Quantcast

Freedom hangover...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Morning all. Would say good, but the fucking shooting celebrating freedumb yesterday hit a little close to home. How much freedumb is enough? Hope all are well and have all the fingers and loved ones you started yesterday with.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello

Body decided to wake up at 6. Hmph. Shall be working from the hospital today. Tuesday == pancreatic cancer conference. New residents and fellows getting up to speed, too, since it’s July and all.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I was going to go for a ride this morning before work but the war zone explosions had the dogs freaking out and jumping on me in fear on the bed until late last night. Wife went into the guest bed to sleep as even a cal king is not big enough for 2 humans and 4 large dogs. I managed to get just over 5 hours of sleep. no bueno I feel like shit with head fuzzies. Hopefully the strong espresso with kick in.

Re the shootings in Highland park IL. My cousin just moved from there. His best friend was there with his family. one of the dead was just a few feet from them. his kids are totally freaked. they were unhurt. this shit is nuts.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Was wet here today, was walking along a driveway and the water was flowing so quickly that it was entering my boots.
Got a bit over 4" of rain at home but had more elsewhere.
IMG_20220705_225525.jpg

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
No parade and no interest from the family. Haley didn't want to see it and Wifey didn't want to be around people. Haley went on another rant about how shitty this country is after finding out about the shooting. I am 100% confident that she will leave the day that she can.

Hannah was up until 10pm because of people blowing shit up. Lots of airborne WY fireworks, which in a place that's highly flammable, reiterates the stupidity of our area. Had a half-dozen ground borne poppers, but that's it.

New electric motor has pretty substantial torque issues when cutting and mulching >1". Went through 6 batteries on just the front yard. Not super impressed.

200 emails pending with client meetings from 815-445 straight with 1hr built in for lunch. Today's gonna suck.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
No parade and no interest from the family. Haley didn't want to see it and Wifey didn't want to be around people. Haley went on another rant about how shitty this country is after finding out about the shooting. I am 100% confident that she will leave the day that she can.

Hannah was up until 10pm because of people blowing shit up. Lots of airborne WY fireworks, which in a place that's highly flammable, reiterates the stupidity of our area. Had a half-dozen ground borne poppers, but that's it.

New electric motor has pretty substantial torque issues when cutting and mulching >1". Went through 6 batteries on just the front yard. Not super impressed.

200 emails pending with client meetings from 815-445 straight with 1hr built in for lunch. Today's gonna suck.
:(

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
up. coffee. work, i guess. hrmf. pnw dropper lever arrived while we were away. impressed with how quickly it arrived and came with not one, but two spare cables, housing, ferules, etc. seems nicely made too. will install tonight.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Took Friday off, had yesterday off. 27 minutes back at work and I'm ready for the 10 day vacation to start next Wednesday.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wahoo! I made it through almost all the emails! ~100 were delete, 50 are something insignificant to do, and 50 were meetings being scheduled over the next 2 weeks. Which are 3- and 3-day weeks. Oh boy!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Still sick.

More cat barf.

Someone from the town was banging on the door this morning, but I couldn't get my pants on quick enough before they left.

This cold or whatever sucks. Every time I start to fall asleep, my throat gets itchy and I start coughing.

Balls. Oh well.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Which one did you get? I have the Greenworks 60V 25" two blade one and it does just fine. 4 Ah + 2 Ah battery more than enough to do front and back.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Oh Forf 'O July, you are one of my favorite holidays. Normally I'd be in Vail or Beaver Creek, but blah.

Thankfully, my buddy's party did not disappoint, and it was a lot less driving!

If you all are fans of Jim Gaffigan, this bit never gets old.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Which one did you get? I have the Greenworks 60V 25" two blade one and it does just fine. 4 Ah + 2 Ah battery more than enough to do front and back.
Makita 18 in. 18-Volt X2 (36-Volt) LXT Lithium-Ion. Didn't get larger because it won't fit down the stairs into the backyard.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Makita 18 in. 18-Volt X2 (36-Volt) LXT Lithium-Ion. Didn't get larger because it won't fit down the stairs into the backyard.
Yeah, I thought of that one, too, since I have a bunch of Makita batteries. But it seemed like it sucked, and now you have confirmed it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Finally leaving this unnatural, sun blasted hell scape, for more favorable environs. Though, I must say the Uncle's did a hell of a job keeping everyone fed, soaked in alcohol, and preventing drownings in the pool. A pretty okay time was had by all, I think. Spending tonight in Santa Fe. Mmmmm....... Green Chili :drool:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah, I thought of that one, too, since I have a bunch of Makita batteries. But it seemed like it sucked, and now you have confirmed it.
I'm going to try the backyard tomorrow or wed, since the batteries will be fully charged. If it still can't cut it, it will go back. I want electric and would prefer to stay on one battery platform.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Finally leaving this unnatural, sun blasted hell scape, for more favorable environs. Though, I must say the Uncle's did a hell of a job keeping everyone fed, soaked in alcohol, and preventing drownings in the pool. A pretty okay time was had by all, I think. Spending tonight in Santa Fe. Mmmmm....... Green Chili :drool:
Did someone mention green chile?? View of my stove right now:

