Quantcast

FreeRide shin/knee pads?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Well, I was thinking I am really liking the drops and more tech stuff like at Snowshoe, (and on our new trail) and was thinking about getting a set of knee/shin pads, and wanted to know what to look for.

I have looked at some Fox models that we have in the shop, and shuffled through some catalogs in the shop to look at others like 661, and since I don't want to be left out, and more importantly don't want to get hurt.

I wanted to know if you have them:
1 which ones you have
2 if you like them
3 and what I should look for when buying my own.
Since most of them fit similar, do I want them with the hard plastic on the outside, or the soft ones?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The only knee-shin pads I've ever really liked were the old Fox 911 guards. They are comfy, and judging from all the gashes in the plastic, they have saved my legs from lots of really bad pain.

I've tried on many other ones - the new ones from Fox, 661, etc but I haven't found any that I found comfortable yet. I haven't tried Dianese because no shops around here carry them, and I don't want to mailorder them without trying them on first.

I'd say try on as many as you can, and decide which ones are comfortable. Then, decide between the comfortable ones based on what other people say as far as durability, fit, etc.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Well, I was thinking I am really liking the drops and more tech stuff like at Snowshoe, (and on our new trail) and was thinking about getting a set of knee/shin pads, and wanted to know what to look for.

I have looked at some Fox models that we have in the shop, and shuffled through some catalogs in the shop to look at others like 661, and since I don't want to be left out, and more importantly don't want to get hurt.

1 which ones you have RockGardn Knee/Shin
2 if you like them Luv 'em. Saved my ass more times than I care to count.
3 and what I should look for when buying my own. Comfort.
Since most of them fit similar, do I want them with the hard plastic on the outside, or the soft ones?
If you ride flats, it would be prudent to get ones with the hard plastic on top of the pads themselves...pedals being one thing that can turn your shins into hamburger...Also, make sure you know your tolerance for having your legs be hot. The RockGardn ones I run are warmer than some of the racer-boi models, but I crash hard, so it's worth it for me. Then again, I only do races and lift accessed riding with them (everything else is sans pads...) so it's not a big issue. If you're going to be doing hike-a-bikes or a lot of climbing make sure you get ones that are a bit lighter weight or grab a big camelback to stow them in until you get to the trailhead.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
I recently picked up some Race Face ones that I really like. Had a pair of Rock Garden that were very uncfortable and didn't stay in place and a pair of Old Nukeproof ones which stayed in place but were very hot.
The Race Face ones seem to fit my leg quite well and look pretty durable.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I like the ones with a flexable plastic gaurd on the knee/shin area. Also make sure they fit tight and have a strap above the knee. I had a pair that didn't and they would just get moved around in a crash.

Azonic, fox, 661, rockgardn, they all make nice ones.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I've been rocking the Pro-Tec BMX Kneepads:

By far the best knee protection that I've seen and definitely the most comfortable set of pads I've ever worn. They never move and they pedal well. I've been riding clipless on my dh bike, though so I don't worry about my shins as much. I think I'll still wear them if I switch back to flats.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I've been rocking the Pro-Tec BMX Kneepads:

By far the best knee protection that I've seen and definitely the most comfortable set of pads I've ever worn. They never move and they pedal well. I've been riding clipless on my dh bike, though so I don't worry about my shins as much. I think I'll still wear them if I switch back to flats.

I am not sure I want to switch to flats (I have been wearing clipless for so long) which pedals are you using for DH'ing that are clipless?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have used 3 different types.

1- Older Fox 911s (lycra sleeve with plastic pads on the outside). These fit me great and stayed in place, but were hot.

2 - 661 2x4 & 4x4. These work well, but aren't hard padding. They stay in place and breathe pretty well. I used these for XC & freeriding.

3 - 661 Race arm & leg. They have a thick neoprene sleeve that velcros and hard plastic cups on the outside. I use these for DHing and they are good. They stay in place but are hot.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I wear some Dainese that I bought from tonyhawk. They are light and breat well, but on long rides, with the way I sweat, they slip a bit and rub against my knees and that isn't good. I mean they are their to protect, not hurt right?

