Quantcast

freewheel question

jes

Chimp
Feb 17, 2010
santa cruz
My freewheel on a set of mavic deetracks went out.upon disassembly i found the pawl stuck down and not pushed out by the spring.when pulling the pawl out the spring was lost.can i get a new spring ?and is it worth cleaning and re assembling or will the problem just come back and leave me stranded again.thanks

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
any shop that carries Mavic can get you the spring.

And yes, cleaning and re-greasing with the proper lube the the pawl mechanism should resolve the issue.

edit: just re-read, thought you said dee max, not dee tracks. I have a set of dee tracks on my sx trail, and have had the same issue. My freehub gets sticky or tightens up and i wind up with chain suck. after trying to figure it out for half a season, I decided to ditch the hub and relace to a better hub.

Last edited:

-B-

Chimp
you should be cleaning the hub and oil it quite frequently it takes 5 min to do get you self a full rebuld kit to have on hand for future times when needed that way you will not have to wait on parts.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Mavic hubs need more maintenance than most, but it's really easy to do. Just clean everything up with some alcohol and re-lube with a bit of mineral oil. It needs to be done a few times a season if you ride a lot. It's easier than buying new hubs at least.