Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Hey All,was watching Pit Tech video and in the the comment section a lot of people wanted a 3D printed Brake Handle Clamp to the Bar for constant tension on the Caliper of a TRP Brake. I think that is what it is for,but know not why? Question:

Can not a Zip Tie/Rubber Band or even a small Clamp be just as good?

It looks Tits for sure,just wondering?

Avy
My guess was it prevents the levers from being accidentally depressed when the wheels are off (so the pads don't advance). But maybe there's something funny with bleeding them and you need those to have the same feel?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
My guess was it prevents the levers from being accidentally depressed when the wheels are off (so the pads don't advance). But maybe there's something funny with bleeding them and you need those to have the same feel?
In case of confusion,I meant the viewer’s who could use something else instead of the custom 3D print’ed clamp.

Yeah, I thought the same thing,wondering why a Biscuit would not be good enough? There has tobe a reason.

Avy

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Time for a new brake set, trying to decide between another set of Magura MT-5s or try something new: Hayes Dominions or TRP DH-R EVOs. Anyone have comparison info? Main criteria are power/resistance to brake fade and ease of bleeding (ie, ez to get a good bleed in one try).

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Get the Dominions. I've tried the lot and would go the Hayes in a heart beat. The new T4s if you're after a nicer finish and lighter weight, or save the coin and grab the A4s

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Blister has reviews of both. When I talked to David there about them, he said the TRPs have crazy power and nice compatibility with Shimano pads, but the lever doesn't adjust very far in. Basically suggested if you don't wear an XL glove you might have a hard time getting them close enough to the bar.

I just got the Hayes and haven't had a chance to ride them (got food poisoning) but the bleed was really straightforward. Their instructions are very detailed with good little tricks. Messier than SRAM but everything is. Both levers feel identical after the first bleed, which is not something I was ever able to achieve on MT7s or Codes (those always required over filling the rear and/or faffing with bite adjust). The crosshair alignment system is pure genius and works flawlessly. Rollback seems pretty generous even on 2.0mm rotors. The lever feel is incredibly light - I'd describe it as about as light action as you could get short of a hypothetical AXS-style brake.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
the TRPs have crazy power and nice compatibility with Shimano pads, but the lever doesn't adjust very far in. Basically suggested if you don't wear an XL glove you might have a hard time getting them close enough to the bar.
I agree, but I have big hands. The brakes are killer, but the levers would be an issue for small hands.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I do wear an XL (or XXL in some brands) glove and the TRPs still don't go far enough in for me. It's baffling, you'd need ET length fingers to use the longer end of the adjustment range.

Their power is good, but the Dominions have a little bit of an edge there. The DH-R Evo's lever feel is more linear and not as crazy light in the early part of the stroke as the Dominions, with a less clearly pronounced bite point. That one's probably personal preference but I like the Hayes better on that front too. Both are relatively straightforward to bleed.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I do wear an XL (or XXL in some brands) glove and the TRPs still don't go far enough in for me. It's baffling, you'd need ET length fingers to use the longer end of the adjustment range.

Their power is good, but the Dominions have a little bit of an edge there. The DH-R Evo's lever feel is more linear and not as crazy light in the early part of the stroke as the Dominions, with a less clearly pronounced bite point. That one's probably personal preference but I like the Hayes better on that front too. Both are relatively straightforward to bleed.
Im in XL or xxl and run the reach all the way in, or a click or three from there. Its perfect for me, but If TRP could have the same throw and feel, but 5-10mm additional adjustment in.....

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Only hesitation on the Hayes has been some reviews stating having a hard time getting a good bleed, despite the extra ports. Sounds like that hasn't been a problem here?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Only hesitation on the Hayes has been some reviews stating having a hard time getting a good bleed, despite the extra ports. Sounds like that hasn't been a problem here?
Definately not hard at all. They might be the easiest brakes to bleed due to the extra bleed port on the caliper. I wouldn’t hesitate here. Just get some extra olives and barbs since they are slightly bigger than others.

They respond really well to a slight overbleed like when you pump the brakes once or twice with the caliper off while bleeding.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Plus trp you get a chance to chat with jumping Jerry Vanderpool...lol

My brakes turned out to be total monsters at summit...upgrades were spot on ..LOVE EM...

