Quantcast

Free Wheelin Bob Dylan

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Sweet, just a man, his harmonica and a guitar. Fight the power man.
Also The Times they are a-changin. Is a great album in fact i'm going to list it as a must have.
t

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
hmm, just got a bunch of bob from a friend and haven't explored it yet. I'll add that to my afternoon listening!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i expected most of the songs to sound like you hear people make fun of him, kind of off tune whiney but the majority of the songs on the 3 albums I bought aren’t like that. now he doesnt really have a 'singing' voice but it's not as bad as people make out. some are and it seems like he's making fun of himself when there like that.
the show will be worth checking out.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
narlus said:
if you think you can sum up a goddamn TITAN by referencing some coffee shop you are sorely mistaken.
Oh, did I touch a nerve? The biggest fake of anti-establishment erm, 'music' who gets bullied by his mom, who sells out at the first opportunity. Great. Why couldn't he have been cool enough to shoot himself or take a drug overdose? Because he's not cool. He sucks, and his music sucks.

I hate Bob Dylan.

J

JRB

Changleen said:
I hate Bob Dylan.
He is evidence of the abundance of drug usage in the 60s and 702. Dear God, I dislike his tunes. Now, Guns N Roses - rock on.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
Changleen said:
Oh, did I touch a nerve? The biggest fake of anti-establishment erm, 'music' who gets bullied by his mom, who sells out at the first opportunity. Great. Why couldn't he have been cool enough to shoot himself or take a drug overdose? Because he's not cool. He sucks, and his music sucks.

I hate Bob Dylan.

have u ever actually listened to any bob dylan?
if you hate dylan then you sure as hell hate hendrix too, and those two influenced modern music more than any other musician has (especially hendrix, im a big fan, and he took alot after dylan actually covered all along the watch tower)

what do u like, new rock adn s**t? bc 99% of it is that, s**t, very few exceptions in bucketheads, primus and a handful of other talenmted musicians

sorry for the rant, cheers

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
formermtboarder said:
if you hate dylan then you sure as hell hate hendrix too, and those two influenced modern music more than any other musician has (especially hendrix, im a big fan, and he took alot after dylan actually covered all along the watch tower)
Speaking of I bought Electric lady land, Bold as love and are you experienced at the same time.
Are you experienced is by far the best of the 3 but I’m a little let down by the quality of the recording. Bold as love comes in second and ell comes in last, although the last 2 have a better recorded sound quality.
I have to admit I like SRV’s covers of JH better you have to give props to the original artist.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
formermtboarder said:

what do u like, new rock adn s**t? bc 99% of it is that, s**t, very few exceptions in bucketheads, primus and a handful of other talenmted musicians

I think it's funny that you just said Dylan, Hendrix and Primus in the same breath. How can you equate two cornerstones of rock n roll with a band who's best known for singing about about a certain kleptomaniac's down-there-hair??

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
bluebug32 said:
I think it's funny that you just said Dylan, Hendrix and Primus in the same breath. How can you equate two cornerstones of rock n roll with a band who's best known for singing about about a certain kleptomaniac's down-there-hair??
TRUE but no body has EVER rocked the bass like Les

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The Toninator said:
TRUE but no body has EVER rocked the bass like Les
I prefer Mike Watt to Les Claypool

I could never get into anything by Primus.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
formermtboarder said:

No, my friend, I don't like "new rock and sh!t". I happen to dislike Bob Dylan. You don't like it? Shove it.

Ok, let's put it this way...

Dylan is folk. I'm not a folk fan, but I do listen to a few things in that genere; I don't like him or his style. I recognize his influence in r&r, but I don't care to listen to him. I prefer to listen to music such as Guns 'n Roses, Aerosmith, the Stones, AC/DC, etc etc. There is plenty of good music out there that isn't Bob Dylan or the Beatles.

And I'll say this: I'll dislike whomever I damn well please. I happen to like Hendrix. I happen to listen to certain folk musicians as well. I don't happen to like Dylan or HIS music, not the genere.

loco said:
He is evidence of the abundance of drug usage in the 60s and 702. Dear God, I dislike his tunes. Now, Guns N Roses - rock on.
I actually agree with you on something. How'd that happen?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
robdamanii said:
No, my friend, I don't like "new rock and sh!t". I happen to dislike Bob Dylan. You don't like it? Shove it.

Ok, let's put it this way...

Dylan is folk. I'm not a folk fan, but I do listen to a few things in that genere; I don't like him or his style. I recognize his influence in r&r, but I don't care to listen to him. I prefer to listen to music such as Guns 'n Roses, Aerosmith, the Stones, AC/DC, etc etc. There is plenty of good music out there that isn't Bob Dylan or the Beatles.

And I'll say this: I'll dislike whomever I damn well please. I happen to like Hendrix. I happen to listen to certain folk musicians as well. I don't happen to like Dylan or HIS music, not the genere.

I actually agree with you on something. How'd that happen?
gandr canceled.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dismissing dylan as "folk" is kinda laughable for a guy w/ hundreds of songs and countless lps under his belt. have you even considered his lyrical approach?

then again, w/ stated preferences of known wordsmiths like axl rose:

"Take me down to the paradise city
Where the grass is green
And the girls are pretty
Take me home (Oh, won't you please take me home)"

or bon scott:

"Well me and the boys
Are out to have some fun
Gonna put on a show
Come on, let's go

There's gonna be some rockin'
There's gonna be some rockin' at the show tonight"

i guess it is a pointless argument.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
dismissing dylan as "folk" is kinda laughable for a guy w/ hundreds of songs and countless lps under his belt. have you even considered his lyrical approach?

Where the grass is green
And the girls are pretty

or bon scott:

"Well me and the boys
Are out to have some fun
Gonna put on a show
Come on, let's go

And narlus scores the win.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Comparing Rose to Dylan is apples to oranges--very different styles of music. For a rock ballad, Rose has got it down pat. For politically charged, metaphorical, deeply rooted lyrics, it's got to be Dylan all the way.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
narlus said:

Where the grass is green
And the girls are pretty

or bon scott:

"Well me and the boys
Are out to have some fun
Gonna put on a show
Come on, let's go

I don't happen to care to listen to him. I don't like his style. Is that so hard for people to understand? If I want to listen to a Dylan, I will listen to his kid.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
formermtboarder said:
No, never. I hate it irrationally.
if you hate dylan then you sure as hell hate hendrix too,
What a retarded statement. Hendrix is totally different. He's good for a start. Anyway, you can't hear Jimmy, so how would you know?
and those two influenced modern music more than any other musician has (especially hendrix, im a big fan, and he took alot after dylan actually covered all along the watch tower)
Rubbish. They were influences, but by no means 'more than any other musician'.
No, most of that is crap too. Primus especially suck cock.
No worries. I like arguing about personal asthetic tastes as absolutes. It's good clean pointless fun.

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
so which one of you Dylan musicologists is going to bust out a kick-ass song list? I like some, love some, can't stand some of his work. Overall though, I have very little knowledge of his body of work and would appreciate a starting point.

and with that, I'll slip on my headphones and listen to some Bob.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
grundy said:
so which one of you Dylan musicologists is going to bust out a kick-ass song list? I like some, love some, can't stand some of his work. Overall though, I have very little knowledge of his body of work and would appreciate a starting point.

and with that, I'll slip on my headphones and listen to some Bob.
No need, I have a mp3 of a cat fight you can listen to instead. It's more pleasing to the ears.