Quantcast

Free Agent Hellcat 24

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Has anyone taken a spin on a 2004 Hellcat 24? I'm thinking about getting a bmx that's big enough for me to ride (I'm 6') and I have my eyes on this one. Also, who else makes other bmx bikes that come with 24s?

Jimmy

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Well, first off you can be 6' tall and get a bike with 20" wheels that will fit you just fine. Anything with a 21" or longer top tube and you'd be set.

I don't think I've personally seen anyone ride a Free Agent anything recently.

I don't know exactly what you intend to do with this bike, so specific recommendations might be hard, but Haro makes a 24" complete, and plenty of companies make 24" frame and fork sets.

I guess if I was going to build a cruiser for myself to race and do some dirt jumping, I'd probably build up an S&M.

KaiMana

Chimp
Oct 12, 2001
Woodland Park, CO
I am selling a modified 2001 on ebay, I put a 80mm Z5 on it and loved it for dirt jumping. I replaced my xc bike with a SC chameleon and there was just to much overlap to justify needing a total of 4 bikes. But the hellcat was better for jumping accerlates better, is tougher in case you ditch and felt more controlled in the air. I have never ridden a 20" but the guys I jump with do and seem to have an easier time throwing down most tricks(maybe I just suck:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3670303456&category=58075&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Try to get some chances to ride the different bikes you're thinking about, both 20" and 24". Most people here push for a 20" if you say bmx. You can probably find a 20" that will fit, but it really comes down to what is more comfortable and more fun for you, not that people think bmx bikes should be 20". I could find a 20" that would probably fit me, someone could probably build a 16" bike that would fit me, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna ride a pit bike. I like my 24" and don't want to change.

Just try riding the bikes in question and see what you think, it's all about you.

Attachments

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
many people over six foot tall ride bmx bikes. and do so very well.

as mentioned, get a longer top tube and maybe taller bars and you'll be fine. don't think that just because so many kids run their seat 2 inches out of their frame that you have to do the same.

set it up how it feels good to you and have some fun.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Yeah I'm shooting to get a 21" TT and probably work with 20" wheels. Like you said, I shoudl try a few different sizes and I will. Any recommended brands? I was looking at DK, 2hip, Federal, Solid, and Free Agent....

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
my only recomendation is to get a full 4130 frame that you like.

as with any bike, you will learn what you like and don't like and replace it accordingly. also, as you learn and progress, parts break. take that as an opportunity to upgrade to something better. you should have a better idea of what will work well for you after spending some time on your bike.

you can probably find a good deal used as well, seems like people are always selling bikes.

www.danscomp.com
www.albes.com
both have complete bikes but I think dans probably has better deals because of the volume they purchase at. at least it can give you a better idea of what is available.

if you have some experience riding a bike, then don't go with a low-end complete as it will fall apart much faster.

if your super rich, go all out and get whatever you like that costs tons of money. even if you don't like it, someown else will. :D

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Mudpuppy
Try to get some chances to ride the different bikes you're thinking about, both 20" and 24". Most people here push for a 20" if you say bmx. You can probably find a 20" that will fit, but it really comes down to what is more comfortable and more fun for you, not that people think bmx bikes should be 20". I could find a 20" that would probably fit me, someone could probably build a 16" bike that would fit me, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna ride a pit bike. I like my 24" and don't want to change.

Just try riding the bikes in question and see what you think, it's all about you.
Ohhhh, I need to go LSD on my Nyquist 24". I grind on the right, but my frame didn't look like it could take LSD, being indented for the sprocket on the right side only. Maybe I'll have to check again and play around with some stuff. Or maybe I'll just wait til the offseason. Wait, with indoor skateparks, there is no offseason! ;)

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Depending on how you set up your stuff when you switch, you could use the smaller drivetrain bits that have caught on so much throughout BMX. If you run a small enough chainwheel, you'll note that the dent in the chainstay won't matter at all.

Just something to consider.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by RandomV
Depending on how you set up your stuff when you switch, you could use the smaller drivetrain bits that have caught on so much throughout BMX. If you run a small enough chainwheel, you'll note that the dent in the chainstay won't matter at all.

Just something to consider.
I'm down from stock 39-16 to my current 36-15. Could go to a 14t freewheel, but I like the gearing with my 36t Evil sprocket and bash so I'm gonna keep it 36-15 for now.

ntron350

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
murland
ive got a hellcat 24 that i have only built up never ridden. it very heavy; mostly its the cranks. it comes with some crap parts like pedals, stem, cranks, but the frame seem pretty sturdy. im selling it if interested. the frame has been painted flat black as i do w/ all of my bikes. frame, fork, bars, stem, headset, and wheels for $150.

ive also got a schwinn foster cruiser which i rode around the block once. it came flat black and has a 21" top tube. very nice cromo frame. comes with s&m pitch fork, dicompe headset and k2 flip flop wheels. i have a set of s&m cruiser bars too but have been used a bit, but still are very nice. $150 for this set as well.