Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
@HAB
Gotten the DHR EVO brakes up to about 10k of vert so far. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

They feel nice so far with a few caveats:
-took quite a while to full bed in. Literally 5k.
-the lever is long, so a bit of throw
-lever adjusted all the way in is more “medium” at bite point. Not for levers right at the bar riders.

But aside from that, they feel great thus far. Excited to report back at the end of the season and in about 200k of descending.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
@HAB
Gotten the DHR EVO brakes up to about 10k of vert so far. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

They feel nice so far with a few caveats:
-took quite a while to full bed in. Literally 5k.
-the lever is long, so a bit of throw
-lever adjusted all the way in is more “medium” at bite point. Not for levers right at the bar riders.

But aside from that, they feel great thus far. Excited to report back at the end of the season and in about 200k of descending.
Thanks. If I remember right, they come with organic pads? I assume you're using the stock ones to start? It's nice that they at least use the non-finned Saint/Zee pads so good metallics are relatively easily available.

How firm does the bite point feel once you get there?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
@HAB
Yes, they have a new “blue” organic compound. I would put it inline with a shimano organic pad. Better than the old compound from what I understand. For around here, they are solid to use so far, and I will then swap to my favorite pads (EBC Red) next time. Glad for the non-finned Saint compatibility. I would put initial bite (sharpness) in line with that of the Code RSC I have ridden.

I am not missing my Shiguras so far.

Last edited:

Lemke

Chimp
Aug 22, 2019
I have "Shiguras" on 2 of my bikes now. My enduro rig has Zee levers, MT5 calipers, Sram speedline rotors, TruckerCo pads (don't judge, it was all I could find at the time)... no issues at all. Great power and modulation. My trail bike has SLX levers, an MT5 in the front with a 203 speedline rotor, and no issues. The rear has an MT4 caliper on a 180 rotor, and I can't seem to dial out the "soft" throw on it. I've tried shimming the pads, a Magura rotor, and nothing seems to really work. Anyone else have issue with a Shigura setup using 2 pots?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Just learned something : Shimano has apparently changed the curve of their servo-wave so that there is less progression on their latest release (BL-m9120, 8120 and 7120)

This would explain why I didn't feel any difference in throw between my supposedly worn out mt500 levers and my bl-m7100 levers when switching levers on my shiguras...?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just learned something : Shimano has apparently changed the curve of their servo-wave so that there is less progression on their latest release (BL-m9120, 8120 and 7120)

This would explain why I didn't feel any difference in throw between my supposedly worn out mt500 levers and my bl-m7100 levers when switching levers on my shiguras...?
I have 000-series levers. It's a serious detriment to me learning wheelies on this bike, just way too grabby...and now I put an 8" rotor on the back too. I have the non-servo 9000s on my XTRs and those are much nicer for initial feel, but obviously not power.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I have 000-series levers. It's a serious detriment to me learning wheelies on this bike, just way too grabby...and now I put an 8" rotor on the back too. I have the non-servo 9000s on my XTRs and those are much nicer for initial feel, but obviously not power.
Tip for wheelies, pull your lever till the pads are just barley dragging..... the slightest.. you'll hear them but not feel them
Keep your finger here, much easier to keep from over reacting instead of pulling through the emptiness of the servowave taking up the big pad rollback.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So has anyone been able to source Trickstuff Power Pads in the US or get them relatively quickly from a Euro resource??

Or conversely are there any other aftermarket pads worth a damn to be used in a Shimano system? A couple decades ago I remember EBC reds were a great replacement on Hayes systems, albeit with some really fast wear.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I got several sets from one of Ze Germans pre-Covid. I've gone through 2 sets so far. They do bite a bit harder than Magura 8.P. For Maguras, the Trickstuff pads are a pain in the ass to install since they're joined. Also, because the body is painted red, the normal Magura retaining bolts don't work (too much friction), so you have to use the janky (included) cotter pins. They were fucking cheap though, about $15/set.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I got several sets from one of Ze Germans pre-Covid. I've gone through 2 sets so far. They do bite a bit harder than Magura 8.P. For Maguras, the Trickstuff pads are a pain in the ass to install since they're joined. Also, because the body is painted red, the normal Magura retaining bolts don't work (too much friction), so you have to use the janky (included) cotter pins. They were fucking cheap though, about $15/set.
Drill

Aug 7, 2020
yeah but it only matter with the lever can it take anothe r 2 large pistons? so 1 lever to 2-4 pot brakes dual brakes would it modulate to much? it takes 6 pot ok so what about ANOTHER 2?????

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Add me to the Hayes fanclub for now. Dominions A2s working pretty nice on the dh bike. Good power, more than curas and the pads are bigger. Lever feel is great and they bled up easily with no tapping or repetition.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Suggestion request to improve Magura ergonomics. Got the Magura Estops (MT5 variant) for cheap. The brake performance is good, however I'm pretty finicky about brake lever setup and am struggling with these. Huge difference in finger position and actually causing fatigue I'd never had with Shimano. Need to try pushing the levers inboard another inch or so, but wondering about the consensus on some of Maguras other levers? Anyone opinions?

....and no, at this time I have zero interest in doing Shiguras since all of my Shimano levers crap out after one year of use due to cylinder bore wear. I honestly struggle to understand how anyone gets more than a year out of their Shimano brakes. Perhaps I just get all the lemons....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've only got a single DH run on my MT7's this year so I can't comment on that blade :(

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I have the MT Sport Trail so I have different lever blades but after getting used to them I now prefer them over the Shimano. I do and have always run my levers way inboard of the grips to where the end of the lever just comes over the grip. The Magura's did reguire me to change the shifter and dropper lever mounting locations to get everything to play nice together. I also have them engaging very close to the grip.

I am so far very happy with the change.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Just mounted the levers inboard a good bit further so that the grip collar and inner edge of the brake clamp is about 1.75" apart. Seems better, but hard to judge until doing a proper ride.

These are the '2 finger' levers and mounting them far inboard makes it more of a one finger lever. The length increases leverage but also throw so we'll see if it works ok.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Magura levers have terrible geometry, hardly a recent revelation.
Plasticky build quality also. They're bearable if you have larger hands.

I have zero interest in doing Shiguras since all of my Shimano levers crap out after one year of use due to cylinder bore wear. I honestly struggle to understand how anyone gets more than a year out of their Shimano brakes.
By riding uphill most of the time.

Under DH / park use it's normal to replace lever bodies once a year / season on Shimano to keep the brakes somewhat consistent and functional. It's not just you, the various issues have been documented in this very thread by many others.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Magura levers have terrible geometry, hardly a recent revelation.
Plasticky build quality also. They're bearable if you have larger hands.

By riding uphill most of the time.

Under DH / park use it's normal to replace lever bodies once a year / season on Shimano to keep the brakes somewhat consistent and functional. It's not just you, the various issues have been documented in this very thread by many others.
The shimano lever comment was more rhetoric than anything else. I supposed I'd be more frustrated if the situation was unique to me, but I take solace in knowing that for the random Shigura endorsement here and the countless ones that pop up on Pinkbike, there are countless others rolling their eyes.

I've got larger hands so I'm hoping the inboard move helps, otherwise I'm aware that Magura has been chasing their tails and have released a bevy of different levers, an indictment of the sub optimal ergonomics. Wondering if anyone has had better success with any of these options.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
HC3 levers are awesome, if you can stomach the price. They're less absurd if you get them from Yurp. My only gripe with the HC3s is that the finish on the front is glossy, so it's important for my gloves to have silicon finger tips. Or, I guess I could try and find some grip tape, or drill some SPEED HOLES.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
It's funny, of all of the brakes I've tried, the Magura lever ergonomics are by far my favorite. Would definitely prefer a less plastic-y build quality though.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
For anyone running Maguras that has experience with the race pads - what's pad lifespan like in relation to the performance pads?
I personally use EBC red pads - Super short lifetime, but braking is ideal for Utah conditions - so I actually have 2 pair of new/as new race pad setups if you want to give 'em a go.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey you crazy kids, does anybody know if i can use a shimano hose on a magura brake caliper? I'm thinking about switching over my brakes around but the factory hose on my MT5s is too short for my trail bike. It already has XTs (with a saint brake line). Both calipers are banjo fittings.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hey you crazy kids, does anybody know if i can use a shimano hose on a magura brake caliper? I'm thinking about switching over my brakes around but the factory hose on my MT5s is too short for my trail bike. It already has XTs (with a saint brake line). Both calipers are banjo fittings.
Have you considered using electrical tape to adapt between the two?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Have you considered using electrical tape to adapt between the two?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Yeah, but I didn't make the spacer out of electrical tape.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The banjos are different. Your only option is a new $50+ Magura hose.
Edit: based on my MT6/8/MTS experience.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Quick question for the Cura 2 owners: what rotors are you running? A friend bought a set and has Shimano centerlock hubs, so he was considering running them with the two-piece, 180mm XT rotors. Since the brakes haven't arrived yet, he asked me if the calipers would contact the rotor's alloy carrier.

He previously had the Formula The One brakes and he had issues with other Shimano Centerlock rotors, hence the question.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Discovered a frankenbrake by none other than Cornelius Von Kaplfinger himself. He’s running a TrickStuff lever married to a Magura caliper. A bit of a head scratcher really because; I was under the impression that ZOMG TRICKSTUFF IS THE GREATEST BRAKE EVERRR!1!!11!!!! And also so far as I understood he owned both Intend and TrickStuff. Which makes him running a frankenbrake a bit more surprising IMO.

I guess either (a) I’m armchair reading into this way too much (b) he’s running an experiment to see where other mfrs are at (in which case why show it in such a public way) or (c) even the owner of the company couldn’t source a set of the brakes his own company makes for himself. Discuss...
F376D06B-2D35-4331-B15A-699D58DB6D0D.jpeg
DB67D7FA-FB12-4B76-B0BE-A83CCC4BB258.jpeg