Quantcast

freewheeling crank, stock bike???

Apr 1, 2002
NY
freewheeling crank on a stock bike????? im builing my first trials bike, any opinions or advice??? heres what i have so far,
-jamis exile frame, 13 in
-old old old school maguras w/ plazmatic pads.
-a free wheeling Megamo crank, 170, i have a bash ring i am goin to have machined to fit flush to the crank. is this a lost cause??? is this something i should not b doin????
-a way too big goat wheels rear rim, and a ryno lite up front. gonna put a ryno in the back too. thansk for any replys, dave

p.s. Come ride bear creek PA for dh, duel, and mt X, cya

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
I have a megamo stock with that crank on it. Unless you run a fixie gear on the rear you will need to have the free wheel front welded. What they did was open the ACS free wheel take out all moving parts and run three weld beads to lock the inner and outer parts together.
Megamo makes a bash ring for that crank. So you should be able to make one.
The only problem is the cranks are weak as hell. I use Profile 3 pc cranks on a Threshhold bash/spider on my Planet X. Super stiff, and will not break.

Hope this helped,
WB

Apr 1, 2002
NY
hey man, i do have a fixed hub body. the bike is rideable but no bash ring. i hope these cranks hold up, i weigh 200. then again im only doin begenner anyways. and it prob wont b this year. thanks man, dave

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Oh ok. All the Megamo bash ring is a disc drilled to fit between the crank and free hub. It really is not that beefy(I broke one).
It should hold up for a while. I just say they are weak because I have broken at least one of everything Megamo made on my bike including the frame. I hung it on the wall and went with Planet X.

Enjoy Trials bro,
WB