Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

At around the 07:00 minute mark, I think it's Joe Breeden [sp?] on the NS Fuzz discussing his preference for Direttissima lever with Maxima caliper over Maxima-Maxima... interesting to note that the Direttissima has more initial bite and the Maxima more modulation. He says it's down to the leverage ratio of the caliper.
@Udi mentioned something about that when the Maxima came out. I don’t remember the specifics though.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Without having watched the video and consulting the master sheet I think it's because of the fact that the Maxxima-Maxxima combo has an even higher hydraulic leverage than the DRT and therefore softer feel at the lever. That's why they sell it only with Goodrige lines.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Looks like two calipers under a shroud, plus a brake power meter.

My bet is that it's a test rig to experiment with pad compounds or caliper designs or something, not actually a plan to Xzibit up our brakes.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'll stray from the modding and lead time conversation for a quick review of these TRP DHR Evos.

I have 5 rides on these now & I'm a huge fan so far. All rides about 1200-1500' fast, sustained descents.
I'm running them with stock brake pads and 180 rotors on my trail bike. Lines were easy to trim to size, and super easy to bleed. Bleed fitting is larger than anything I had on hand for shimano or formula. If you buy them grab a bleed kit.

Simple and clean 4 piston caliper design and a nice lever. Rotors are 2.3mm thick and nothing revolutionary.
20210704_133614.jpg

20210704_135442.jpg

Lever "feel" is excellent. Split perch clamps have zero flex.
I like to run my levers close to the bars, pictures show the adjustment all the way in where I like them, there's about 10mm throw between open and engaged. If you like the hooks of your levers closer than 45 mm these may not work for you.
20210704_133639.jpg

20210704_133659.jpg

There's enough adjustment to crank them out a full inch I'd bet for riders with larger hands. Tool free adjusters too. The short throw is nice, and modulation is excellent. These stock pads are interesting too. They are advertised as resin pads but they feel like a metal pad. I'm not really a break dragger but I sensed no fade on the few rides I've had.

I'd rate power = the 820 saints they replace with moar better modulation. I also have a pair on my downhill bike with 8" rotors.

All old brakes are for sale. If these don't suffer from random bite point or some other long term issues these are absolute winners.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Interesting. I've had good results with reliability on the Slate, and really like the lever feel, but they're nowhere close to DH worthy power. Very solid trail bike brake (especially considering the price) but not more than that.

And re: those organic pads "feeling like metal" get them wet and get back to me. ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Interesting. I've had good results with reliability on the Slate, and really like the lever feel, but they're nowhere close to DH worthy power. Very solid trail bike brake (especially considering the price) but not more than that.

And re: those organic pads "feeling like metal" get them wet and get back to me. ;)
Their trail/xc brake isn't as powerful as a DH brake? Disappointing.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
yo @Nick how are they compared to your curas?
power- both tons
lever- I prefer TRP
modulation- too early to tell, the Curas are great as are these Evos
setup- TRP, my Cura are a pain to bleed
general- if for nothing more than the setup I'd take TRP. much easier to get dialed, no rubbing (although I had better results with my Curas and icetech rotors, slightly thinner?)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
power- both tons
lever- I prefer TRP
modulation- too early to tell, the Curas are great as are these Evos
setup- TRP, my Cura are a pain to bleed
general- if for nothing more than the setup I'd take TRP. much easier to get dialed, no rubbing (although I had better results with my Curas and icetech rotors, slightly thinner?)
How do Curas and these TRPs compare to the lever feel of Shimano?

One reason I like my shimano brakes (when they work, aren't leaking or making me shit my pants), is that the levers feel solid. Hard to explain, but I like how it feels almost as if the levers/pads slam into the rotor and give some feedback. Compared to the Codes on my girlfriend's bike, which have felt spongy since new.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
My Cura2s have a very solid lever bite feel. More "direct" feeling than Shimano because Formula doesn't have Servowave.

I also prefer the "slam" effect to sponge aka "modulation."

How do Curas and these TRPs compare to the lever feel of Shimano?

One reason I like my shimano brakes (when they work, aren't leaking or making me shit my pants), is that the levers feel solid. Hard to explain, but I like how it feels almost as if the levers/pads slam into the rotor and give some feedback. Compared to the Codes on my girlfriend's bike, which have felt spongy since new.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Definitely try the DHR evo. Super good brakes. The slate and g-spec trail are both solid, but a bit under-gunned power wise. The DHR is not.
Been trying to get my hands on a set for a while now, just haven't made it happen yet.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
OK, Shimano brake question. I noticed a week or two ago that there was a tiny bit of mineral oil weeping out of the end of the rubber reservoir when I applied the brake lever. I assumed it was pooched, as those aren’t repairable, so I ordered a new right brake. Just for fun while waiting for the new brake to arrive, I bled it, and took it down a blistering, rocky trail. It seemed to work perfectly…and this baffles me, as it is losing a teeny bit of oil (seemingly) with every lever pull.
Any observations?
I am still going to replace it, but just curious. The last time I over pressurized the reservoir and it weeped oil, it was toast.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I think it was due to this thread, but I went and purchased some metallic pads from Trucker Co. for my MT5's.

Utter absolute garbage brake pads. Had them installed for a single ride and did my first DH race practice in years today. They glazed instantly. Thankfully I was able to get some Magura race pads at the resort.

I'm aware that glazing is a risk with Metallic pads, but I've never had a pad fail pretty much instantly like these did.

Anyway, thought it wise to share my experience.

Boozzz

Chimp
Sep 12, 2019
Amsterdayummm
So, a while back I posted about black fluid in the Magura MT5 levers. Have been flushing the system every 5-6 months since then, and every time the fluid in and near the lever is black. They're on my trials bike, so they do see a very high amount of action, way more than with regular MTBing. But still, excessive lever piston wear or what? Any solid brakes out there that have anodized lever pistons that don't wear that much?

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I have done a lot of service to magura brakes and I have seen discolored royal blood, but it was still blue dark maybe but I wouldn’t call it black like old grey metallic Shimano fluid. It could be an indicator of another problem.

Boozzz

Chimp
Sep 12, 2019
Amsterdayummm
Pro-tip: if you mix Royal blood with Shimano fluid, you get color that matches anodized purple parts so well.
Dayummm, my trials bike has purple parts all over! Tip of the week! Now I especially need a lever that doesn't turn it black :D

I have done a lot of service to magura brakes and I have seen discolored royal blood, but it was still blue dark maybe but I wouldn’t call it black like old grey metallic Shimano fluid. It could be an indicator of another problem.
Mine is definitely dirty grey black like old Shimano fluid. Only near the lever, so it can only be from master cylinder wear. How are the Cura levers, are their master cylinders anodized?
Or maybe time for Trickstuff levers after all, though I would hate to crash on those and scrape them on concrete!

Last edited: