Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
RaceFace would do an excellent job of making it cheaper/faster just like they did with the 9point8 Fall Line dropper....oh wait never mind.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Well, now that my nascent attempt to get some seed investment for my Triq-Stuph brakes is dead in the water, I've gone back to the other option... Frankenbraking. Put a set of L04Cs on my Formulas; they fit well and they're bedding in pretty nicely so far.

L04C Formula.jpg

On to the next problem... of course. I've put a 203mm on the back to try match the eyeball popping power of Saints (my old brakes). The adapter pictured actually flexes noticeably under hard braking. It also makes an intermittent whine. Looking at it, I'm not surprised since the damn thing is cantilevered out so far from the frame mounts. I'm kind of curious to solve this from an intellectual perspective if nothing else- I may go back to a 180mm on the rear if I can get enough power.

Has anyone ever used a more burly adapter to remedy this problem? Would steel be a better option- if one even exists?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Well, now that my nascent attempt to get some seed investment for my Triq-Stuph brakes is dead in the water, I've gone back to the other option... Frankenbraking. Put a set of L04Cs on my Formulas; they fit well and they're bedding in pretty nicely so far.

View attachment 141877

On to the next problem... of course. I've put a 203mm on the back to try match the eyeball popping power of Saints (my old brakes). The adapter pictured actually flexes noticeably under hard braking. It also makes an intermittent whine. Looking at it, I'm not surprised since the damn thing is cantilevered out so far from the frame mounts. I'm kind of curious to solve this from an intellectual perspective if nothing else- I may go back to a 180mm on the rear if I can get enough power.

Has anyone ever used a more burly adapter to remedy this problem? Would steel be a better option- if one even exists?
The caliper likely flexes more than the adapter.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
oops posted my new bike in the wrong thread lol.

@Kurt_80 it might be worth trying Formula or Avid Adapters, they are thicker than shimano. Also I found stronger bolts tightened up super hard also helped with flex, but i'm paranoid because I wrote off a dropout when they came a bit loose and adapter moving cracked it.

1584192714252.png

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Caliper might be flexing too, but adaptor was definitely moving relative to the frame.
In a blase of redneck glory I would tape up and fill in the volume between the adaptor an caliper with bedliner. Wouldn't be much stiffer but would probably dampen the vibration significantly.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Kurt, a buddy of mine has snapped 2 of the 180mm version of that Shimano brake mount on his Bronson with the latest XTR 4-pot brakes. Both times, the horizontal piece snaps, which in turn puts force on the caliper, which then snaps the forward brake bolt. He's bigger, but not a total clyde (~190 lbs). The second time it happened while he was just track standing in his driveway. I'd start by switching to a different bracket.

I would like to praise Magura customer service, again. Last year I bought a set of used MT7s on Pinkbike. Over the winter, the front caliper developed a sticky piston. I cleaned & lubed it about 5-6 times. Each time it'd get fixed for a few rides then return. I was going to buy a whole new caliper, but they want like $190 for it, so I called them up. I was straight up with the guy on the phone that I bought them used, and was looking to buy a new caliper but they were damn near as expensive as a complete set, and asked if he could help out at all. He sent me a brand new caliper and a bleed kit free of charge. This is the second time they've gone above and beyond for me (previously sent me a complete new MT Trail Sport rear after I snapped the MC body in a crash, also free of charge).

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Kurt, a buddy of mine has snapped 2 of the 180mm version of that Shimano brake mount on his Bronson with the latest XTR 4-pot brakes. Both times, the horizontal piece snaps, which in turn puts force on the caliper, which then snaps the forward brake bolt. He's bigger, but not a total clyde (~190 lbs). The second time it happened while he was just track standing in his driveway. I'd start by switching to a different bracket.

I would like to praise Magura customer service, again. Last year I bought a set of used MT7s on Pinkbike. Over the winter, the front caliper developed a sticky piston. I cleaned & lubed it about 5-6 times. Each time it'd get fixed for a few rides then return. I was going to buy a whole new caliper, but they want like $190 for it, so I called them up. I was straight up with the guy on the phone that I bought them used, and was looking to buy a new caliper but they were damn near as expensive as a complete set, and asked if he could help out at all. He sent me a brand new caliper and a bleed kit free of charge. This is the second time they've gone above and beyond for me (previously sent me a complete new MT Trail Sport rear after I snapped the MC body in a crash, also free of charge).
That sounds promising. Where are you based?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
How would you like some electronic brake by wire Shimano brakes?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Fuck, no.
At least the master cylinders won't wear out the way they do now. You'll just have to see how fast they die from dust ingress instead. Hopefully they only offer them for ebikes and power them from the bike battery so people don't die from their brake battery dying mid ride.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Interesting journey the one you traveled with your Formulas @Udi . And by the way, what do you call "overpriced" for a caliper rebuild kit?
Just an update, after this conversation I had another look on ebay and a UK shop had a piston/seal kit for US$35 posted, most reasonable I'd seen so I ordered them.

Interested to see if it fixes it, the front one still works well, but the throw has grown long on the rear (saw a full season of DH use in 2016 before retiring to trailbike) so I suspect the seals have hardened + causing excessive rollback. Will be good to test my theory.

For reference it's a Formula ROR lever on Hayes Prime Pro caliper, benefit was a bit more power and pad size over the stock Formula, but also the Formula lever keeps them light (221g for front from memory) so most replacement brakes would have been a big weight jump.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I forget from this thread did we ever determine if mt-5 levers with the 1 finger lever upgrade or shimano levers were better and longer lasting? I see people complaining about breaking the magura master cylinders in crashes, but I know shimanos wear out.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Anyone buy cura 4s recently? got a set myself and wondering if the come with the quick disconnect hose. Listing on Bike24 said ' Speed Lock: Standard / Caliper side only ' and nsmb review says it doesn't come with it.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I’m too lazy to dig through the last 43 pages... tRiCk StUfF aside what is the best stock 4 piston brake right now? I am not a fan of shimano or sram and have had a mixed bag with Magura (MT7) need some brakes for my new trail bike and badly seek the approval from the ridemonkey syndicate...

I’m willing to speriment with some bastardizations (ie shigura) but need some feedback. So far the contenders for stock brakes seem to be Formula Cura 4, Hope(?), MT7s (maybe I just got a bad set or dont know how to bleed them properly) or even (gasp) Hayes!?. If no suitable alternative exists some bastardized version... halp.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Anyone buy cura 4s recently? got a set myself and wondering if the come with the quick disconnect hose. Listing on Bike24 said ' Speed Lock: Standard / Caliper side only ' and nsmb review says it doesn't come with it.
I bought last year and no quick connect....