Quantcast

Freestyle Skiers?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well I was wondering if any one had any time or own a pair of Liberty Chopper Pro Twins. I love my 1080's but I found out yesterday at Okemo that next year I should look into a real freestyle ski because I hit one of the hip jump switch and took the back tip into the lip. ouch! I cracked my helmet and my goggles are trashed. So this is my ski of choice and was wondering if any one had any experience. I got a chance to use them for a few runs at Cannon mountain and they felt great on rails and a few jumps but I wanted to know if any one has them.

http://www.libertyskis.com/skis.htm#

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Bah i cant stand twin tips. I ride on x screams, i bent the tails up cus i fell to many times on switch landings. But really, trick skis suck for skiing.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
HAHAHA... so much for helping out the kid.
Question: by freestyle, do you mean park or the older meaning of "freestyle"?
'Cause if you're talking about bumps, they'll prob be ok. I personally, look for straight dumper bait, like the old 4Ss and rip on those. They're much better for the bumps than the newer twins.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pau11y said:
HAHAHA... so much for helping out the kid.
Question: by freestyle, do you mean park or the older meaning of "freestyle"?
'Cause if you're talking about bumps, they'll prob be ok. I personally, look for straight dumper bait, like the old 4Ss and rip on those. They're much better for the bumps than the newer twins.
You should sell 'em to the kid for $50. That's a good deal..... help a kid out. :D

-S.S.-

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Sorry about not being specific enough... I ment park(rails, step downs, step ups) oh and BTW S.S. I will be heading up to France over Spring Break, but you are right, I will be in the park.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
priceseliger14 said:
Sorry about not being specific enough... I ment park(rails, step downs, step ups) oh and BTW S.S. I will be heading up to France over Spring Break, but you are right, I will be in the park.
You're going to France and gonna go to the park??!? WTF??

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!

So where ya goin' in France? Les Trois Valees? Tignes? Chamonix??

-S.S.-

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Or one ski i really like are the Line Chronics. Any one ever used these. I have never been on a pair but I have a friend who has them but our boot sizes are to different to just switch for a run or two.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
priceseliger14 said:
Or one ski i really like are the Line Chronics. Any one ever used these. I have never been on a pair but I have a friend who has them but our boot sizes are to different to just switch for a run or two.
If you've never been on 'em how can you "really like" them?? :confused:

-S.S.-

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
SkaredShtles said:
"exept for the core"?? Dude, that's like 2/3 of what makes the ski what it is. Hell, maybe more.............

-S.S.-

HAHA, last time i checked k2 used a wood core.

Mostly its titanium now in race skis, dont really know about trick skis, id rather buy second hand GS skis and bend the tails up really... ;)

and whats this suposed to mean?

SkaredShtles said:
[Python Fake French]
Mind your own business!!
[/Python Fake French]

-S.S.-

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Just so we're clear..."freestlye" usually refers to bumps (aka moguls).

To answer your question, I've skiied on non-twins and hit stuff switch...so chances are it's not the ski that's holding you back. NOW, if you want a good ski that will let you ski outside of the park too, there is a lot out there, and even most "park specific" skis under the right skier makes a good all mountain, playful ski.

I've skied a lot of differnt skis and in my opinion the most solid all mountain, park, play ski I've been on was the Rossi Scratch FS. Good construction, not much edge chatter, able to tear it up in the bumps, really nice shape and still wide enough for pow.

Don't buy a ski off image, buy it off of performance. All of K2s stuff is pretty solid this year in my opinion, but I've always been biased to K2. My Aks are some of my favorite skis I've ever been on.

In the end don't be fooled, it's all the skier that makes a ski work. Not the other way around.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ACK....I was hitting the terrain park on my 15 year old skis, nice & short :rolleyes: at 203cm

I did notice I missing a few parts of the pieces when I loaded the skis in my truck

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Hopefully I can get off the east coast slopes and get up to Whistler in March, so I can actually start skiing, instead of ice skating. I am looking at the Rossignol Bandit B2s right now, for all around.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
DHanamal said:
Hopefully I can get off the east coast slopes and get up to Whistler in March, so I can actually start skiing, instead of ice skating. I am looking at the Rossignol Bandit B2s right now, for all around.
If things keep going like they are, you'll have a pleasant combo of ice *and* mud in Whistler...........

-S.S.-

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
DHanamal said:

dude, I just went to a little (1,050 vert ft) joint close to my house last night - snow was awesome - only one trail had icy spots!

anybody use/have those little 'snow blades' ?

like these

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
After I got out of high school and hung up my 201 and 198 race skis, I tried out some lines. I had some dragons and then some darksides. The cap construction on the darksides made them much more durable than the dragons, but they still never really impressed me. As much as I would have liked to stick to the smaller, "rider owned" company, they just can't compete with the big names. I've always been a Rossignol skier (7xk, 9s, 9x) and now I'm on some Scratch BC's. Forget what some people are saying about bending up some all mountain tails; it's not the same. Good twin tips will be as good for skiing all mountain as any other ski. 1080's have been considered top all mountain skis for several years now. Based on your story I assume you have an older pair, but the new pairs have a more pronounced twin tip and you shouldn't be getting caught up on them. If you like Salomon's I would stick with them.

