Quantcast

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
My neighbor has one named Lucy that likes to wander in my kitchen door via our common yard area. The first time I met Lucy was in my hallway on an unannounced visit. Today, I got to formally meet her and her, and chat with my neighbor about the merits of the frenchie. I must admit, there is a growing chance that I may start searching for a new roomie.

Any monkeys with personal experiences with the breed?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I wanted an English Bulldog for years but just don't want to deal with the medical issues.

I have found that the French Bulldogs have a better health record and like you, they grew on me. Either when the cats die or I can find a new puppy and get them to co-exist, I will be getting one for sure. One of the friendliest small breeds.

They are expensive, $2400 per puppy at a few breeders around here.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Good friends of mine have one that is 3 or 4 years old now. Really nice dog and gets along well with their cats and cavalier spaniel. The frenchie, has been a little accident prone with a broken hip and he's smashed his face a couple times because he's top heavy and doesn't realize it. Fortunately, one of them is a vet so putting the dog back together again hasn't been an issue.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
dont buy one from a breeder. do the right thing and rescue/adopt one.

they can have expensive with their medical issues though

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The activity level seems about right for me, spunky but not exhausting, and not a sleepy bag of bones. They don't seem to be noisy or high strung for a smaller dog.

I've heard they don't do well in the heat. My apartment is 1920 construction and it cooks in the summer. Though my neighbor is in an identical unit and says her dog has endured it pretty well over the past two summers here (the pooch is 3). other than that, what health issues have y'all seen?

I considered a rescue, but word is that the LA are dogs get snatched up quickly and there is a significant wait list.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
breathing issues are the #1 problem with French Bulldogs. they also can suffer from heatstroke a lot easier than other dogs....they tend to snort like a pig when they get super hot.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My wife who's been in the veterinary industry for the last 8 years told me they can't breed on their own. I am serious. They are too top heavy and are too small to give birth without veterinary intervention.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dont buy one from a breeder. do the right thing and rescue/adopt one.
while i fully support rescue/adoption of animals, it's not necessarily for everyone. I just think it's a shame that such a program has to exist in the first place - caused by irresponsible people who think pets are disposable.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
while i fully support rescue/adoption of animals, it's not necessarily for everyone. I just think it's a shame that such a program has to exist in the first place - caused by irresponsible people who think pets are disposable.
i guess people who like to spend a ludicrous amount of money for a small dog will still go to breeders.

and not all rescue animals come from people who just give them up. one of my dogs was a stray, another was from a litter from a stray dog and our third did come from someone who couldnt/didnt want the puppies from her dog's litter

not designed, just byproducts
yep. they are the midgets of bulldogs. they have similar problems that midgets have.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
and not all rescue animals come from people who just give them up. one of my dogs was a stray, another was from a litter from a stray dog and our third did come from someone who couldnt/didnt want the puppies from her dog's litter
true, but aren't a portion of strays the end result of pet owners that don't spay/neuter?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
adopt a greyhound....ask irb about how inactive they are.
This is their life pretty much 20 hours a day. They get up for eating and potty breaks. It's a common misconception that they are high energy since they are bred for racing, while the opposite is true. A 10 minute walk a day is all they need for exercise. They make better apartment dogs than many small breeds. They are not good trail dogs.

Attachments

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I've got friends with a greyhound. They love it.

On the French pups, since they are so popular, have their been major puppy mill issues? Overbreeding resulting in bad tempers and worse health?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is their life pretty much 20 hours a day. They get up for eating and potty breaks. It's a common misconception that they are high energy since they are bred for racing, while the opposite is true. A 10 minute walk a day is all they need for exercise. They make better apartment dogs than many small breeds. They are not good trail dogs.
greyhounds seem pretty cool. are they short or long haired? i saw some pooches the other week that looked like greyhounds but with super long hair

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
adopt a greyhound....ask irb about how inactive they are.
I adopted one by default when my girlfriend and I moved in together. Dumb as a sack full of rocks, but sweet as can be. Her's has the problem of being made if tissue paper it would seem, so she always worries when her dog plays with my dogs, who seem to be made of rock hard stupidity.

One of my best friends has a frenchie named Willis. Raddest dog I've ever met, so I will be getting one sometime down the road.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
greyhounds seem pretty cool. are they short or long haired? i saw some pooches the other week that looked like greyhounds but with super long hair
You probably saw a saluki.

Greyhounds are short hair and are low allergen. They don't shed all that much.

I adopted one by default when my girlfriend and I moved in together. Dumb as a sack full of rocks, but sweet as can be. Her's has the problem of being made if tissue paper it would seem, so she always worries when her dog plays with my dogs, who seem to be made of rock hard stupidity.
Yeah, they have thin skin and cut/bruise easily. The wife's cousin has a couple of labs and it seems like our hound gets banged up everytime the dogs all play together. Greyhounds are an intelligent breed though. Sometimes they seem dumb because they really don't give a sh*t when you want them to do something. They obey when they feel like it.