Quantcast

free climb video

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
1,890
0
Colorado
Dan Osman died in a 1000+ foot rope jumping accident the week after setting the world record on the very same jump. He left behind a daughter and the legacy of being probably the great freesolo and speed climber of all time, as well as one crazy son of a bitch.

RIP Dan-o
 

stevew

unique white person
Sep 21, 2001
33,249
3,889
TheInedibleHulk said:
Dan Osman died in a 1000+ foot rope jumping accident the week after setting the world record on the very same jump. He left behind a daughter and the legacy of being probably the great freesolo and speed climber of all time, as well as one crazy son of a bitch.

RIP Dan-o
Darwin always wins.
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
50,842
4,195
In a van.... down by the river
TheInedibleHulk said:
Dan Osman died in a 1000+ foot rope jumping accident the week after setting the world record on the very same jump. He left behind a daughter and the legacy of being probably the great freesolo and speed climber of all time, as well as one crazy son of a bitch.

RIP Dan-o
That book about him is a good read. Fall of the Phantom Lord
 

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
255
0
Hipsterville USA
TheInedibleHulk said:
Dan Osman died in a 1000+ foot rope jumping accident the week after setting the world record on the very same jump. He left behind a daughter and the legacy of being probably the great freesolo and speed climber of all time, as well as one crazy son of a bitch.

RIP Dan-o
I was going to say something like that except without the factual content. I would have gone something like this..."I'm pretty certain he died doing something illogical a while back."

And then I would have pointed out the double dyno and gone :eek:
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
50,842
4,195
In a van.... down by the river
Buck Fever said:
<snip>
And then I would have pointed out the double dyno and gone :eek:
He obviously did that for dramatic effect. A 5.7 would be *very* unlikely to require any sort of move like that.

There was alot of drama in that video. NTTAWWT.
 

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
38,171
4,964
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
Sort of like a base jump, only instead of a parachute the jumper has configured an insane rope configuration to arrest the fall. It's nuts.
So it is another term for suicide?
 

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
588
0
Wilmington, NC
SkaredShtles said:
He obviously did that for dramatic effect. A 5.7 would be *very* unlikely to require any sort of move like that.

There was alot of drama in that video. NTTAWWT.
For an experienced climber, 5.7 is fairly easy -- I've never seen a dynamic requirement on any 5.7s I've done. I watched it a few times and could see him dynoing past tons of holds. Dan was always quite the showman.

It's been sooo long since I climbed or bouldered, but I used to watch his vidoes a lot.

Remember the one where he had a rope strung between two spires, sprinted off one spire, leapt and clicked a quickdraw to the rope and slid along it to the other (lower) spire? Sick.
 

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
255
0
Hipsterville USA
SkaredShtles said:
He obviously did that for dramatic effect. A 5.7 would be *very* unlikely to require any sort of move like that.

There was alot of drama in that video. NTTAWWT.
Certainly not required. Still, there's no way in hell that I'm taking both hands off while 100+ feet off the deck and not roped in. Not that I would ever free solo either...what am I saying...I don't even climb anymore and the best I ever did was a 10c in a gym.
 

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
656
0
Golden, CO
Its been a long time since I climbed, but my reflexes haven't changed....

I needed to chalk up after the video so I wouldn't slip on the keeyyboarddd.
 

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
1,284
23
Back in Hell A, b1thces


I got vertigo just watching that guy. and sweaty palms.

what kind of sport is freesolo climbing? Membership into that club is way too expensive and exclusive for my tastes.
 

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
192
0
Damn those guys are crazy the one guy who does stuff in the city could run from the cops so well.
 

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
28,722
2,728
adurham said:
Damn those guys are crazy the one guy who does stuff in the city could run from the cops so well.
but he couldn't outrun will smith/the men in black

:oink: :D
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
50,842
4,195
In a van.... down by the river
Not to take away from Mr. Osman's (RIP) accomplishments, but that climb is a 5.7. For Osman a 5.7 would be akin to most of us climbing a friggin' ladder up that rock.

Of course, he still had balls the size of Texas to do that $hit without a rope. :eek:

And I couldn't even climb a frikkin' ladder that fast. :D
 
Jul 28, 2003
657
0
Eat, ME
SkaredShtles said:
Sort of like a base jump, only instead of a parachute the jumper has configured an insane rope configuration to arrest the fall. It's nuts.
If you get the chance, check out the video Masters of Stone V. It should have you shaking your head and saying "WTF"

The Cheese
 

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus
SuzyCreamcheese said:
If you get the chance, check out the video Masters of Stone V. It should have you shaking your head and saying "WTF"

The Cheese
There are old climbers and then there are bold climbers..... but there are no old bold climbers....

:)
 
Jul 28, 2003
657
0
Eat, ME
SkaredShtles said:
Bah.

Royal Robbins
Yvon Chouinard
Layton Kor

;)
George Hurley, Dick Williams, Rich Gottlieb, Henry Barber and John Bragg, are a few here in the northeast who come to mind, though Rich, John and Henry are my age.

The Cheese