As much as I like K2's offerings, I can never shake the "made in china" image of them. However, their park skis are a great value and would serve well as disposable skis (meaning that you know you're going to abuse them to death and get new skis in 2 years or so).

Skiers can be very brand loyal (because you get used to one brands feel) and I'll probably always look at Rossignols before any other brand, but the Scratches are very good skis. I've been beating on these BC's in the park and pipe for 2 years now with no complaints (except that at 188 they are too big for rails and almost too big for the pipe). The FS would be a better bet if you stick primarily to the park and want to stomp rails

I've never heard of liberty, but I would be weary of their reliability. If all you wanted them for is the park, then you should probably be familar with the types of abuse they will see.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Ive seen what kind of abuse the libertys can take. One of my friends is on their grass roots skis and just recieved a pair of choppers and his first day on them he did a cork 7 and on some DK rail a 270 on 270 off and that was the FIRST day. They seemed pretty promising. Neversummersnow, so what if im from texas, im not there anymore, im residing in NH for a while. The only reason for the back tips catching was because it was a hip going into a quarter pipe. so the lip got pretty close to vert pretty fast, but im not planning to hit again switch for a while to come.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
I got some Volant Machetes and Line 1260's. The twins suck for anything other then supertech and jumps. The machetes float all the way down, such an awesome feeling. Mind you, I havn't heli'd on the machetes yet, we have had bad snow this year here.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Yeah, Price is right, it's all the skis. I hear if you ski the new Armada's you'll throw cab 1080s like Tanner in your first day. Plus 450s onto rails happen with the push of a button.

ARE YOU FOR REAL? Its probably 90 percent skier 10 percent skis in the park. Greg Tuffelcantspell was notorious for ripping up Copper's pipe on two skis he found in the dumpster...they were different lengths and skis.

I'm not saying skis don't help, they definitly do. JUST DONT KID YOURSELF IT IS ALL SKIER! It's like saying the shoes are the reason MJ was so good. Shoes are a vital link between a player and the game, but it's not the reason he could do what he could do.

Get some skis that like a good pair of shoes, match you. Lines are solid in that they come from a great company that will warentee most anythiing and as long as you don't weigh too much ski pretty well anywhere (from my experience) Rossi is a great ski, a little heavier than the ultra-light lines but have a more solid feel, stiffer (read, better at speed/if you're bigger), less edge chatter/very damp feel etc. Salomon has a weird core that allows for a light ski but not quite as damp in hard snow (read more edge chatter) and a slightly more forgiving ski. Good shape for the whole mountain. K2s are all pretty solid, slightly stiffer less forgiving, but good all mountain chargers...

Look at any video, you'll see guys throwing down on most any ski...for years now.

I have bias to K2 because my dad skied them when I learned to ski when I was 5...so it's like engrained in me. Besides that, just go find some cheap skis with a turned up tail that fits and ski them till they break. That's when its time to get new skis.

(BTW, my mavericks had less of a twin then the old 1080s...and I NEVER caught my tail...)

All that said, I still say the best park/all mountain ski I've been on is the Scratch FS...but I'm glad that's not the only ski in my quiver...(i really want some spatulas btw..anybody?)

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
One more thing, the Head's are a bit heavy for my taste but a good ski...and Line's do struggle in crud...you gotta be strong or they deflect all over the place.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Jeff. im not saying the skis are doing it all... any ways I was just wondering what people think because i dont have enough money to buy anything. I had to buy a pair of slolem skis so im broke for a long while

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Just about all of the really good "Trick" skiers around here have K2's and I have yet to hear them complain one bit about them.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Well i dunno about race skis.

But... while it is 90% skier, if the skier doesnt like the skis its gunna suck.

For race skis each ski rides differently, so you cant just switch, or at least i cant.

E.G. I used to ski Elans, so if at the top of the race you put me on some rossi's i would of either fallen or lost the race... this is race skis so...

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
first of all: 'freestyle' skiing is bascially skiing that involves any type of TRICKERY or inverted craziness.

anyone looking for only the best freestyle ski....look not further than the Armada Tanner Hall Pro Model. it is by far one of the sickest skis for freestyle riding or what have you,but don't take it from me: i don't ski,i just snowboard and work at a high performance ski demo shop.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Racer-X said:
first of all: 'freestyle' skiing is bascially skiing that involves any type of TRICKERY or inverted craziness.

anyone looking for only the best freestyle ski....look not further than the Armada Tanner Hall Pro Model. it is by far one of the sickest skis for freestyle riding or what have you,but don't take it from me: i don't ski,i just snowboard and work at a high performance ski demo shop.
Yeah, I just love skis that have the edges intentionally rounded by the factory, rendering the ski completely useless outside of the park. :rolleyes: