Quantcast

French presses & coffee grinds...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey BV,
Those travel presses are cool if you are on the go. I have one myself.
But you have got to get a regular glass Bodum French Press.
The taste is way better.
Also, if will pay off if you go ahead and get a burr grinder.
I have a Solis one that I have had for years.
It will grind fine for espresso and really coarse for a french press.
I have been using my Bodum French Press everyday for about
8 years now.:D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Meh. I'm well known for my coffee snobbery; price is no indication of superior flavor and, the cool thing about bulk coffee beans, you don't have to buy more than a few days worth at a time. :)
Totally agree.
I am ashamed to say that the coffee I have settled on is a 40 ounce bag that I get from Sam's Club. Dark greasy french roast, 40 ounces and $11. I really like the flavor as well.
I can't remember the brand, but it comes in a dark brown bag.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have a nice hand-blown glass Chemex drip coffee maker for when I'm at home, and I like the variety in the flavor between the French press and the drip style - both good, for different reasons.

This is convenient because I never have much time in the morning (or, really, any time) and one less item to clean makes it easy - get to work after my early classes and I can wash out one cup and have it ready for the next day.

Looks like I'll just put off getting any grinder until I can justify a decent burr grinder to myself :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Totally agree.
I am ashamed to say that the coffee I have settled on is a 40 ounce bag that I get from Sam's Club. Dark greasy french roast, 40 ounces and $11. I really like the flavor as well.
I can't remember the brand, but it comes in a dark brown bag.
I've found an Italian Roast at Cost Plus that comes in a 24oz bag for $8. Just the right size bag - lasts about 1-1/2 weeks. Nice and greasy. :drool:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Looks like I'll just put off getting any grinder until I can justify a decent burr grinder to myself :)
definitely worth investing in a good burr machine (assuming your planning on maintaining your coffee habit for a while). you can get a couple reasonable models at the sub $150 pricepoint (starbucks barista, solis maestro) that will get the job done, though they're still mostly plastic, with questionable longterm durability & grind stability. after a good bit of research, i ended up with a rancilio rocky ($300) - a good compromise between the disposable plastic machines & the (cool, but big / expensive) commercial hardware. its compact, but has a burly steel chassis & massive motor (weighs 17lbs). consistently great uniform grind from espresso to french press, and will most likely last a lifetime.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I just picked up Bodum's French press/travel mug.

After making a couple cups of coffee with it, I'm hooked. This thing is awesome. Very easy to deal with in the morning when I'm in a hurry, and only one item to clean up when I'm done drinking it.

I've never owned a French press before, though, and typically buy my coffee pre-ground. This now begs the question: how do you go about making a coarse grind for the press? The last grinder I owned was one of those blender-style ones that you couldn't really control. You either had chunks of coffee beans or a fine powder. I'm not really into the idea of using the one at the store since it's been flavored by the coffee of a million other people.

Will a cheap grinder with a few settings like this one or this one suffice? Any other suggestions?
I actually have 2 of these, a big one and a small one. I absolutely love them.