Quantcast

Freedom of the Press?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,176825,00.html

Copies of a high school's student newspaper were seized by administrators because the edition contained stories about birth control and tattoos, stirring a First Amendment debate.

The Oak Leaf's birth control article listed success rates for different methods and said contraceptives were available from doctors and the local health department. Superintendent Tom Bailey said the article needed to be edited so it would be acceptable for the entire school.

The edition also contained a photo of an unidentified student's tattoo, and the student had not told her parents about the tattoo, said Superintendent Tom Bailey.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Doesn't really sound like a first amendment issue as much as a privacy issue, but it seems dumb to get worked up about it in the first place.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
DRB said:
How's it a privacy issue?
Chances are the girl doesn't want her parents to know about the tattoo. I haven't exactly read the article, so I can't really make a judgment call, but that's what I'm guessing the original controversy was about, not the birth control. I can't imagine anyone but an ultraconservative school banning an article about birth control products.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Does a high school (or other private publication) fall under the first amendment?

Doesn't the freedom of the press argument start and end with the publisher and top editor?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I believe high school publications do not fall under the 1st Amendment. This is this not the first case like this to come under scrutiny, and from what I remember, the principal has control because he is "protecting" the students. Similar to a ban on offensive t-shirts or skimpy skirts.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
LordOpie said:
Does a high school (or other private publication) fall under the first amendment?

Doesn't the freedom of the press argument start and end with the publisher and top editor?
They should. They get federal money, right?

But they don't. Fourth amendment doesn't apply either. And the second sure as hell doesn't :D

edit: Me being the smartass that I am, if I was on that paper I'd try to sneak in a mention of where the nearest abortion clinic is in the next issue. After all, if you're going to keep them dumb about birth control...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
LordOpie said:
There have been several cases where they are judged not to fall under the first amendment. Seems like this comes up every 10 years or so.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
BEcause the stories aboout tattos and B.C. your all saying, the 1st/4th amendments protect there rights to print such things, but I' d be willing to bet if the controversy was about a school paper that had stories about christianity in it you'd all be singin a different tune

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The Amish said:
BEcause the stories aboout tattos and B.C. your all saying, the 1st/4th amendments protect there rights to print such things, but I' d be willing to bet if the controversy was about a school paper that had stories about christianity in it you'd all be singin a different tune
:think: THAT...was a damn good point...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The Amish said:
Um, no.

Although a story about a guy getting drunk and screwing his daughters would probably make a lot of Christians angry...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Public schools have been ruled to be exempt from bill of rights because they are acting "in loco parentis." That is, schools have not just the right, but also the responsibility, to shield students from images or messages they find harmful, just as any good parent should. Therefore any subjects not explicitly permitted or forbidden in legislature can be censored within the grounds of the school by school administration as they see fit. If locals don't like what is being cesnored, they can push through legislation explicitly permitting such subjects.

I don't personally agree with the censorship in this case, but it's perfectly legal. This one's cut and dry folks.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The Amish said:
Get off your persecution complex. Christian newsletters are distributed freely in thousands of public highschools, and no one makes a stink. But these are letters from students to students, that they can choose to read or not. That is very different than an authority figure (e.g. teacher) speaking the same message in an inappropriate classroom setting (e.g. Spanish class or Football practice).

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
ohio said:
Public schools have been ruled to be exempt from bill of rights because they are acting "in loco parentis." That is, schools have not just the right, but also the responsibility, to shield students from images or messages they find harmful, just as any good parent should. Therefore any subjects not explicitly permitted or forbidden in legislature can be censored within the grounds of the school by school administration as they see fit. If locals don't like what is being cesnored, they can push through legislation explicitly permitting such subjects.

I don't personally agree with the censorship in this case, but it's perfectly legal. This one's cut and dry folks.
What scares me about this is that, especially in cases like this, we seem to be teaching our children that censorship is right. In a time when lots of high school students have a poor understanding of what the bill of rights provides them, we reinforce those misunderstandings by bypassing the rights that are provided.

You made a very logical point of why, do you think that the kids in this case were provided the samething? I'm betting that at some point it boiled down to "do it because we say to do it".

