Quantcast

? FreeRide DJ (xc) Frame out there?

poguemothoin

Chimp
Aug 23, 2004
santa cruz california
Hey

Dilema.

I've been riding some (12) years hardtail xc and love it. Last 3 years exclusively on my Spot single speed, even though my buddies were migrating to FR. So now I added a big 45lb beast to my garage and love it. Started Djs and drops etc.

Now I want a DJ/FR hardtail single speed.

Do I swap out the Spot frame? or do I buy another bike?

The Spot's great on single track but doesnt inspire me as far as it gussets and cross sections for jumps. Is it possible to replace the Spot with a frame that will still be a good enough xc single speed but also good for DJ n FR, (versatile but still simple). Will I be happy? Will I miss the Spot?

One buddie has a Banshee Scatch and it has a pretty steep steerer for my liking (as of now). I havent riden it on the trails.

However, There must be something out there. Any ideas? Is it too much of a compromise or is there something that satisfies both disciplines adequately.

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
I've seen alot of people buy an Azonic Steelhead for xc as well as dirtjumping and it looks like a great frame for really cheap. Mine is coming this week. Yay.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I vote for the Steelhead if you can deal with the weight. If you want something lighter - Evil DOC/Sovereign, Peyto, Dekerf are some other options.

-rob in NY

WV Hippy

Chimp
May 20, 2004
KEEP THE SPOT!!! It's not to late is it, you didn't do anything rash did you? Good! That was close. For future reference you dont get rid of a bike unless you really have to. (late rent, friend with no bike, need the money for another bike etc.) It is perfectly exceptable to get another bike if you're pretty sure you're gonna ride it. I like my steelhead. It weighs about as much as a 20" freestyle bike (I quit weighing my bikes). I'm not exactly an expert in dirt jumping but I like the headangle on the steelhead. I set mine up with 24" wheels and a Dirt Jumper 1. A 6 inch disk and a V brake in the back are plenty. I wanted a bike I could practice technical skills on, and it seems to be perfect for that.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
check out a sinister ridge. perfect for what your talking about. still xc able but makles a great dj/ freeride bike. check out sinisterbikes.com