Quantcast

%***% Fray dray %***%

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hi folks, need some monkei advice today.

got the job offer I was hoping for. Unfortunately, it's kind of shitty. A 5% salary increase, a decent annual bonus increase, better 401k match plus some other things, but it represents a lateral move rather than vertical and I'm not sure I want to change jobs after less than two years to stay in the same role, regardless of the toxicity and poor health of my current spot.

It sounds like, per the HR rep that I spoke with, that this salary was a stretch to get and they probably won't be able to go higher. Think it's reasonable to ask for the next title up, and leave salary where it is? That would be 100% worth making the switch even at the current salary and benefits...would love your ideas and suggestions...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Changing job should never be just about money. How about vacation time? Paid days off? Work week? Commute? Flexible schedule? I once took a pay cut to avoid congestion in Mtl and be 40 minutes closer to home.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's not just about money, for sure. I'm just not sure it's worth moving for a small pay bump and the question of moving into a worse work life balance. Right now, things are pretty nice in those terms...it's just definitely not the environment I want to stay in. Commute is about the same, maybe worse maybe better as it's about 2mi from where I go to now. Lunch options will be better!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hannah was up at 5am, hence I was up at 5am. Working until I can drop her off at daycare, then I will proceed to work after I drop her off again. Meeting with director of the daycare center this afternoon. We just found out that she doesn't talk at all at school, but talks a bunch at home. Wifey is getting concerned that Hannah that she doesn't, especially because her enunciation isn't getting better because she's not talking at all at school. Apparently she's showing signs of selective mutism and she has strong genetic predisposition from Wifey's side, which doesn't help.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's not just about money, for sure. I'm just not sure it's worth moving for a small pay bump and the question of moving into a worse work life balance. Right now, things are pretty nice in those terms...it's just definitely not the environment I want to stay in. Commute is about the same, maybe worse maybe better as it's about 2mi from where I go to now. Lunch options will be better!
If everything is the same, but your current position is toxic and this other one isn't. Sounds like you should do it...

Unless you like the punishment. Which I mean, you do own an Alpha and road bike......so........ :busted:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

got the job offer I was hoping for. Unfortunately, it's kind of shitty. A 5% salary increase, a decent annual bonus increase, better 401k match plus some other things, but it represents a lateral move rather than vertical and I'm not sure I want to change jobs after less than two years to stay in the same role, regardless of the toxicity and poor health of my current spot.

It sounds like, per the HR rep that I spoke with, that this salary was a stretch to get and they probably won't be able to go higher. Think it's reasonable to ask for the next title up, and leave salary where it is? That would be 100% worth making the switch even at the current salary and benefits...would love your ideas and suggestions...
5% salary increase = a new bike.
Decent annual bonus increase = new ///deck
Better 401k = earlier retirement

Current locale = stale/toxic

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
working from the recliner, too cold to set up the hammock yet. also no motivation for such an endeavor. a few too many beers and sheds while trying to clean up the workshop last night.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

if you want the title, ask. tell them the fact that right now, their offer isn't enough to get you to leave your current position, and lay out what they'll need to offer you in order for that to happen. play hardball. worse they'll do is say no.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you have a business that involves scheduling time, why would you not have time available more than 3 days over the next week or plan into the following month? My life is scheduled into fucking January already.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Changing job should never be just about money. How about vacation time? Paid days off? Work week? Commute? Flexible schedule? I once took a pay cut to avoid congestion in Mtl and be 40 minutes closer to home.
if all you ever do is chase money....all you will ever be is miserable....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
going to a sing a long in philly in december....it should be fun...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Toxicity is huge for me, but all my moves have basically been lateral, hence my current situation. But if the new gig has more mobility or you can get the next level at current salary, sounds more than worth it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

So I stumbled a few times on yesterday's call because I lacked good examples of certain concepts. So last night I did a bunch of reading and made a cheat sheet. I also printed some of my own code because trying to recall exact syntax from scratch was an epic failure. So I feel very prepared for today's call. It is another contract gig, but it's $5 more than where I left off, so maybe I can pay off this "vacation". Also hope to hear about the full time gig from yesterday that went well.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Toxicity is huge for me, but all my moves have basically been lateral, hence my current situation. But if the new gig has more mobility or you can get the next level at current salary, sounds more than worth it.

I think the new gig will have more vertical mobility but less lateral, and I think I'm OK with that for now. I'm more likely to get promoted due to merit at the new place as they have more freedom to simply "decide" such a thing, whereas at the old spot they're limited by department caps and HR and such nonsense. Making more is nice, but there's also the reality of potential income as well, which will be way higher at the new place. Bonus last year was 4% at the current spot. They changed it to 8% this year but the company isn't doing so hot. New spot is 15% so that's a big jump....I'm missing out on this years bonus by changing in november though...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
watching the MSG shit reminded me of the stone roses MSG sing a long show i missed out on....sooo....fuck it.....
a friend of mine was at the Asbury Misfits show last year and said it was terrible, so i had pretty much written them off until MSG. i'm considering waiting till closer to the show to try and get cheaper tickets. what section you get? if i wind up going we'd have to meet up for beers.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

If you can't decide, roll a dice. Only one thing is guaranteed - three months from now, everything will be different again.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a friend of mine was at the Asbury Misfits show last year and said it was terrible, so i had pretty much written them off until MSG. i'm considering waiting till closer to the show to try and get cheaper tickets. what section you get? if i wind up going we'd have to meet up for beers.
202 i think....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you can't decide, roll a dice. Only one thing is guaranteed - three months from now, everything will be different again.
Lol that's fair. I suppose there isn't really a reason not to take it. I like the people I work with but not for...I just don't want to make my situation worse with longer hours or micromanagement

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
this.
my new batch of cannabis oil is too strong...or im taking too much lolz.
Ate takoyaki & had cheap sake at a new Japanese joint in Boulder. came home & fell asleep watching The Deuce then woke up to E wanting to bone. all in all a good thursday. off all next week. yee haw.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:
Ran a 10k through the old hood. Been visiting a lot of the old haunts. Showed the kid a lot of the places we used to camp/swim/fish/ski up in Sequoia.

Turns out I actually kind of miss this place. :confused:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Trying to decide whether to go to Missoula for a hockey tournament Nov. 9/10. I like going to them, but it’s over 12 hours of windshield time...
Oh, you're going. :D

:wave:
Ran a 10k through the old hood. Been visiting a lot of the old haunts. Showed the kid a lot of the places we used to camp/swim/fish/ski up in Sequoia.

Turns out I actually kind of miss this place. :confused:
Nice place to visit... I find the same when I go "home"... it would suck to live there again, though.