Quantcast

Freeriding STILL not in the X-Games???!!

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!!

but no seriously, it did. whats with the bmx and skateboarding big air on the mega ramp? it seems we are going backwards with progression..same tricks, same stuff, just a fancier ramp

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
x-games didn't ruin skateboarding, marketing and mass merchandising did. at the dawn of skateboarding if you wanted one, you had to make it. not to accuse skate companies of ruining it, moreso white suburban kids with rich parents who see something on TV and want to do it. (not taking a digger at you jesse, its just the plain truth)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Since when is skateboarding "ruined"? Just because a bunch of people do it, doesn't mean you can't do it too.

If you can only do something YOU feel is underground, then you have bigger issues.

The X-Games has done a lot of good things for many sports, including getting Palmer off the couch more than once. I enjoy watching it and think it's one of the few multi-sport events where true talent is displayed.

Sure a lot of people who "could" compete don't, but there are a lot more that took Winter X to mean more than the Olympics. That's a huge statement.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Funny to hear so many kids didn't ride 20"ers back in the day. I'm 32 so that will give you a guage of the time I'm referenceing. But starting in elementary school, all of the kids in my neighborhood rode bmx bikes (none raced at that age) and would sneak out of our neighborhood to ride the one jump that was "too far from home". As we got older, we all still rode, not just the guys in my hood, but also the guys at school. Around 7th grade, lots of boys/guys turned "too cool" for bikes, but for all the years prior almost every guy in every class I was in, had a 20" and even at 7yrs old was bsing about who could jump or hop what.

Its strange for me to think of neighborhoods without packs of 7-13 year olds ridding around having the times of their lives gutter roosting, and catching air off piles of bricks and plywood. That was the age group I was talking about primarily. After middle school, yes finding guys to ride with was pretty much impossible. Out of my group of friends, I was only one of two that rode.

Maybe it's just a SoCal thing. But most of the boys in my hood also skated, and not like the kids you see to day hanging around the skatepark holding their boards over imaginary lines of slides and grinds, or walking accross croswalks etc. We skated or rode wherever we wanted to go, and had fun with whatever poped up along the way. I didn't mean to get off on a tangent, but now everyone has me wondering if I just found out that even though I thought my neighborhood and schools were kinda blan, maybe I had it a loooooot better than I ever imagined.

Chris

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
jimmydean said:
Since when is skateboarding "ruined"? Just because a bunch of people do it, doesn't mean you can't do it too.

If you can only do something YOU feel is underground, then you have bigger issues.
I was using the term "ruined" lightly. But when anyone can just go to the mall and buy into the "skateboarding look" you start to question whether or not the soul is there for everyone who does it. (this is also directed at the kids who see "punk" bands on MTV and go to hot topic and buy tight jeans and a DK shirt to play punk rock dress up)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
jonKranked said:
I was using the term "ruined" lightly. But when anyone can just go to the mall and buy into the "skateboarding look" you start to question whether or not the soul is there for everyone who does it. (this is also directed at the kids who see "punk" bands on MTV and go to hot topic and buy tight jeans and a DK shirt to play punk rock dress up)
I skated in pants I bought at Salvation Army and a 7-11 shirt while my buddy skated in tight jeans (I never understood how or why, but he was good) and a polo shirt. My group of friends (most of us had a sponsor of one form or another) didn't have a "look". We skated, that was all.

What about Nike having limited eddition SB shoes that are purchased by the same jackasses that buy Jordans as "bling"?

Because of these kids, a lot of public parks have been built and I would say that's for the better than the worse.

Vision Street Wear was funny though, I must say.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
jonKranked said:

i find that funny.
but that behaviour is not just of pre-teens. fat grown man every day go out and ride bikes dressed up as their favorite hero, in tight pink spandex, after watching them on tv. heck, they even spend thousands of bucks to ride the same bike!. it really doesnt get much more whorish than that.

that is a core part of biking, even more than in "kids who like to play rock dress up".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
jimmydean said:
I skated in pants I bought at Salvation Army and a 7-11 shirt while my buddy skated in tight jeans (I never understood how or why, but he was good) and a polo shirt. My group of friends (most of us had a sponsor of one form or another) didn't have a "look". We skated, that was all
that's the point a lot of these kids are missing.

jimmydean said:
Because of these kids, a lot of public parks have been built and I would say that's for the better than the worse.

very good point.

jimmydean said:
Vision Street Wear was funny though, I must say.

that was before my day, but i still remember it. :rofl:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
dhbuilder said:
how much longer are we supposed to wait ?
and what are we waiting for ?

i've been riding,racing and trailbuilding since 1985.
i personally think we've seen the sports heyday come and go with the days of tomac, furtado, overend, giove, herbold, lopes etc...
if you've been riding since '85 then you must remember how popular bmx was back then. yet, it basicly died completly before it came back to what it is now.

I predict mtn. biking stunt riding will do the same. look how much bmx stunt riding has changed in the last 25 years. surely mtn. biking will change in simalar fashion.

but yea, x-games. who needs 'em.

T3h1337r

Chimp
Sep 15, 2006
Nor Cal
It wasnt they felt it was not extreme enuf. WTF are you going to do. Bring utah or colorado, or whistler to the xgames locations. Unline bmx dirt, street, snowboarding, etc it cant be moved or created. I highly doubt they would hold a seperate segment for freeriding hundreds if not thousands of miles away from a major us city. And personally I dont think it should be done. The red bull series is enuf. The last thing we need is lamer x games to blow up mountain biking as well.

Yes, I was an x games fan when it started, but shish, enuf is enuf. now I see why they only hold the olympics every 4 years. Im sick of it. Fly out to utah or follow the red bull series on dish network. You will find it there.

(O and urban and dirtjumping is big on mtb, mostly in canada and europe tho, not in the states as much, bmx rules the states.)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
FYI, Red Bull Rampage is done. I think a few years ago, they had something about it on the news, but I don't think whole events were televised.

Obvious Reasons:
> Tiny population of mtbers compared to more mainstream sports.
> Very small amount of money in the sport.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
and that's just the way i like it.
and the way it needs to stay.

good post by the way.
you've hit the nail right on the head.

it's all about the mighty $$$ and the selling of product.
we don't have any of the former and no ability for the latter.
I agree. why ghey it all up by adding it to the X-Games. They added Snocross to the X-Games a few years back and it's honestly embarassing to the sport how the announcers talk and percieve things. Keep MTB'ing somewhat underground. It's better that way

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The real question isn't in why isn't MTB in the XGames. The real question is why do we care?
Very true. We don't need to provide ourselves with a superficial "validation" for our sport. It's better the way it is, a non-stressful way to enjoy the woods and have some fun.

p.s. Mountain biking sucks, don't try it.