Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Aren't there several versions of the Formula T1? Not that I have experience with any of them, just to limit the chance of confusion...
Good point. Mine are the OEM models that came on the Lapierre DH722. As per below:

Lever.jpg

The caption reads: Formula The One S brakes appear to be The One calipers paired with RX lever-bodies and levers. While the adjustment screw is easily accessible and not overly inconvenient for those that ride with tools, I would like a pad or lever adjustment knob.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
After my recent Whistler trip I'm looking for a little more power and better heat management. Currently running Formula T1 calipers and standard Formula 203 rotors. The rear is a little warped, I presume from heat and not the airline- the bike was fairly well protected on it's journey.

I'm wondering if 220/223mm rotors would tick both boxes. On that note, has anyone got any experience with Galfer? I can get a pair delivered (standard, not floating) for about $130 AUD.

Also, is floating that much better than standard in terms of heat management?

On the other hand, should I just pony up for a newer, betterer and bigglier brake system?

Thanks in advance.

Edited for clarity.

Maybe. I had T1S brakes, which are T1 but with one less adjustment and some other minor downgrade. They weren't up to snuff for truly aggressive DH braking. They were fine for bike park stuff and I think they'd make a wonderful trail bike brake (though maybe a little loud). I weighed 206 with 26" wheels when I rode them.

I ended up replacing them with magura MT5s, as I couldn't find good 225mm rotors, and was already running metallic pads. Immediately heat pump went away and power increased, but I still wished for a little more power and grab. I got some race level pads for the MT5s, but I haven't been back on the mountain since I upgraded.

I think if you were a lighter rider or riding bike park stuff you'd be fine, but changing the brakes was a better option for me. If the brakes had black hoses, they'd be on my trail rig, but I don't have the heart to swap hoses then learn how to bleed yet another brake system.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Maybe. I had T1S brakes, which are T1 but with one less adjustment and some other minor downgrade. They weren't up to snuff for truly aggressive DH braking. They were fine for bike park stuff and I think they'd make a wonderful trail bike brake (though maybe a little loud). I weighed 206 with 26" wheels when I rode them.

I ended up replacing them with magura MT5s, as I couldn't find good 225mm rotors, and was already running metallic pads. Immediately heat pump went away and power increased, but I still wished for a little more power and grab. I got some race level pads for the MT5s, but I haven't been back on the mountain since I upgraded.

I think if you were a lighter rider or riding bike park stuff you'd be fine, but changing the brakes was a better option for me. If the brakes had black hoses, they'd be on my trail rig, but I don't have the heart to swap hoses then learn how to bleed yet another brake system.
Interesting. What levers do you run with the MT5s? You can get a full set of them on the German sites for around E200, but that's with the stock evers.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My Curas have developed a strange issue. Pads are rubbing randomly, even if I haven't been on the brakes, they howl like they're wet and I'm DH'ing, when I'm coasting off the brakes. Then it stops after a few seconds.

Hub is tight, not a flex issue.
Inadequate pad roll back?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My Curas have developed a strange issue. Pads are rubbing randomly, even if I haven't been on the brakes, they howl like they're wet and I'm DH'ing, when I'm coasting off the brakes. Then it stops after a few seconds.

Hub is tight, not a flex issue.
Inadequate pad roll back?
Sounds like what I battle with my RO's, Formula's minimal rollback exacerbating the issue.

New Code's are sounding tempting, even though I swore I'd never buy Code's again after the POS first gen versions.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Interesting. What levers do you run with the MT5s? You can get a full set of them on the German sites for around E200, but that's with the stock evers.

I have the stock levers. I don't love them, but the MT5s are nice because you can crank them in enough to get comfortable even with a tight squeeze. The lever profile is a little square compared to the wonderfulness of shimano and others. I initially thought I needed more hydraulic power, but I think the race pads will give me the power I need even with the stock setup. The MT5 and MT7 have a similar hydraulic system, but the MT5s lose bite point adjust and the knob adjuster for reach.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I have the stock levers. I don't love them, but the MT5s are nice because you can crank them in enough to get comfortable even with a tight squeeze. The lever profile is a little square compared to the wonderfulness of shimano and others. I initially thought I needed more hydraulic power, but I think the race pads will give me the power I need even with the stock setup. The MT5 and MT7 have a similar hydraulic system, but the MT5s lose bite point adjust and the knob adjuster for reach.
I got my hands om some new MT5's for cheap, and combined them with a set of BL-M7100 SLX levers. So far they feel pretty good! I expected some rubbing, but nada... flushed all the royal blood out, and replaced with shimano mineral oil.
I do think the stock blue 'comfort' pads aren't that great, but I'll give them a chance... for now.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
whoa...the lever mount is totally different on that, right? I'm not high?

I thought about doing that, but I just don't have the time and energy. My stock pads were the single piece black ones. They may have been performance rather than comfort, but they didn't have the juice for full on DH runs. My current ones are the brass colored "race" format, which adds more metal.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
whoa...the lever mount is totally different on that, right? I'm not high?

