Quantcast

Free vector graphics editor

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Looking for something to edit .eps or .ai formatted vector image files with that's along the same lines as Gimp is to Photoshop. Anyone got something worth looking at?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't know why people who are sophisticated enough to dl and use gimp can't "acquire" a version of photoshop... and along those lines, Illustrator.

I also don't understand why Adobe is being so fvcking retarded about such stuff. Like why don't they release a free "lite" versions of them to build a user base? Anyone who uses the lite version will purchase the full version when they need it.

And while I'm ranting about Adobe, they "apologized" for embedding KinkosFedEx into their Acrobat software while claiming they can't do anything about it. PLUS, they're fighting with MicroSoft about having a PDF-maker embedded in their software. Fvcking with MS is a bad idea cuz you'll only motivate them to "steal" your software and destroy you.

thanks for letting me :rant: :D

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Well, my main motivation is that I want to use it occasionally on my office pc and while having a "demo" version of something like that at home won't get me in a whole lot of trouble, it's much easier to go with free versions of stuff like that on the company's machine, it's less hassle for me.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Inkscape is an open source illustrator app, but I'm not sure how far they've come with their eps and ai imports. Other than that, it's pretty good.
Seconded. As far as the "free" vector editors go, this one is WAY better than most.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
From the Inkscape Wiki:

[edit] What formats can Inkscape import/export?

Inkscape natively supports opening only SVG and SVGZ (gzipped SVG) formats.

Inkscape can natively save as SVG, SVGZ, Postscript/EPS/EPSi, Adobe Illustrator (*.ai), LaTeX (*.tex), and POVRay (*.pov).

With the help of extensions, Inkscape can open/save as PDF, EPS, AI, Dia, Sketch and some others.

Inkscape can natively import most raster formats (JPG, PNG, GIF, etc.) as bitmap images, but it can only export PNG bitmaps.

See FileTypes for discussion about file formats that people would like to see supported, and third-party tools that can be used to convert files to or from SVG.