Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've got a 4 pot/203 up front and a 2 pot/180 in the back. i trimmed hoses and never re-bled. 4 pot did feel a little "softer" at first but if i grabbed firmly, always bit. coming off xt's, power has been similar but modulation significantly better. i don't like to run my levers very close to the crabonz bar, lest they touch it and it explode. the rear one has started to feel very mushy lately and i'll probably give them both a proper bleed soon. would also like to get new pads in them top. overall, have been happy so far and would bang again. maybe for extra "punch" i'll bleed 'em with this:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Organics on now, metal in the mail. I'm pretty positive I got all the air out. I may stick some magura levers on. They feel like wet shit. Plenty of stopping power just no sense of the bite point at the lever at all.

I've been running shimano since 2003. Im programmed.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am assuming you didn't look closely at that pic, I would never ride these w/ that adapter hack job. I just did it last night to get them initially setup. Getting a new adapter on there today and riding some downhill on them tomorrow. Will know more then!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
After you have built some of the stuff I have over the years when what I wanted did not exist, I can tell you from experience, that is not overly janky. Having said that, I too have decided that a proper adapter is the only way. I aint 14 and indestructible any more. :busted:

Pics with the proper hunk of aluminum in place please.

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Going to pull the trigger on Cura's for my new build (160mm Endu-bro race bike). Who has tried both the 2 pot and 4 pot? Thinking of running 4 pot up front and 2 pot out back - would that have a weird feel? Currently on Code front Guide back and like the extra power up front.

Cheers

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Going to pull the trigger on Cura's for my new build (160mm Endu-bro race bike). Who has tried both the 2 pot and 4 pot? Thinking of running 4 pot up front and 2 pot out back - would that have a weird feel? Currently on Code front Guide back and like the extra power up front.

Cheers
I have 2s and 4s. Honestly either are excellent brakes for your e'bro bike.

@jstuhlman runs a mixed setup like you describe.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Cheers
that's what i do on the nomad. been great so far. will be switching to sintered pads as the oems wear out. stoked for that.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
RAD - thanks for the feedback. The local distro in Aus was saying the feel between the 2 and 4 is very different and didn't recommend that setup.
it's slightly different-guess it depends on how sensitive you are to such things and how quickly you adapt. i didn't feel like it was a huge difference in feel or power, honestly.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Why not 4 pots front and back? As the weight difference is fuck all and you're perfectly able to modulate with your hands, whenever have we wanted less braking on our MTB's?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Cheers
I own both. The 4 pots feel way more vague than the 2 pots. Whoever told you they're different is right. Plenty of power just no real definitive grab point at the lever with the bigger calipers..

Metal pads help.

Just get two 2pots. With metal pads they're as strong as anything else out there.

I'm not in love with the 4 pots.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I own both. The 4 pots feel way more vague than the 2 pots. Whoever told you they're different is right. Plenty of power just no real definitive grab point at the lever with the bigger calipers..

Metal pads help.

Just get two 2pots. With metal pads they're as strong as anything else out there.

I'm not in love with the 4 pots.
for general trail use, kind of agree...but i've not been able to get em to a proper bike park to see if there's significantly more power/less fade from the 4 yet...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've only ridden the 4 pots at a very very dh/shitty dirt/rocky as fuck/lots of braking bike park. I previously had the 2 pots on the same bike. I only got the bigger ones for heat management. And they do seem to work better on that front. But I'm not even sure I'd call them 'stronger'. They certainly feel like the opposite. But that's just how hydraulic advantage works. It's the same between XTs and Saint/Zees. The difference between the two in a cura flavor is more drastic though.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Got some rides on my new xt 4 pots over the past couple days. Lever seems consistent so far and power seems good, so far I'm happy. Let's see if they hold up on full whistler runs and heli drops next week. :rockout:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
ok yea, I get it now.
I hadn't ridden my hardtail with the 2-pistons in a bit, just the 4s. The 2s are crisp on/off, my 4s are less so. Still awesome, but .... (fuck) a little vague by comparison.
Comments like that make me pause on the idea of replacing wife's Saints and my RO's with Cura 4's...

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Ordered Cura4's with 203/180 rotor from r2-bike - pumped to try them out. Also got some Trickstuff Power pads, should be good as they have Power in the product name.

cozzy

Chimp
Aug 3, 2019
Saint front, xt rear on my bronson with saint levers. I have a spare saint caliper but couldnt be bothered to thread the brake hose through the frame. Works well enough.
My dh bike is full shigura, mt7 calipers with xt levers after the original ones leaked. I do seem to blow through magura hoses though, Ive split 3, both pre & post xt levers. Never split a shimano hose.
The gmbn show recently mentioned shigura & that its possible to blow the hose out the lever due to the more powerful shimano levers. I do hope I never experience this!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My MT7s have been flawless. I’m on my second set of pads in over 6 months of use and probably 80 days with quite a bit of hard braking.

I’ve bled each once when I changed the pads.

Super consistent.

No complaints.

Jun 27, 2017
Any opinions on the longevity of the cura 4 finish? looking at the black version. I'm on a set of the ones atm, the coatings lifting off the caliper something nasty now. New brake time.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Any opinions on the longevity of the cura 4 finish? looking at the black version. I'm on a set of the ones atm, the coatings lifting off the caliper something nasty now. New brake time.
The Ones all did that. Haven't seen issues on any newer Formulas.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
After my recent Whistler trip I'm looking for a little more power and better heat management. Currently running Formula T1 calipers and standard Formula 203 rotors. The rear is a little warped, I presume from heat and not the airline- the bike was fairly well protected on it's journey.

I'm wondering if 220/223mm rotors would tick both boxes. On that note, has anyone got any experience with Galfer? I can get a pair delivered (standard, not floating) for about $130 AUD.

Also, is floating that much better than standard in terms of heat management?

On the other hand, should I just pony up for a newer, betterer and bigglier brake system?

Thanks in advance.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Aren't there several versions of the Formula T1? Not that I have experience with any of them, just to limit the chance of confusion...