Quantcast

freeriding in cville???

coob0220

Chimp
Sep 19, 2004
im in a glass case of emotion
does anybody in chralottesville va freeride???? it semms like everyone is a hard tail freak and doesnt get big bike riding. if theres anybody out there thats up for building stunts or just finding the biggest local mountain, let me know cause i cant find anybody to ride with

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Depending on where you live (in or near C'ville) my friends and i are building stunts down here in Buena Vista. We've got permission from the land owner, and while it's small(in altitude), there's unlimited places to build. COme on down sometime!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
isnt there a huge group of riders from Charlottesville? All the guys that showed up to the 'Shed race, and that one dude that won? Weren't they the ones that wouldnt shuttle because they wanted to pedal back up?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
BigMike said:
Weren't they the ones that wouldnt shuttle because they wanted to pedal back up?
Wow, those guys are beast. I dont know if I would want to climb back up that. It would take forever and be a kick in the :nuts:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
rpk1988 said:
Wow, those guys are beast. I dont know if I would want to climb back up that. It would take forever and be a kick in the :nuts:

Yeah, those guys were seriously beast. They didn't have any pads on either. the only one I remember was the black dude riding a Canondale who ended up winning the race. He was an AMAZING rider!

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
rpk1988 said:
what r u talking about when we rode E we did ride our bikes back up we didnt have a shuttle then we only shuttled the pipeline.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
bballboy388 said:
what r u talking about when we rode E we did ride our bikes back up we didnt have a shuttle then we only shuttled the pipeline.
Yea but we walked/rode back up the road. Not up the whole freakin hill. E is a very steep climb. I dont even remember us being on a trail. :D

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
BigMike said:
Yeah, those guys were seriously beast. They didn't have any pads on either. the only one I remember was the black dude riding a Canondale who ended up winning the race. He was an AMAZING rider!
Ha! You're talking about Aaron from Winchester. He's got skillz for sure! Great guy too.

Honestly, there isn't any "freeriding" in C'ville. And there's minimal fun urban stuff to ride. The only time I ride my DH bike is when I travel to a lift access mountain. I don't see a reason why anything around here requires a big bike.

I've got my Cake and that's perfect for the area. If you loathe XC riding, I'd suggest getting a more urban/trials kind of bike; a DH pig is too much.

And we're not all Hardtail XC weenies, there is a good size group of us who can tear up the DH's on FS XC bikes faster than 99.9% of the guys on DH bikes. Ask Steve and whale about the Bunnice race :D

coob, as I said I do DH and love it, just not in C'ville. I don't see the point of getting the rig out here. But I do travel a bunch to Snowshoe to ride and hit the East coast Nationals, and will be taking some trips to Mountain Creek and P-kill this year. Hopefully Whistler too! And BTW, don't start building stunts on private land w/o the landowner's permission. It's just asking for trouble. From what I understand through CAMBC, Walnut Creek is open to building or adding some features to the trails, but not big freeride drops. I'll try to find more info on that if you'd like to help. Drop me a PM.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Aw hell I woulda roasted lots on my biggish bike if I hadn't snapped my chain, even with the uphills. I had some good lines and speed until SNAP.

Can't speak for Wilbur though.