1657037550522.png

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm going to try the backyard tomorrow or wed, since the batteries will be fully charged. If it still can't cut it, it will go back. I want electric and would prefer to stay on one battery platform.
Do you have decent outlet access? We have a Greenworks plug-in and it has plenty of power to mow our tiny front and back lawns. The cord is, admittedly, a bit of a PITA, but alleviates the need for all those nasty rare-earth materials inherent in those batteries. :D

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Blash, back to work, this is not the freedom I was promised!

Shoulda asked teh Monkey, I could have told you all of the pitfalls the Makita. It's fine for a small yard and if you stay on top of lawn maintenance, but if you're like me and you tend to not mow for weeks at a time it struggles. One thing that seems to help a ton is making a first pass with the deck all the way up to get the majority knocked down, then a second at your desired cut height. The blade also sucks at flinging heavy clippings into the hopper, so dumping the back more often has helped a ton.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Remember folks, wipe front to back. It's the only way.

Spent some time getting fancy with my baseboards this weekend. Just need to dial in the lengths and copes.

20220704_125059_copy_1008x477.jpg

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Blash, back to work, this is not the freedom I was promised!

Shoulda asked teh Monkey, I could have told you all of the pitfalls the Makita. It's fine for a small yard and if you stay on top of lawn maintenance, but if you're like me and you tend to not mow for weeks at a time it struggles. One thing that seems to help a ton is making a first pass with the deck all the way up to get the majority knocked down, then a second at your desired cut height. The blade also sucks at flinging heavy clippings into the hopper, so dumping the back more often has helped a ton.
I figured the bag out pretty fast. After half the lawn failing with mulching I switched to bagging which helped. I just hate tossing the clippings because it pulls nutrients out of the grass.

I did the second half of the lawn (opposite the driveway) at height 9 vs 5 and it worked way better.

Do you have decent outlet access? We have a Greenworks plug-in and it has plenty of power to mow our tiny front and back lawns. The cord is, admittedly, a bit of a PITA, but alleviates the need for all those nasty rare-earth materials inherent in those batteries. :D
Our lawn is large and misshapen enough that it's a pita just to use the corded blower. A corded mower would be too much.

The goal is to xeriscape 50%+ next year, and the battery mower should be fine then.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That was also my plan when I bought mine, it's been 5 years, and 2 houses, still haven't managed to de-grass my life.
I got rid of 50% backyard at last house and ~10% front. We have big incentives here too - $1/sqft. Goal is 50% front yard, 25% backyard, then adtl 10% backyard into garden.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I got rid of 50% backyard at last house and ~10% front. We have big incentives here too - $1/sqft. Goal is 50% front yard, 25% backyard, then adtl 10% backyard into garden.
We're banned from watering lawns until the drought lets up, but our incentives to replace the grass are a joke unfortunately. You have to have a landscape architect draw up the new plans, submit for permits etc, so that expense alone wipes out the entire rebate for most homeowners. You also have to prove your grass is alive and well before starting the process, so mine with dead-spots doesn't even qualify for the whole amount.

Most people just say fuck it, keep watering and accept the fine if they get caught, and TBH I'm not sure I blame them. As long as Almond farming uses more water than all our cities combined, it's very hard to locate a single fuck one might otherwise give.

Been looking for somebody to put fake grass in the backyard so the dogs have a nice spot to poop, front will likely get some decomposed granite, cactus/succulents and some chairs for me to sit in and drink beers with the neighbors.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We're banned from watering lawns until the drought lets up, but our incentives to replace the grass are a joke unfortunately. You have to have a landscape architect draw up the new plans, submit for permits etc, so that expense alone wipes out the entire rebate for most homeowners. You also have to prove your grass is alive and well before starting the process, so mine with dead-spots doesn't even qualify for the whole amount.

Most people just say fuck it, keep watering and accept the fine if they get caught, and TBH I'm not sure I blame them. As long as Almond farming uses more water than all our cities combined, it's very hard to locate a single fuck one might otherwise give.

Been looking for somebody to put fake grass in the backyard so the dogs have a nice spot to poop, front will likely get some decomposed granite, cactus/succulents and some chairs for me to sit in and drink beers with the neighbors.
Fake grass has lots of small plastics, which is why we're not going that way.

And look at the native plant life. Find some nice native flowering stuff, because women folk like that. Easy peasy.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Tucson style.