I will be giving a set of TRP DH when back in stock...Jerry is pretty straight forward been friends with him for a a couple minutes ..he's always been a straight shooter about everything....so it's easy to take his word about bike stuff too...

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
The question would be if there's enough material in the caliper tabs to tap and thread without compromising their structure.
For sure. I don't think I will use set screws because I want to go smaller than M3 but don't want u use smaller than a 1.5mm Allen key. So it'll look kludgy with socket heads but should be fine.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
For sure. I don't think I will use set screws because I want to go smaller than M3 but don't want u use smaller than a 1.5mm Allen key. So it'll look kludgy with socket heads but should be fine.
I really don't think the end result is worth the risk hey

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Holy crap, the Dominions have a lot of power. Like, one ride and I'm considering dropping to a 180 in the rear.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've Code RSC's on a couple of bikes and no real issues with them. I didn't think much of the MT7's I had briefly on a prior DH bike before I sold it. But interesting to hear you state they're that much more powerful.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, the Dominions are definitely a big step up from Code RSCs power-wise. MT7s are somewhere in the middle. (I've used the HC3 levers on those).

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Interesting. I've found the MT5s to have a ton of power. However, I'm also using the stock 2 finger levers which have more leverage. When I tried swapping to the HC levers there was a noticeable drop-off.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
In preparation to drill and tap calipers I decided to really get out all the runout from my wife's rotors and get the actual caliper bodies perfectly centered.
0F17147C-488C-4B2A-9829-F3FB0696CBF3.jpeg
66A1974B-FA4D-4988-B30D-0224366B6C07.jpeg

The lever throw on these guides is silly now like shimano normally is. Getting all 4 pistons to extend equally was a little fiddly.

UnusualBread

Chimp
Nov 2, 2020
Just had my first ride on Hope Tech 4 V4 and am also wondering if they have too much power o_O. They feel great otherwise and I'll probably get used to the power. I came off of mt5 with2 finger lever and MTX red pads. 200mm rotors. Tech 4s are a significant step up in power for sure.

Lever feel is equally as light to magura, less lever throw, magura with a slightly more defined bite point, you can run levers really close to the bar on the hopes.

They come with 3 different pad compounds which I thought was nice. They come fitted with galfer green (strongest brake power) but also include their red (all around) and purple (ebike). I am going to give green/red up front and green/purple out back after first ride to try and slightly lower power lol.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Getting all 4 pistons to extend equally was a little fiddly.
that 3D printed doohicky that someone posted the other day that released 1 out of the 4 pistons would be very useful. I normally end up using two tyre levers to block 3 of the 4...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
that 3D printed doohicky that someone posted the other day that released 1 out of the 4 pistons would be very useful. I normally end up using two tyre levers to block 3 of the 4...

For those interested in such tools without a 3-D printer, they are easily made with a piece of hardwood and a saw.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
It would be good for exercising them before alignment but I had to get all the pistons to advance evenly after putting the caliper on. Probably going to be less of an issue with brakes other than guides.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For those interested in such tools without a 3-D printer, they are easily made with a piece of hardwood and a saw.
SMRT.

I'm normally doing it to either ensure even advancement or I'm wanting to advance a single one to clean the pistons with a piece of string soaked in IPA.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
They come with 3 different pad compounds which I thought was nice. They come fitted with galfer green (strongest brake power) but also include their red (all around) and purple (ebike). I am going to give green/red up front and green/purple out back after first ride to try and slightly lower power lol.
The old Tech 3 V4s used to come with both sintered and organic pads in the box which was a nice touch. Interestingly, in Bikes & Big Ideas podcast discussing the Tech4 redesign, the Hope engineer said the green ones aren't Galfer manufactured, but the other ones are? They do look bloody similar to the green Galfer pro pads though. I might try to find a set of the Hope offerings and compare them to the Galfer greens which are my current favourite pads.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The old Tech 3 V4s used to come with both sintered and organic pads in the box which was a nice touch. Interestingly, in Bikes & Big Ideas podcast discussing the Tech4 redesign, the Hope engineer said the green ones aren't Galfer manufactured, but the other ones are? They do look bloody similar to the green Galfer pro pads though. I might try to find a set of the Hope offerings and compare them to the Galfer greens which are my current favourite pads.
My V4s came with 3, sintered, organic and ebike.
Gunna try a tech 4 front lever.