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DRB said:
You made a very logical point of why, do you think that the kids in this case were provided the samething? I'm betting that at some point it boiled down to "do it because we say to do it".
seems to me that this is a great opportunity for all schools to create a generic 'article' for newspapers that explain their responsibility to protect students and educate them about the bill of rights... just drop it in every time a school censors a story.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
LordOpie said:
seems to me that this is a great opportunity for all schools to create a generic 'article' for newspapers that explain their responsibility to protect students and educate them about the bill of rights... just drop it in every time a school censors a story.
Bingo.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
LordOpie said:
Whatever. Like its the schools responsibility to educate kids... :rolleyes: You wacked out liberal, everyone knows kids need to take some personal responsibility and educate themselves, instead of sucking on the teat of society and wasting my tax-money.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
ohio said:
Whatever. Like its the schools responsibility to educate kids... :rolleyes: You wacked out liberal, everyone knows kids need to take some personal responsibility and educate themselves, instead of sucking on the teat of society and wasting my tax-money.
What would your conservative brothers say with you talking all potty mouth?

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
ohio said:
Get off your persecution complex. Christian newsletters are distributed freely in thousands of public highschools, and no one makes a stink. But these are letters from students to students, that they can choose to read or not. That is very different than an authority figure (e.g. teacher) speaking the same message in an inappropriate classroom setting (e.g. Spanish class or Football practice).

Man, I dont even go to church. I beleive in the dollar and the peach if you know what I mean. JUst pointing out the hipocracy of all you lib nut jobs. Personaly Id let the story stand. ANyone who thinks kids can be sheilde from anything these days is kidding themselves

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's a good thing you're not responsible for a group of kids since you're basically saying, "eh, why try?"

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The Amish said:
Man, I dont even go to church. I beleive in the dollar and the peach if you know what I mean. JUst pointing out the hipocracy of all you lib nut jobs. Personaly Id let the story stand. ANyone who thinks kids can be sheilde from anything these days is kidding themselves
You're a product of the public school system, right?

Goddamn, I'm not getting my money's worth.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
All im saying is by the time i was 12 I'd learned all seven of the words you cant say on tv. Where to stick it. Stolen my first beer. Smoked my first cig, and learned the joys of fire. There was no school papers. It was 80's Tv which by all accounts is way dumbed down compared to the standard programing of today, and kids we're by all accounts far less exposed to sex/violence than they are today. What does this mean? Unless you can find a way to censor the mouths of all your kids classmates theres nothing you can do to shelter your kids from the realities of the world. By making something taboo, all your doing is making it 10 times more appealing than it already was. Thats got to be something all you hippie crackpots can understand. Besides do you realy believe that there isn't one of those kids that cant recite word for word what that story was about without even reading the article. Come on, that sh#t was probably old news around the sandbox by the time it made it to print. All these people are doing is grandstanding to make themsaelves feel better about a situation they have no control over.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No school paper at BOCES?

The Amish said:
All im saying is by the time i was 12 I'd learned all seven of the words you cant say on tv. Where to stick it. Stolen my first beer. Smoked my first cig, and learned the joys of fire. There was no school papers. It was 80's Tv which by all accounts is way dumbed down compared to the standard programing of today, and kids we're by all accounts far less exposed to sex/violence than they are today. What does this mean? Unless you can find a way to censor the mouths of all your kids classmates theres nothing you can do to shelter your kids from the realities of the world. By making something taboo, all your doing is making it 10 times more appealing than it already was. Thats got to be something all you hippie crackpots can understand. Besides do you realy believe that there isn't one of those kids that cant recite word for word what that story was about without even reading the article. Come on, that sh#t was probably old news around the sandbox by the time it made it to print. All these people are doing is grandstanding to make themsaelves feel better about a situation they have no control over.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
DRB said:
What would your conservative brothers say with you talking all potty mouth?
If it was a comment about or to liberals, they would say, "How blessed were you, to be filled with the spirit of wisdom and truth, and the gift of the eloquent speech." :p :D

Speech is still free ain't it? :think: