullet and have a set of Dominion A4s in hand.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference in pad compounds? The pads pre-installed in the calipers have black painted backings. The extra set in the box are plain brass backing.

The fit and finish on this black version of the calipers and lever seems OK to me. Perhaps they've refined the manufacturing or QC since they launched.

Also, has anyone figured out how to direct mount a dropper trigger?

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
OK, I bit the bullet and have a set of Dominion A4s in hand.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference in pad compounds? The pads pre-installed in the calipers have black painted backings. The extra set in the box are plain brass backing.

The fit and finish on this black version of the calipers and lever seems OK to me. Perhaps they've refined the manufacturing or QC since they launched.

Also, has anyone figured out how to direct mount a dropper trigger?
Pretty sure the brass backed ones are the sintereds from what I've seen - https://hayesbicycle.com/products/dominion-a4-brake-pads?variant=32139534008365

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

This actually is a pretty good video by SRAM, dropping a few tidbits I didn't know.
1) while mineral oil needs less frequent bleeds than DOT, the rubber seals that are compatible with mineral oil are not as reliable when heated, which causes the wandering bite point.
2) brown tinge on rotor means you're getting a good amount of heat. purple or rainbow means it's getting too hot.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
none of my local trails have more than like 300' of vertical. besides, i already got a4s for the DH bike.
So get the same model so you only have to worry about one type of brake pad rather than worrying about the 20g weight difference between the models.