Quantcast

"freeride/DH/DJ" videos.... why so much crap music....?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
"freeride" videos.... why so much crap music....? (produced vids and random youtube stuff.)

yeah yeah, everyone's got their own taste. overload on rap-metal, pop-poser punk, and white boy reggae.

. . . . . makes me miss bmx videos like ANIMAL Dont Quit Your Day Job, and FBM Bar is Closed.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Don't get me started.... 99% of videos (bmx & mtb... but, mostly mtb) are filled with sh!t music.

Fitlife is a fairly recent one that I remember having some good tunes.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
simple solution:

1) press mute on the tv/dvd

2) press play on your home stereo system.

Problem solved.
Not for a video that has quality editing. The music should go with and enhance the feel of the video and the video should be edited in rhythm with the music. Your method would work for most vids, though, because all they do is just lay down video over a song.... without thinking about how it fits.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not for a video that has quality editing. The music should go with and enhance the feel of the video and the video should be edited in rhythm with the music. Your method would work for most vids, though, because all they do is just lay down video over a song.... without thinking about how it fits.
I was hoping someone wouldn't expose the caveat to my method! But yes, I totally agree. In a perfect world that wouldn't work at all, but in our world it works far too often.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Maybe...Just maybe people have a diffrent taste in music other then yourself.. I dont know thats my theory.
Of course everyone has their own taste in music.. but imo not all mtbers should use rise against and all that other emo bullsh1t in their vids. I can't stand it personally, it really drives me insane. Go look at mtb vids and see how many you can find that don't have any rise against in their soundtrack. For example when I went to clay porters "First" premiere at otter, I was expecting it to be something that just might not have any emo/rise against mainstream crap. What is the first song that comes on? Rise fvcking against! I almost threw up. When it all comes down to it, it's just a discrace to the sport.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
S&M's BMX Inferno has the best soundtrack ever - actually that sucker is one of my all time fav vids and it's west coast too which says a lot....haha. Like Cru says the music goes with the riding. Whenever I hear a certain song from that vid - I'll instantly remember the riding that went with it.

Intro...
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2945479202973202024&q=S&hl=en

Castillo...
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=520439200451407477&q=S&M+bmx+inferno&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Jason Ball w/ Joni Mitchell? f'n perfect...
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-1329751209494773046&q=S&hl=en

Little Devil's Seek And Destroy mix is great too - that BadLuck 13 section blew me away first time I saw it.

T-1's vid had a good soundtrack - I think it was really cool w/ Taj and some other riders playing some of the music. Plus I could listen to modern country and enjoy watching Ruben.

From what I remember, Square-One vids always has some good tunes - same w/ the BASE Brooklyn's releases - cool with some of the hip-hop in them - went along with the NYC street feel.

I think you can't go wrong w/ the Props vids and the "Props Rock" - I'll throw them on while working in the shop and listen to that as I don't have a stereo in there at the Props vids last a while. I think they used to have a better mix before they got so big - I'm pretty sure everything has to be legal on their DVD's now.

I found this link trying to think what was on some vids: http://www.quis.cc/bmxmusic/

IDK, most of the soundtracks on those vids are pretty solid. MTB vids on the other hand - holy sh1t.... anyone remember the Don Hampton HARDCORE ones? Those almost hurt to listen too.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
proper mix of indie, garage, old school hip hop, funk, oldies maybe, lil bit of old school punk (surf punk fo sho)

that's the ideal video. joe cox has some cool stuff. same with lotek.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I agree. Though it can be cool to notice how music can tend to work well and even fit parts.

Has anyone seen Sprung 5? That and
are some of my favorite movies because of the music.

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
In going with cru's theme, if anyone can find Dead Sailor out there in the internet, they get rep+ x1000. I loved that video, but haven't seen it for a long time.

Usually the ridebmx videos have good soundtracks, Etnies Grounded had a great soundtrack.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
In my opinion it's just simply that bikes and bmx in general have become way more mainstream than it was in say throughout the 90's. Back then it was sort of rebel status to ride or skate, therefor you rode and listened to rebel music. But now, the "cool" thing to do is ride so you get that mix of new age, half punk half pop s**t music cluttering the airwaves. I guess it's cool if the newer younger riders have some of the new popular sounds in there vids because it's what they're listening to. Like said before, if the music matches the riding and riding style, it usually makes for a good vid.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Nobody, repeat, NOBODY has better editing with music skillz than Jon Holland and Ty Evans. Watch a montage in any Transworld Skate vid, and you will see why. They have done countless mind blowing edits to every kind of music. Unfycking real. Music variety is where it's at. You can never please everybody. Check the link below.

Modus Operandi montage

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
i guess its because popular songs and such require more rights to them. major record labels charge more if the song is more popular. so, to have a really popular song in a video that your gonna sell, you either need to do it illegally or buy the rights.

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
really? is a thread on this required? just cause its not mainstream, doesnt mean its bad. and hey, if you dont listen to mainstream, congrats. but its called Personal Preference. how do you know certain riders dont like it?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
hell yeah. bmx inferno is one of the all time best.

S&M's BMX Inferno has the best soundtrack ever - actually that sucker is one of my all time fav vids and it's west coast too which says a lot....haha. Like Cru says the music goes with the riding. Whenever I hear a certain song from that vid - I'll instantly remember the riding that went with it.

Intro...
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2945479202973202024&q=S&hl=en

Castillo...
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=520439200451407477&q=S&M+bmx+inferno&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Jason Ball w/ Joni Mitchell? f'n perfect...
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-1329751209494773046&q=S&hl=en

Little Devil's Seek And Destroy mix is great too - that BadLuck 13 section blew me away first time I saw it.

T-1's vid had a good soundtrack - I think it was really cool w/ Taj and some other riders playing some of the music. Plus I could listen to modern country and enjoy watching Ruben.

From what I remember, Square-One vids always has some good tunes - same w/ the BASE Brooklyn's releases - cool with some of the hip-hop in them - went along with the NYC street feel.

I think you can't go wrong w/ the Props vids and the "Props Rock" - I'll throw them on while working in the shop and listen to that as I don't have a stereo in there at the Props vids last a while. I think they used to have a better mix before they got so big - I'm pretty sure everything has to be legal on their DVD's now.

I found this link trying to think what was on some vids: http://www.quis.cc/bmxmusic/

IDK, most of the soundtracks on those vids are pretty solid. MTB vids on the other hand - holy sh1t.... anyone remember the Don Hampton HARDCORE ones? Those almost hurt to listen too.

Last edited:

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
really? is a thread on this required? just cause its not mainstream, doesnt mean its bad. and hey, if you dont listen to mainstream, congrats. but its called Personal Preference. how do you know certain riders dont like it?
when I see today's videos I'd rather say, it's called Marketing

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Seek and Destroy, Home of the Brave, Albert Street, and Domination. Personal favorites, good music, not the most amazing videos of all times, but I watched those at least once a week from the end of HS through College and every time I couldn't wait to go out and ride afterwards. I was just looking at all of my videos, I have over 100 from about 96-present but many are on VHS and I haven't watched them in years. I gotta get VCR that I can dub on to DVDs so I can get back to my roots ;-)