Quantcast

Freeride vs downhill

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I hear things like "this product is designed for free ride" or this "downhill bike" that "freeride" bike.

I mean I get the fundamental difference between a XC bike and a down hill bike. I get the difference between a bike that is flat out a down hill bike and one that is designed more for all mountain and of course one designed for XC. But what the hell is the difference between freeriding and downhilling?

I always just figured you went out and rode?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Freeride = wood features
Downhill = gravity racing

You can do both with any bike, some are just better than others.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Freeride = wood features
Downhill = gravity racing

You can do both with any bike, some are just better than others.
That was kinda what I was figuring, I mean don't both types of riding put similar stresses on components and stuff?

Or are freeride components and bikes designed with slower speeds and smoother styles in mind?

I guess I just don't get it, I figure a bike is a bike and you ride it where you want and how you want and go as fast as you can?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Freeride - Typically steeper head tube angle (65-67), higher bottom bracket, stronger frames, sometimes front der compatible, 160 to 200 travel, single or dual crown fork
its more designed to ride the nasty stuff, take big hits and big crashes, and possibly pedal back up to the top.

Downhill - typically slacker head angle (62-66), low BB for cornering, light frames, never run a FD, 190-250 travel, dual crown fork.
focused on being light and pedalling efficient, longer and slacker for stability.

main difference comes down to geometry typically for a true FR or DH bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
geometry, weight, strength, and labeling separate the bikes.

Generally freeride trails are slower, tighter, and have more features vs. DH which is usually natural terrain, sometimes with features.

Freeriding gets a bad rap but to me it's just DHing without the race, ie just for fun.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Freeride - Typically steeper head tube angle (65-67), higher bottom bracket, stronger frames, sometimes front der compatible, 160 to 200 travel, single or dual crown fork
its more designed to ride the nasty stuff, take big hits and big crashes, and possibly pedal back up to the top.

Downhill - typically slacker head angle (62-66), low BB for cornering, light frames, never run a FD, 190-250 travel, dual crown fork.
focused on being light and pedalling efficient, longer and slacker for stability.

there you go folks, that should about wrap it up

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
that, and the bike and parts spec is a little burlier, meant to handle the abuse of drops to flat, falling off 10' high skinnies, and general all round silliness. I'd say you alluded to it in the rest of your post.

I would say that DH riding is typically done at at a resort or shuttled runs that have no climbing. If you break something, it's not too big a deal to walk down and get it fixed, so you can focus on making your bike lighter. I think freeriding is a similar style of riding, but it is done more in locations where you have to hike/bike and the features and stunts aren't as well maintained as a heavily-used DH track. The bikes need to be more "polyvalent" (not sure that's a word in english, but whatever, you guys are smart, you'll figure it out!), and tougher. That's how I've explained the difference to myself, and it seems to work for me. of course, you can use a DH bike for freeriding, and vice versa. they're just not "purpose built" and you'll have to adapt and replace things as they break or you discover you don't like them...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
God knows there's never been a drop with a flat landing on a dh race course that's abusive. And my 7" travel bike certainly is never faster on some trails than my dh bike. Wood features? Is dirt merchant downhilling or freeriding?

Let me clear some things up. The following falls strictly into freeriding territory:

Camelback: don't have one on? You may be racing and don't even know it. This must be worn when freeriding. You might need a drink in the middle of that 2x4 you're riding halfway accross that's sitting in the middle of the trail 1 foot off the ground......and then what? In 1999 Richey Schley got stuck on a teeter totter that wouldn't drop for a week. Fortunately he had his. Wear it.

Bowling ball shaped giro helmet: Preferably flat black. Looks best with sunglasses

Body armor: Must be worn prominently. Don't you dare cover that up with a jersey, somebody might ask you what you placed at the end of the day......and you're a soul rider dammit.

Platform pedals: this could go either way, but firmly in the freeride zone. It's tough to click back in mid air after that sick no footer

Apparel: in general this must be from canada. Mace, sombrio, raceface/roach....you've seen the vids. Now live 'em

DH RACING:

Protection: That leatt brace shows just how seriously you take safety. It's so safe that it will protect those shins and elbows you leave uncovered because you're so fast, you ONLY fall on your head. That's just how sick you really are. DH racing is the new breakdancing.

Helmet: You used to be turned away at registration if you didn't have a custom painted TLD D2. But with the latest trend of realizing you only fall on your head, other companies have stepped up with edgy graphics that will allow you to race. Whatever you do get that visor up as high as you can. Failing to do so only makes a statement about your moral character.....and you will be penalized.

Apparel: You can't wear clothes, everything you own is now a 'kit'. That means gloves too mister. Don't you dare walk out of the house with blue gloves and a red pair of shorts. You will be held back at the starting line until this is remedied.

General conversation on the hill: Share those 'secret' lines you discovered. You know, the ones that you have to almost come to a complete stop to get to, sliding wildly through the inside of a turn over a bunch of uncleared ground cover that gets into your spokes and derailleur slowing you down even more. Forget that hardpacked perfectly shaped berm right over there that you can rocket out of. That's for people who lack your vision. You may realize the guy in the split behind you just got closer, but it's only because he was curious about that sweet line he saw you come to a stop to get into.

Bike setup: Only the newest will do. That sick custom tuned boxxer is going to help you absolutely lay waste to the sport class this year. But you're a racer. You NEED it. Those freeriders just don't understand the minute intricacies of proper bike setup. It might help you finally clear that bike length long double at the end of the course this year. Time is much better spent figuring out which frame you need based on what's going on in the WC circuit this year than learning how to move your bike through a corner faster. Focus your energy appropriately....on where your credit card goes, not where your front wheel needs to go.

I hope that helps some.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Kidwoo, you forgot that downhillers can only evaluate a bike from pictures on the internet - determining its flexibility, weight, and color choices. And that they like to debate skin suits.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Does this thread even need to exist? Its been argued on mtbr tons of times. "Hey, can I race DH on this XX type bike even though its freeride?"

Answer #1 "you should buy whatever bike Sam Hill is riding"
Answer #2 "looks flexy"
Answer #3 "yes but you would be faster on XX bike"

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Does this thread even need to exist? Its been argued on mtbr tons of times. "Hey, can I race DH on this XX type bike even though its freeride?"

Answer #1 "you should buy whatever bike Sam Hill is riding"
Answer #2 "looks flexy"
Answer #3 "yes but you would be faster on XX bike"
I don't know what MTBR is.

I don't personally see the big reason that it is really all that different. I perfer kidwoo's answer the best.

In all reality what brought this on was someone saying something about a tire being designed fro freeride in a thread I read, vs downhill....I thought Gee really, what is next tires designed for women and tires designed for men?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I perfer kidwoo's answer the best.
His answer was awesome. I've seen some Cat 2 racers obsess over saving 40 grams, then get smoked by a guy on a POS:rofl:

And how hard is it to wear a shirt over your armor? You could still look cool if it was a PBR t-shirt.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Kidwoo = awesome.

-KT
With the band of brothers click of douchey smart guys around this site, the 'Woo always seems to stay on top of the scene without the douche component - it is refreshing. (who's feelin' guilty? - go ahead, reply! DO IT!)

oh, and 'TeeHee, giggle giggle'

My bike is an old and heavy FR bike and I suck, but Im still out front, muahahah (what does that say about you, oh vain ones... ((WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HUCK?)))))))))

Modnar Hoopla!! YAY!