Quantcast

Freewheel Removal Problem...

Ricky

Chimp
Mar 5, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
Here's the problem:

Sachs Maillard Freewheel on a Bullseye Hub. The rim and non-freewheel-side spokes have been removed (totalled the rim on a jump). The freewheel-side spokes are still attached and can't be removed until the freewheel is detached. I just can't get the torque I need to detach the freewheel. Any suggestions that allow me to save the hub would be appreciated.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Usually it's a good idea to remove the freewheel before taking the wheel apart, that way you can use the wheel for your leverage. But in this case, that might be a bit of trouble. I don't know what to suggest for more leverage on the hub... unless you want to put in the nondrive side spokes again.

Anybody else help?

Ricky

Chimp
Mar 5, 2002
Silver Spring, MD
Originally posted by KonaDude
Usually it's a good idea to remove the freewheel before taking the wheel apart, that way you can use the wheel for your leverage.
but in this case, the rim and several spokes gave out and there was no torque to be had even if I had left them on. oh well...

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Find a nice bench vice and mount the removal tool in it, the grab the wheel and use as much muscle as you got. If that don't work you'll probably have to relace the wheel (at least in the torque direction).

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
hummm...
Definitely put the tool in a bench vise and tighten her up. Then mount the cassette on it, put on the chain whip, grab hold of the hub with all you've got and twist.
If that doesn't work, i guess it wouldnt' hurt to drop a little liquid wrench type stuff in there and let it sit overnight. If you do this, you should probably overhaul the hub afterwards. I dont' know if the LW will react with the grease.
Other than that, i can't see how attempting to lace it again will work? wouldn't you just bend the spokes when you try to toque it?
Very very last option should be mounting the hub itself in the vice. Just construct some type of cusion/fitting so you don't deform the flange. DO NOT do this until you know nothing else works though. It's pretty much a last ditch effort, and if it breaks your hub, at least you get your cass. out!
good luck, and don't mount the hub in the vice unless you absolutely have to.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Ricky
The freewheel-side spokes are still attached and can't be removed until the freewheel is detached.
Re-lace only the remaining spokes back on to a rim in a radial pattern. You only need enough spokes to turn the rim into a big wrench. Turn the nipples all the way to the bottm of the threads if needed to take up as much slack as possible. Now you have a very loosely built wheel to work with. Add a tire/ tube and inflate. Pop the remover in the vice and add wheel. SLOWLY rotate the wheel till all the spokes have tension, and go for it.

It'll look like this: