Quantcast

Free weights vs machine thingies

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You get a much better workout using free weights. With free weights, you get a greater and more natural range of motion. Also, unlike machines, when using free weights you bring your stabilizing muscles into play as well. Machines balance the weight for you. With free weights, you can do complex exercises that involve several different movements. Most machines limit you to one specific movement. Machines are not all bad though. Some machines simulate movements that are difficult to do with free weights. Machines also help you learn how to perform a movement if you are just looking to try something new. Machines can also help better isolate a certain muscle if you are trying to target one muscle. Overall though, you'll get a much better workout and see better results using free weights. My workouts consist of mostly free weights, but I do use a couple of machines.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Free Weights = good

Machines = not so good but not horrible

That is my condensed answer cause i am tired but i can expand tomorrow. One thing I can say about machines though is how in the world can one machine fit everyone's freakin body... it doesnt work :think: thats why i say Free Weights all da way:D

Old_Dude

Monkey
Free weights are the way to go - especially if you're buying equipment for a home gym. Here's some information I found - I express some of my own opinions in parenthesis () . . .

Machines Versus Free Weights

http://hotbot.lycos.com/?MT="advantages+of+free+weights"&SQ=1&AM1=MC
http://www.fitnesspros.com/articles/machvsfree.html

The Advantages of Machines:
They are great for beginners because they are safe and easy to use.
Machines guide your body through a certain range of motion.
You don't have to worry about balancing the weight as much as with free weights.
Machines don't require as much coordination.
Machines isolate each muscle group.
Machines let you get in a fast workout. You go through a circuit of machines and then you are finished.
Machines are usually arranged so that you work large muscle groups and then smaller muscle groups.

The Disadvantages of Machines:
Machines don't fit everybody. They can be hard to adjust.
Machines don't build as much balance or coordination.
Machines can put your body into a bad range of motion. (If you feel uncomfortable move onto another machine)
Machines are not portable. They can't be moved around very easily.
Many bodybuilders believe that working out with machines alone doesn't build a very good body.

The Advantages of Free Weights:
Free weights are versatile. One set of dumbells can be used for many exercises.
Free weights build better balance and coordination.
Free weights work your muscles in a way that matches real life.
Many bodybuilders primarily use free weights to gain their massive size.
Free weights allow you to strengthen muscles and tendons that wouldn't get much work when using machines.
(free weights can be cheaper to obtain & take up less space than a machine)
(using free weights you can exercise every muscle group in your body)

The Disadvantages of Free Weights:
Free weights can be difficult because of the balance and coordination required (again, if you use proper form and common sense, this is not a factor).
A free weight workout will take longer than a machine workout (not always true, in fact just the opposite can be true).
You can get injured easier using free weights (but use common sense and you'll be fine).

(Get a good quality, adjustable bench, a set of dumbbells, 5-45 lbs. to start, & go for it. This investment should be around $400 to $450. I'd also recommend against one of the "all-in-one" dumbbell systems - they won't allow a more flexible range of motion for several exercises and the cost is about the same. They do, however, take up much less space than a set of dumbbells.)

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
I use both... to mix it up every once in a while... I only a few of the machines though... leg press sled, peck deck, shoulder flys, but I also do free weights for those too... like I said, just something to mix it up every once in a while...