Quantcast

Freecoaster FUn

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
So, if i got a free coaster i woudl be able to ride backwards much easier than with a regular hub?

just curious....

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I suck at riding backwards... the furthest i can go is about 3 feet.... lol... something with looking backwards and pedalling backwards just doens;t feel right to me... i may get a free coaster....

what are the ups and down of a free coaster hub?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ups is no pedaling downs is engegement, you have to keep it slack or it will engage when ur coasting, i have about 1/4th a turn engagement and im safe but with the 1-2 inches i could coast without it locking up

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
demo-9: freecoasters also require constant maitenence if you want them to last. I rebuild mine every week in the summer/riding season (after 5ish rides.). Pull it apart, de-grease, and re-grease, put together, adjust, done. Its easy, and takes a half hour or so... but some people like "set it and forget it" instead of working on their bikes.

a plus may be a completely silent hub.. but some may consider that a downfall.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
demo-9: freecoasters also require constant maitenence if you want them to last. I rebuild mine every week in the summer/riding season (after 5ish rides.). Pull it apart, de-grease, and re-grease, put together, adjust, done. Its easy, and takes a half hour or so... but some people like "set it and forget it" instead of working on their bikes.

a plus may be a completely silent hub.. but some may consider that a downfall.
thank you, i was not aware of this :clapping:

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
cool vid man.

i run a freecoaster on my bmx. its fun for me doing lil tech tricks with them but would never use a freecoaster on anything but street. engagement is sketchy. bearings can go quickly on 9T drivers. i went through one set already but i'm not too hard on the hub.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I love my old geisha. I picked it up second hand and must've got lucky. I have had it on my bmx bike for about half a year, have rebuilt it twice, and it's still running smoothly. I am definitely not a smooth rider and like to land sideways when I spin sets, but it hasn't broke yet. Heck, the bearings are still unreasonably smooth to the point where I can actually tell the difference between running my coaster and a normal cassette hub. I don't use pedal pressure ever, though, so that might have a bunch to do with everything still working.

Oh, and here are some cons for freecoasters:
- It's harder to ride fakie with. Being able to use pedal pressure to help balance fakies is a pretty huge deal and you don't really realize it until you make the switch and retry a few lines. Not to mention, you can't slow down while riding backwards. Going mach10 backwards is really scary and you have no idea how insane it is until you get on a coaster.
- Because of the "no pedal pressure" gig, it /can/ make halfcabs and fullcabs harder. Sliders are easier, on the other hand.
-On the same lines as the above two . . . no bitch cranking. Because of the slack, you better have all of the pedaling you need in between jumps. Half-pedals and any sort of ratcheting is a thing of the past.
- Grinding, if you have the EAS axle system, is a nono. People do it, but the pegs breaks.
- Generally, they're a bit heavier than cassette hubs. Then again, only really hip bmx kids care about weight that much, anyways. Right?
- Additional set up for lines. Meaning, if you plan on going backwards, you need to backpedal for slack. If I do a trick that involves moving the pedals a bit, like a turndown, and plan on going backwards after landing, I only really feel comfortable tossing a backpedal in after landing and before popping into fakie.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Could be total BS, but I heard that KHE was considering making an actual coaster brake hub.

* Bike has brakeless look !
* Non-pedaling rollbacks !
* Secret braking ability !

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I had a Perigrine freecoaster on my flatland bike and it took a good month to get used to it. The hardest part was the engagement because it took about 45 degrees of forward crank to catch. Maybe because it was old and worn. Regardless, 180's, fakies, rollbacks... were sooo much easier and smoother.