Quantcast

Free iPod?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Has anyone ever done one of those free iPod things? Did you get your iPod? I've been resisting them, assuming it's a scam, but I'm pretty tempted...I'd love a new iPod.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Dear Mr. Ride Monkey, Esq:

Request For Urgent Business Relationship

First, I Must Solicit Your Strictest Confidence In This Transaction. This Is By Virtue Of Its Nature As Being Utterly Confidential And 'top Secret'. I Am Sure And Have Confidence Of Your Ability And Reliability To Prosecute A Transaction Of This Great Magnitude Involving A Pending Transaction Requiring Maxiimum Confidence. I am a N8gerian businessman...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Actually, you can really receive a free iPod. As long as you don't mind sending all of your friends and family into a spam-and-junkmail-ridden existance for the rest of their natural lives.

A friend of mine did it and got his iPod. I was a little vague on the details, in that I don't know if they were mailing lists that he signed up for or what, but it's just a pyramid/affiliate link deal. He got X number of family members to sign up, and each of them had to get X number of people to sign up, and once he had sixteen billion people signed up underneath him, he got his iPod.

It was a lot of people, though. He basically got a whole ton of drunk college kids to sign up in his dorm at nights. He'd stock his 'fridge with beer and pull up the sign-up page.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
It was a lot of people, though. He basically got a whole ton of drunk college kids to sign up in his dorm at nights. He'd stock his 'fridge with beer and pull up the sign-up page.
Hey, RM has about 14,000 people he can ask. :oink:

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
There are a lot of different offers out there...some of them OBVIOUSLY scams, but I've come across a few, read all the T&Cs a couple times, and they seem somewhat reasonable. I know lots of people do actually do this.

Let's be honest...what's another spam list? I get 95% spam anyway, a few more isn't going to make a difference.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
stinkyboy said:
What's wrong with your current iPod?
It's not skinny and black w/ video. My 30gig iPod Photo, which was the coolest thing on the planet at the time, just isn't that cool anymore. Sigh... :nopity:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ridemonkey said:
It's not skinny and black w/ video. My 30gig iPod Photo, which was the coolest thing on the planet at the time, just isn't that cool anymore. Sigh... :nopity:

Avoid a black one... they scratch too easily.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I maintain life is better withOUT an iPod. Meeting new people is good. Long drives without music suck, as does manual labor, but self-contemplation is always fun.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I tried to get one a couple years ago. It wasn't possible to complete the process without buying something. I ended up getting a blockbuster online subscription and no iPod.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ridemonkey said:
I don't have any of those symptoms.
But soon you'll have a drawer full of "outdated" pods...

I want a new one too, but I'm waiting for my dirty, scratched, dog tooth marked, uncool pod to die. I have to hit play 2-3 times for it to play, so that's a good sign...

:rolleyes:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ridemonkey said:
In what way is buying an iPod bad for the planet?
You've seen the ginormous piles full of "outdated" electronics right?

How about the ones full of fast food wrappers?

We live in a throw away society, and everyone just has to have a new flat panel display or the new pod. I'm a huge fan of cool gadgets and great industrial design, but please exercise some self control.

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've also seen all my friends benefit from buying my stuff from me second-hand. I provided computers for three friends going through university, a home theatre to another friend, speakers to another, a few cell phones here and there, etc.

My willingness to spend ridiculous amounts of money on technology helps out my friends, makes me happy, and helps to fund the development of new technology.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Ridemonkey said:
I've also seen all my friends benefit from buying my stuff from me second-hand. I provided computers for three friends going through university, a home theatre to another friend, speakers to another, a few cell phones here and there, etc.

My willingness to spend ridiculous amounts of money on technology helps out my friends, makes me happy, and helps to fund the development of new technology.
Good times! I do the same thing. I've given away a few computers, phones, etc. and I now have a contact to get some candy colored iMac's for $50 each to give to a couple friends who can't afford a new machine just to run iTunes.

There are just so many people that "burn" through electronics just because something's new.

This old New England proverb is my motto: “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.” As a wartime slogan, it helped Americans win World War II.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stinkyboy said:
You've seen the ginormous piles full of "outdated" electronics right?

How about the ones full of fast food wrappers?

We live in a throw away society, and everyone just has to have a new flat panel display or the new pod. I'm a huge fan of cool gadgets and great industrial design, but please exercise some self control.

Algore...? Is that you???

:eek:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was looking at the free laptop offer a few times because I have heard of people getting them. I didn't require you to solicit friends, but it did required getting 2 credit cards, 2 magazine/book club subscriptions, and a few "free" offers.

I thought the payoff was still cheaper than the cost of the laptop in question, but the last thing I need is 2 new credit cards (must have them for 6 months or some crap too).

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, the offer I saw required me to sign up for an account with an online poker place that was $39...still a hell of a lot less than a new iPod.