I wouldn't mind getting some of those 661 veggie wrap knee pads, because that's really were I seem to need the protection - not on my shins.

maybe next spring or something.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I use 661's (the race, not the race lite) and like them a lot.
MY 661 knee/shin guards moved on my big time this weekend (as did my 661 pressure suit...DOH!).

I am thinking of goiong RockGrdn in both directions.

Not to hijack this thread, but anyone use/like the RockGrdn Flack Jacket?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
MY 661 knee/shin guards moved on my big time this weekend (as did my 661 pressure suit...DOH!).

I am thinking of goiong RockGrdn in both directions.

Not to hijack this thread, but anyone use/like the RockGrdn Flack Jacket?
Yes. I wear the 2xl size and have to leave the forearm/elbow piece disconnected cause I'm Monkeyman apparently.... But that's not a big issue ...it actually works better for me that way.

I absolutely love my jacket. It's a little warmer than my old Azonic, but it's withstood many a tumble of 2 seasons and now I'm going to purchase a new one for next season. Not that heat really builds up while doing 15mph in the woods....but what ev. It stays in place real nice too!!

Did I mention I love it??....I love it!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Race Face Rally FR.
Nice fit and breathability and excellent protection for the most part.
+coverage all the way down to the ankle
+wraparound knee coverage, protects your knee from the frame in "adverse" situations

-The one time they've let me down is on impacts that pull the knee cover down from above (rare), it acts like a dirt scoop.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Yes. I wear the 2xl size and have to leave the forearm/elbow piece disconnected cause I'm Monkeyman apparently.... But that's not a big issue ...it actually works better for me that way.

I absolutely love my jacket. It's a little warmer than my old Azonic, but it's withstood many a tumble of 2 seasons and now I'm going to purchase a new one for next season. Not that heat really builds up while doing 15mph in the woods....but what ev. It stays in place real nice too!!

Did I mention I love it??....I love it!
2XL??? do they run small? I was going for a large but maybe I better supersize my order?!

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Oh....sorry....I forgot to include dimensions! :banghead:

6'7" 260lbs

That's why. Biggest they got is perfect for me!! :banana: :busted:
'Bout the same size as Secret Squirrel and I have the older model Flak Jacket. Fits really well, but it gets warm. After going over the bars and landing on my back in the rocks a couple years ago I won't go out on the big bike without it, even if it's hot.

The newer model than what I have is longer in the torso, the spine plates come down closer to the tailbone. The sleeves are also detatchable, which would be nice.

I have Roach leg armor, same as the Raceface Rally FR. Fits well, and for the most part stays in place. (Took a spill at Whistler and split my knee open when the pad had slipped, but that is the only time I've had that happen.)

I recently picked up some Race Face ones that I really like. Had a pair of Rock Garden that were very uncfortable and didn't stay in place and a pair of Old Nukeproof ones which stayed in place but were very hot.
The Race Face ones seem to fit my leg quite well and look pretty durable.
the only problem with the raceface ones, is the fact that the thread that holds the straps on is not double stiched, so I already had one fall of, and I dont use them that much. but you can just take them to a shoe repairsman, and have them sewn back together.:banghead:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
1 which ones you have
2 if you like them
3 and what I should look for when buying my own.
I currently use the 661 race. They do tend to be hot in the warmer months, but I'd rather be hot and well protected then cooler and banged up. They have taken some fairly hard direct hits on granite, and there's no cracks in 'em.

Whatever brand/model you choose, I suggest getting a model with the elastic sleeve that goes around the back of your knee - not just a strap. The strap only models tend to slide/move often during a ride, from my experiences.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
rockgrdn would be our best chose, The fit great if you have big calfs but if not they are designed to fite everyone. They are comfy and use a honeycomp hardshell design for protection. They are out great, you can feel air through them when you are riding. The new o7 stull will be great and they have just knee guards if you want.