Quantcast

Freelap Transmitters Stolen

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
Two Freelap transmitters were stolen today from Diablo Freeride Park. The transmitters were more than likely stolen by someone from within the mountain biking community and someone familiar with how the Freelap system works.

The rider(s) that have stolen this equipment represent the worst in mountain biking and exactly the selfish attitude that is holding our sport back today.

Until these items are returned, we will no longer be offering the Freelap timing amenity at Diablo during the 2008 season. In addition, we will offer a reward for any information leading to the return of these transmitters, as well as information leading to the identity of the riders possessing the stolen property.

This is a small industry and a small community of riders and we are confident this information will float up. If you have any info, please email us at info@diablofreeridepark.com.

To the riders who stole this property; thank you for ruining what was a very cool, trend-setting concept... you should be proud.

mntbiker2

Monkey
Jun 30, 2007
wow! the peron(s) who stole this is soo dumb...freelap was soo cool and now no more till 2009..

ahh sucks hopefully the people will return it or something.....

-def keep an eye out for um on ebay and craigslist..maybe the dumbass is dumb enough to sell them....

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
-def keep an eye out for um on ebay and craigslist..maybe the dumbass is dumb enough to sell them....
Thanks.. Since the transmitters can only be used with the Freelap Stopwatches, then the individuals either:

-Currently own a Freelap Stopwatch
-Have intentions of buying some

Since we have access to all Freelap sales records we'll be keeping an eye out for sure. The Freelap concept was such a cool innovation. We will reintroduce the Freelap concept next season and the program will also be at other notable mtb parks throughout the country.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Thanks.. Since the transmitters can only be used with the Freelap Stopwatches, then the individuals either:

-Currently own a Freelap Stopwatch
-Have intentions of buying some

Since we have access to all Freelap sales records we'll be keeping an eye out for sure. The Freelap concept was such a cool innovation. We will reintroduce the Freelap concept next season and the program will also be at other notable mtb parks throughout the country.
i agree... this is one of the reasons why me and joey decided not to do the race

mntbiker2

Monkey
Jun 30, 2007
i agree... this is one of the reasons why me and joey decided not to do the race
naa man dont do that..you guys had a great idea seriously...go with it dont let stupid idiots hold you back on something that can be a real good idea...just have people keep an eye on them!

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
It's a shame that people within such a small, relatively tight knit community would do something so inconsiderate and childish. I think it should go without saying that if these dudes are caught they should get permanently banned from Diablo and any other parks in the northeast that see fit. Police should be involved as well. When people act like this there should be as complete a punishment as possible.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Not cool at all, do we need trail Marshall's now?... wtf....

Are we to start locking our bikes to the Rail when we go to the bathroom now? Douche-Bags!

Last edited:

bruiser2

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Pelham, NY
are you talking about the ones at indy cross, i saw the wires sticking out of the ground with no transmitterswith mike 2day at the top, nd we said that someone either took them or you mustve taken them out... that sucks.

Instigatr

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
New Milford, NJ
That blows. Diablo - just from a $ point of view, offer a one time "no questions asked" return plea. You never know what might happen.

These things will turn up somewhere. Someone's local trail will have em someday. Everyone keep a lookout!

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
you should lock them up somehow with out messing up the frequency with metal. who ever stole is a douche bag. if that person shows up at diablo that took the transmitters i will get two water park whale walkers to stalk them the whole day and hit on them. then they will body slam them repeatedly if they turn them down. THen we will tar and feather them

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
That really is quite disappointing.... To think some people find it funny and cool to steal something and truely believe themselves to be hot $#%@ and Awesome because now they have their own timing system in their back yard.. Really is quite sad when you think about it..

KPOP

Chimp
Mar 19, 2008
soon to be california
you guys should ask the lifties... I know for fact when I was a liftie everytime they would find something cool or anything in general theyd either put it in the lift shack till someone asks for it, or they put there and if no one asks for it for long time they will most likely take it for themselves...its just a suggestion, maybe someone that had the stop watch lost it and the lifties ended up finding it idk what theyd do with it but they would prob take it, id say keep an eye on em... more like spy on them...

IAMAPRO

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Sounds like it might be an act of mischeif more than intentions to use the system, IDK, just a thought.

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
has there been any word about the stolen goods? are we not going to have the luxury of the freelap next season?

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
has there been any word about the stolen goods? are we not going to have the luxury of the freelap next season?
No worries, Freelap will definately return next season and there is a plan in place to prevent theft.

In addition, the IX course will be 100% complete and will continue to the very base of the mountain. IX will also be getting an 'automated' timing system where your times will appear at a kiosk in the store, as well as our website automatically. You'll be able to track your best times, average speed, view the best times on the course by day, week, year and compare your times against other riders. There will be an interactive portion of our site devoted to IndyCross and each rider will get a unique profile that will host their data. Best of all, this service will cost only $10 for the entire season and the user-chips will also be used to time our IndyCross events for next year.

Last edited:

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
well, i guess you guys are on your game. thanks for the update. looks like ill be buying the freelap for sure!

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
so you are selling the chips for $10, or renting them for $10 for the season?
Chips will be sold at approximately $10 per chip which will be our cost, no markup. The new system will be the first program of this kind in a mtb park environment and the developers are working verly closely with us to create an amazing system, while keeping costs to a minimum.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Chips will be sold at approximately $10 per chip which will be our cost, no markup. The new system will be the first program of this kind in a mtb park environment and the developers are working verly closely with us to create an amazing system, while keeping costs to a minimum.
hmm interesting.
have they shown you what type of "carrier" the chip will reside in?
obviously its not going to be like the watches, but is it like the tags used by runners?

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
hmm interesting.
have they shown you what type of "carrier" the chip will reside in?
obviously its not going to be like the watches, but is it like the tags used by runners?
Exactly. The chip will be 1x1 and easily ziptied to your handlebars. The technology is already in place, we're working on the back-end programming to fully automate the timing system. There will be no buttons to press and all data will be immediately uploaded to the website in real-time.

One nice factor...If the chip is lost or damaged, the replacement cost is only $10 and the owner can simply re-register a new chip on their IX profile. More info in a month or so.

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
does that mean every one who bought a watch cant use it anymore?
Both the Freelap system and the new system will coexist on IX.

For year 1, the new system will only be on IX. IX will also have the Freelap system. You'll be able to see your times on your watch (if you already own one) or be able to view online (if you purchase a chip).

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Both the Freelap system and the new system will coexist on IX.

For year 1, the new system will only be on IX. IX will also have the Freelap system. You'll be able to see your times on your watch (if you already own one) or be able to view online (if you purchase a chip).
sweet! are the chips the things you see taped to peoples forks all the time ?