Quantcast

Freeride Park in Mexico? Any interest?

JPHeredia

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
How many of you would be interested in a Bike Park in Mexico?
Would you make it part of your "to do list" if it was truly worth it?
(Meaning excellent XC, AM, and DH course, scenery, food, experience, races, etc.)
Lets say that I love this sport and it has always been my dream to take it to the next level here in Mexico.

Bottom line: If we build it, would you come?

P.S. Honest comments would be appreciated

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I like the idea. Some things to think about.

Climate: If its too depressingly hot, no one will want to ride. Look at Bootleg Canyon, no one goes there in the summer. It might mean Mexico would make an excellent Winter destination to escape the cold though.

Geography and infrastructure. Do you have a location with enough amenities and a good amount of elevation gain? A lot of places have one, but not the other.

JPHeredia

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Climate... this is not cactus mexico, this is in the middle of the mountains, conifers everywhere and it never exceeds 80f (where im thinking), and even though it doesnt rain during the winter, it can get cold (around 40f, although rarely under 35)
Elevation: It is not a problem, where i ride i can go way over 4000ft difference.
Infrastructure would be an issue, since it would have to be build from scratch, but it is not impossible.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
JPHeredia said:
Climate... this is not cactus mexico, this is in the middle of the mountains, conifers everywhere and it never exceeds 80f (where im thinking), and even though it doesnt rain during the winter, it can get cold (around 40f, although rarely under 35)
Elevation: It is not a problem, where i ride i can go way over 4000ft difference.
Infrastructure would be an issue, since it would have to be build from scratch, but it is not impossible.
Kinda curious where exactly you had in mind? What province?

When I said infrastructure I meant like hotels, camping, resturants, etc. too, not just chairlift/ski resort kinda infrastructure.

One thing where you have a huge advantage in Mexico over the U.S. is land management regulation and liability law. You aren't nearly as restricted, which is awesome.

Good luck man, I'm pretty interested on hearing how this goes.:)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
JPHeredia said:
Given the BS involving Northstar, I think a bike only park would attract a lot of riders...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Slugman said:
Given the BS involving mexican authorities, I think there will be a lot of people very wary about going...
what's the BS?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
dump said:
what's the BS?
Bribes and theft... by the police.

Personal experience with the police/ authorities in Mexico has been less than ideal... you tend to have a higher percentage of 'bad apples' than you do in the USA. My wife works in El Paso, and goes to Juarez Mexico a lot to report on stories. They have to bring bride money, know to not wear nice jewelry, and only take the worst equipment when they go there.

I've heard plenty of bad stories from both sides of the border (in other words it's not just a bunch of scared white people telling this to me) about the police.

So what will happen when they figure out that a bunch of people with bike that cost thousands of dollars are coming into the country?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Slugman said:
So what will happen when they figure out that a bunch of people with bike that cost thousands of dollars are coming into the country?
word. not to mention i would not even think about going until i know that there is some quality, reputable health care in close proximity to the mountain.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
I don't know where this guy plans to build the park, but there are some places where people is very decent, people live in small places where they don;t have to close the door, i think El Paso and most of the cities next to the US are a bad example, although you see the same **** in the center and in the south of the country.
Anyways, do you think lift chairs are essential for the bike park?

JPHeredia

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Police: Mexico is indeed corrupt, I will not argue that. But here a cop will not get close to you unless you do something stupid. The north of Mexico is by far the most corrupt due to drug trade and all those issues. About bikes being worth thousands of dollars... how much are cars worth? Jewelry?
Health: There are excellent hospitals about 30 minutes away, and this would be considered in the park itself.
I was thinking of building near (30minutes from downtown) Cuernavaca Morelos, a city with every single need one can have. Plus being one of the best places to learn Spanish in the whole country, which mean that there is no way you don’t see an American every time you go down town.
I would really appreciate it if no one takes this personally, but some times is good to see outside the box. To generalize the situation, geographically, politically, and all those aspects is like using Kansas and thinking the whole US is like that; or using Hollywood, San Francisco or Alabama for that matter. Don’t think that because the door is somewhat crooked, the living room will be the same way, have hope.
I live in the US, I grew up in Cuernavaca, moved to study high school there (Ill be a senior next year). I love mtbs, and building this park is my dream, I have an opportunity to do it now, and I might take it.
So forget about Narcos getting into this. IMBA, and Sponsors might, but that is about it.
Sorry if its too long, but I had to answer all those things.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Not trying to be a downer about the idea, just bringing up some of the concerns that might be voiced about it.

I have to admit that my experience has been limited to border cities... so I'd be thrilled to see what else Mexico has to offer.