Quantcast

Free email

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
well the Firewall team has started blocking free email. So I'm looking for a way around the normal free email like google / yahoo / hotmail

let me know what sites are out there that may not show up when I google "free email"

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
this is the setup i used in my brief 6 month stint in the "real world":

1) ssh tunnel to my home machine
2) vnc over the tunnel

google will tell you what you need to do to accomplish each of these steps ("ssh tunnel [youroperatingsystemhere]" and "vnc over ssh"). then you can do all your surfing and email checking through your home machine over vnc, and the corporate powers that be won't know anything. unless they're keystroke logging, that is... :dead:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
this is the setup i used in my brief 6 month stint in the "real world":

1) ssh tunnel to my home machine
2) vnc over the tunnel

google will tell you what you need to do to accomplish each of these steps ("ssh tunnel [youroperatingsystemhere]" and "vnc over ssh"). then you can do all your surfing and email checking through your home machine over vnc, and the corporate powers that be won't know anything. unless they're keystroke logging, that is... :dead:
I was always worried about my old company monitoring ssh traffic as well, but it is a good idea otherwise.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
sanjuro said:
I was always worried about my old company monitoring ssh traffic as well, but it is a good idea otherwise.
how can they monitor ssh traffic? I think all they would be able to see would be where you were initiating the connection to/from. Unless they had some way to decrypt your ssh connection, analyze the packets and then re-encrypt the packets and then send back on their way, but that doesn't sound very likely.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
dfinn said:
how can they monitor ssh traffic? I think all they would be able to see would be where you were initiating the connection to/from. Unless they had some way to decrypt your ssh connection, analyze the packets and then re-encrypt the packets and then send back on their way, but that doesn't sound very likely.
:stupid:

unless you work for the NSA you're safe with Blowfish, AES or even RSA...