Quantcast

Freeride in Oregon and Washington

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Hey guys, my friend and I are going on a freeride road trip this summer starting in Mammoth and ending in Canada. We want to ride in Oregon and Washington, but don't know any spots. If you locals could give us some tips that would be cool. I ride a Enruro SX, and he rides a Rockhopper tricked out for freeride. We're mainly looking to ride the ski resorts, but if there is better stuff, thats cool too. Thanks guys. :thumb:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Falls City, OR and SST (South Sea-Tac) I've heard are very good, though I've never been there myself (plan to soon though). Snakeonia, Hidden Dragon, etc... in Bellingham is tons of fun but pretty raw and a lot of up for how much down there is. It's legal; you just have to find the right entrance. Good luck with that. The North Shore is excellent with a wide variety of trails. I also really like Woodlot near Mission BC. It's tough to get up but the trails are smooth with well built stunts. And you could probably end your trip with Whistler for some nice chair-lift action.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
i know freeride has a super wide-open definition of itself...but sst is not freeride :) its downhill dirtjumping :P

when are you going to be coming through washington/bc? im sure we can arrange a tourguide thing if you want.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Be sure to ride Post Canyon, I'm sure one of us will be able to show you around. And Ski Bowl should be open too if you want some dh runs, hopefully their course will be good this summer.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
PsychO!1 said:
The web site says $5-$7....sounds pretty reasonable to me. Unless the price has gone up.

tim (the guy responsible for chuck/huck wagon) was charging 7-10 bucks per ride last season. I can get 4 runs in at seymour before I get tired...thats 40ish bucks to do 4 runs...its cheaper for me to ride whistler :)

seand said:
tim (the guy responsible for chuck/huck wagon) was charging 7-10 bucks per ride last season. I can get 4 runs in at seymour before I get tired...thats 40ish bucks to do 4 runs...its cheaper for me to ride whistler :)
I understand that it is possible to spend some coin for a FULL day of gravity....I just thought it was a FAIR price for the shuttle service.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
seand said:
That is true, but..... if you dont have the ability to shuttle yourself it would be worth it. Ive only done 2 runs up there... CBC to the bottom is a long run.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
depending who i am riding with..

we usually do cbc->cscrew->neds...back up
cbc->cscrew->pingu->pangor->slash->empress...back up
cbc->dirty diapers->dales->pingu->boogey->empress...back up
cscrew->pingu->upper boogey->lower pangor->slash->empress reroute...to the pub :)

i guess it would be worth it..but we always pick people up on the way up if they need a lift and others do the same. but to be sure you have a ride up, i suppose Tim's wagon is the best bet :P

mtbzone.com

Chimp
Jul 10, 2003
Bend, Oregon
Post Canyon - Hood River
Fall City - outside of Salem (call Santiam Cycle)
Willamette Pass - Gondola!
Bend - Mtn-X course, step-down ditch gap, path gaps, double rock drops, small/med hucks, bonzai, various kicker jumps....just gotta know where to find them (info@mtbzone.com)

M. Albright

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
oh man, bend has some awesome riding!

it is the rock climbing mecca because of the natural formation of the land and the high desert thing its got going on...sorta like utah...like rampage :)