I thought about doing that, but I just don't have the time and energy. My stock pads were the single piece black ones. They may have been performance rather than comfort, but they didn't have the juice for full on DH runs. My current ones are the brass colored "race" format, which adds more metal.
Shimano says its stiffer, and prevents wandering bite point. The levers blades are now flatter/wider too, which is nice. So far no problems.

The original MT5 levers were just too long, putting the clamp in the same spot as my shifter/dropper clamp when I have it set for 1-finger braking. They must have thought that the longer lever generates more power, and that the flexing of the carbotexture is a "modulation feature"... meh!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Same here, I ditched the Magura levers for Shimano's ergonomy. After around 2 seasons, the stroke is now much longer, most probably because the servo-wave mechanism has worn out as Udi mentioned earlier.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Anyone else experiencing the random Cura rubbing / noise?

Any known tweaks to increase pad roll back, or increase static spacing off of the rotor?

Moar shimz?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Anyone else experiencing the random Cura rubbing / noise?

Any known tweaks to increase pad roll back, or increase static spacing off of the rotor?

Moar shimz?
Might be worth cleaning pistons, lubing and cycling them a few times. Helped me with DOT ROs before the caliper seals got totally fucked
I think castrol red rubber grease is what was recommended for mineral oil brakes. Hopefully yours is just grit n shit dirtying up the pistons and not wrecked seals or anything. maybe check some other stuff like the pad spring and retaining bolt.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Has it been said before that MT5's are great brakes and a great value? Run em with some Kool Stop sintered metal pads.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Anyone get any time on trickstuff power pads in the wet?
Yes. No problems, same like in dry conditions.

And also super tight fitting of the R0Rs, even on the straightest of straight rotors. Bought the Formula 2 piece ones coz the Shimano IceTechs drove me nuts with their wallowing after one brake intensive ride. Helped a bit.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Yes. No problems, same like in dry conditions.

And also super tight fitting of the R0Rs, even on the straightest of straight rotors. Bought the Formula 2 piece ones coz the Shimano IceTechs drove me nuts with their wallowing after one brake intensive ride. Helped a bit.
Balls, I just switched to ice techs. overpaid for them a bit too coz morzine lol. no issues with rub bar the usual bit i get with fresh pads so far so fingers crossed.
Cheers for the feedback on the pads. They sound sweet

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Kinda glad I did not go with Cura4 but with Hayes Dominion instead.
So far I'm liking them.
Great modulation, very light feel, no rubbing, and huge power when you need it.
They were also easy to bleed.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I swiftly checked my buddy's Dominion the other day, what stood out for me was the lengthy lever stroke before hitting the bit point. It doesn't need to be bad, it's just the opposite of the Cura2.

Edit: the dead stroke is apparently adjustable

Last edited:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I swiftly checked my buddy's Dominion the other day, what stood out for me was the lengthy lever stroke before hitting the bit point. It doesn't need to be bad, it's just the opposite of the Cura2.
What's the power like? Would it be suitable for DH?

Just read Mykel's impression, sounds promising.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
What's the power like? Would it be suitable for DH?

Just read Mykel's impression, sounds promising.
The Hopes T3V4 are on a 27.5 / 26 mullet.
The Hayes A4's are on a 29r.
Both with 203/180 rotors.
They both have a similar feel at the lever,(They are closer in feel to each other than to the Avid X0 Trails - my only other 4 piston brakes)
The Hayes are stronger.

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Hey CURA4 owners, I stuffed up and bought a PM6" to 203mm adapter. I have Fox 36 which are 180mm post so I need a PM180 to 203mm adapter. Does anyone know if SRAM and Shimano adapters work with the CURA4's?

Shipping is super expensive for the Formulas so if one of these works that would be great.

Cheers,

Attachments

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Shimano won't work on post mount either, same issue, indent too shallow.

Not sure where you're located but universal cycles has them in stock in the States.

Screenshot_20190819-202549_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
dunno...i got a formula one...but why not try it now when it arrives, and then shim it now if needed?
I've got it now. As it's for 160mm to 203mm the spacing is 20mm too big...

Worst case to get me running I will turn up some individual spacers on the lathe until I can get a 1-piece adapter that works with them....

Thanks others for the Shimano feedback.

Anyone tried the SRAM adapter?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
About the Dominions, the dead stroke is apparently adjustable. The article I read said that it is set at the factory.
Is it possible for home mechanics to adjust it?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I’m really liking the Hayes Dominion as well
Hey Ben, how do they compare to R0Rs powerwise? I think you also had those if I'm not mistaken. Are the levers adjustable to get the bite point close to the bars?

I'm in the process of getting a DH bike again and am really happy with the R0Rs on the trail bike but for the big bike I'd like to have a bit more power, so it's either gonna be 220 rotors or Saint brakes (with all their flaws).