Quantcast

Freehub grease or oil?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So my hub is a bit of a mystery. Not sure if they recommend oil or grease.

Anyways, I put some oil in it but it seems to slowly leak out the big seal on the freehub body.

So I was going to grab some Dumonde freehub grease.

Is there any reason not to?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Factor hub. They don't really have models, from what I can tell.

Good luck googling it :busted:

They use a standard pawl and ratchet ring setup.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
buy a small bottle of King drive lube. It's very viscous but still flows, and I've found it to work great in any hub I've cleaned / overhauled (not just CK)
Is it more viscous than most chain lubes? I guess that's the only thing I have to compare. Or sort of like Fox gold oil?

It might work if it's thicker and the seals actually hold it in. The stuff I used ended up contaminating my pads slightly a few weeks ago, during a long drive on the freeway. I could also see a few drips of it when the bike sat over night. Kind of puzzling that the large seal wouldn't hold it in.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
NSMB guys swear by Dumondetech's stuff. If you're talking about ratchet style freehubs I'd go with just a dab of light oil. For pawl style freehubs I like to use not-so-thick grease. Tried that blue marine stuff once and when I opened the hub at the next service the interior looked like pancake batter.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I did straight Slickoleum once and that ended poorly, was too thick and pawls chipped.

Pretty sure I mixed it with engine oil last time.
I'm a what's at hand type, not a what's perfect for the job type.

My current Hadley seemed to have the wrong stuff/amount in it from new, took a month or so for it to stop skipping. I kept forgetting about it as it only happened once or twice a ride.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have used a bottle of Dumondtech for the last 4years. Hubs, shifters, for pretty much everything.
Same. I have a few Race Face Vault rear hubs (pawl style) and the Dumonde Tech oil works well in these. For my DT240 (star ratchet), I use a thin film of DT grease.

I'd be interested to experiment with the Dumonde Tech grease, but I can't find any. Anyways, my hubs are performing flawlessly...not sure why I'd want to mess with something that works and make it worse.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Same. I have a few Race Face Vault rear hubs (pawl style) and the Dumonde Tech oil works well in these. For my DT240 (star ratchet), I use a thin film of DT grease.

I'd be interested to experiment with the Dumonde Tech grease, but I can't find any. Anyways, my hubs are performing flawlessly...not sure why I'd want to mess with something that works and make it worse.
Full Cycle out of Ottawa has some of the grease.

I ended up ordering the grease and some Ring Drive lube per @Nick 's suggestion. Also through Full Cycle - just had to use the chat thing to order the lube, as it's not on their site.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Full Cycle out of Ottawa has some of the grease.

I ended up ordering the grease and some Ring Drive lube per @Nick 's suggestion. Also through Full Cycle - just had to use the chat thing to order the lube, as it's not on their site.
Well, that's a bummer! I ordered a Lyrik air shaft at Full Cycle 2 weeks ago and I actually searched for the grease on their site, without success. :(

I'll get some on my next order. Thanks!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well, that's a bummer! I ordered a Lyrik air shaft at Full Cycle 2 weeks ago and I actually searched for the grease on their site, without success. :(

I'll get some on my next order. Thanks!
Ah! Free shipping over $30, but that grease is at $27. Not sure what is $3 on there, maybe a presta valve? :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How much oil are you using that it’s leaking enough to contaminate your brakes? Typically a drop or two will do I think.
I don't know if that's what it is, I've since switched pads and the rears are kinda vibrating again. Might just be resonance on this frame with these particular brakes.

But it for sure leaked out. I only put a few drops, maybe a drop on each pawl? But after a few rides dirt was sticking to that side of the hub and back of the cassette.

The seal on this hub is a few mm thick, but it's not very tight. Not like the plastic seal on Hope hubs for example.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't know if that's what it is, I've since switched pads and the rears are kinda vibrating again. Might just be resonance on this frame with these particular brakes.

But it for sure leaked out. I only put a few drops, maybe a drop on each pawl? But after a few rides dirt was sticking to that side of the hub and back of the cassette.

The seal on this hub is a few mm thick, but it's not very tight. Not like the plastic seal on Hope hubs for example.
This is why I use both grease and oil. Something thin enough so lubrication isn't just pushed away from where it needs to be but thick enough to not leak. I basically apply a thin layer of Slick Honey to everything then add a few drops of gear oil in before reassembly. Basically end up with a very thin grease, which is basically what the King stuff is.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Very very good chance your hub is a novatec with a factor logo on it. I would use whatever novatec recommends. Google tells me it could be RSP grease: https://www.rspbikecare.com/shop-english/grease/

My novatec/prime hubs came with a light, white lithium style grease on the pawls. Honestly I didn't replace it when I replaced the Freehub with an XDR and it's been working great. I may have to replace another freehub soon and will seek to use a similar lightweight grease like a slick honey for reassembly.