Quantcast

freestyle (?) bike

G

gravity

ok, well i am stoked after finally going to a skatepark on my BMX. i'd never been to this park (camberwell) at all, and i was quite excited to find two linked bowls, several quarters and a funbox. i also do a bit of dirtjumping, and my current bike is a Haro Backtrail X2 with one-piece cranks. i would really love to do more urban/freestyle/whatever-it's-called riding, as i found it was relatively easy and a helluva lotta fun.

anyway, should i sell the Haro and buy a nice freestyle bike, or just upgrade the current bike?

there are a few probs with the Haro for this type of riding, namely the front brake (or lack thereof), the short stays (which mean that if i stick pegs on it my feet could easily hit the pegs when the pedals are all the way back) and the crappy cranks.

I was thinking of a Hoffman 900 or Kagy, cos i should be able to get em fairly cheap, but are there any other suggestions for a freestyle bike about $1000-1100 max (thats $500-550US)?

thanks

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
a different frame wont have enough of a difference in chainstay length to affect your feet hitting the pegs. your feet wont hit the pegs, trust me. some three piece would be a good idea (you'll probably bend the 1piece soon). i say go profile if ya upgrade the cranks. and if you really want front brakes you can use a brake plate if your fork doesn't have brake mounts. my suggestion for a new bike would be to call up trend and have em build you up a standard/s+m/solid/macneil/fbm.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by gravity
ok, well i am stoked after finally going to a skatepark on my BMX. i'd never been to this park (camberwell) at all, and i was quite excited to find two linked bowls, several quarters and a funbox. i also do a bit of dirtjumping, and my current bike is a Haro Backtrail X2 with one-piece cranks. i would really love to do more urban/freestyle/whatever-it's-called riding, as i found it was relatively easy and a helluva lotta fun.

anyway, should i sell the Haro and buy a nice freestyle bike, or just upgrade the current bike?

there are a few probs with the Haro for this type of riding, namely the front brake (or lack thereof), the short stays (which mean that if i stick pegs on it my feet could easily hit the pegs when the pedals are all the way back) and the crappy cranks.

I was thinking of a Hoffman 900 or Kagy, cos i should be able to get em fairly cheap, but are there any other suggestions for a freestyle bike about $1000-1100 max (thats $500-550US)?

thanks
I would go for the new one myself...you will end up with a better product and probably save money in the long run.....D

decion

Chimp
Oct 4, 2001
northbay
Check out Metal Bikes. I have had a KIZZ frame for a couple of months now with a S&M Pitchfork. NIce beefy 4130 chromo throughout, made in the USA, super thick 14mm dropouts. It is one of the most balanced feeling BMX bikes that I have ridden in a long time. I think Danscomp has had them for sale as complete bikes.

www.metalbikesbmx.com

G

gravity

Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk
......you'll probably bend the 1piece soon.....
actually the cranks aren't at the 180 degree positions they're meant to be at (in relation to each other), they're kinda 170/190. dey are straight as a poofter.

G

gravity

oh and thanks for the info guys. Ht_schmuk, where/who/what is trend? is that a US-based shop? im in Australia if you hadn't noticed my loke. anyway......are SingleX good? seen a few around. i think an S+M might be good, Standard are bloody hard to get hold of here apparently.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by gravity
oh and thanks for the info guys. Ht_schmuk, where/who/what is trend? is that a US-based shop? im in Australia if you hadn't noticed my loke. anyway......are SingleX good? seen a few around. i think an S+M might be good, Standard are bloody hard to get hold of here apparently.
Try ebay...you can post the ads here if you want and get opinions....D

G

gravity

Originally posted by BMXman

Try ebay...you can post the ads here if you want and get opinions....D
sorry thats out of the picture. im 15 (no credit card or online payment abilities) and my parents refuse to buy over the net. so its gotta be thru either the local trading post or a shop.

pot

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
waikato, New Zealand.
Youl get used to riding with pegs, your cranks sound munted though perhaps you should get a haro backtrail x3 or x4 as the have better cranks and a full cromo frame as well as being relatively easily available and cheaper in Australasia. As for the brakes if you really want to open your eyes take them off for a while, You will never ride the same again.