Quantcast

FRESH salad.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
had a good one made with some mixed greens we are growing (from arugla seeds & meslun mix seeds) right now. The arugala was so spicy, it may have been the best salad ever. :thumb:

We cant wait for this years mater crop, it will be a bumper to say the least.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
arugula is great. for whatever reason, there was always a readily available fresh supply at any grocery store in dublin, whereas my local grocery now is hit or miss.

watercress is another good adder.

you growing them outside or inside?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
we are growing them outside. they did really well except for the part of the crop that was planted in my dogs favorite trampling spot. those didnt make it. i really need to go ahead and cut them back. all the greens are huge already.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I wish I had a place and time for a garden...

I'm in the middle of "salad" week - every night a fresh salad (the only way I can assure no veggies rot) -
Spinach, Romaine, and the purple stuff for leaf-ies
radishes
carrots
white onion
tomatoes
english cucumber
sliced avacado
feta
olives - mixed
and a delicious home-made greek dressing a friend gave me the recipe to...yummmm

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Jr_Bullit said:
I wish I had a place and time for a garden...

I'm in the middle of "salad" week - every night a fresh salad (the only way I can assure no veggies rot) -
Spinach, Romaine, and the purple stuff for leaf-ies
radishes
carrots
white onion
tomatoes
english cucumber
sliced avacado
feta
olives - mixed
and a delicious home-made greek dressing a friend gave me the recipe to...yummmm

i've been on major salad kick lately too. every day i have one for lunch and dinner. it seems to be about all i can get down while i am trying to get aclimated to the heat.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Oooh I have a salad question... I had a wonderful salad one time and I am trying to re-create it. It was baby spinach and maybe some romaine hearts, fresh blueberries with a sweet raspberry vinagrette, and it had either blue cheese or feta cheese on it, and I can't remember. Which of these would be more complementary to the salad? Also, would this salad be appropriate for a spaghetti dinner? thanks monkies and monkettes

CL

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'd go w/ feta, simply because there's less flavor competition going on w/ the raspberry viniagrette.

or use balsamic and go w/ the bleu.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
I'll be damned if you're not almost friendly once you're out of the PD forum. ;) Thanks for the rec narlus!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey, i'm friendly all the time! ;)

btw, if you want a bit of bitterness to the salad add one or more (in small amounts) of the following:

arugula
watercress
raddicchio (that purple stuff)

:drool:

btw, adding a small amount of nuts (can be walnuts, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, etc) is also a nice addition. any of this would be fine w/ a pasta dish.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
laura said:
i've been on major salad kick lately too. every day i have one for lunch and dinner. it seems to be about all i can get down while i am trying to get aclimated to the heat.
Send us 10 or so degrees up North, and you can start eating better. We are way below our so-called "average" temperature for this time of year.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SkaredShtles said:
You got that right! I've got 5 plants in the sunroom and we're probably 3-4 weeks away from the start of the harvest. :thumb:

-S.S.-
can you grow year around in your sunroom?
I have been toying with the idea of a green house.
or hyrdoponics. :evil:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TN said:
can you grow year around in your sunroom?
I have been toying with the idea of a green house.
or hyrdoponics. :evil:
I could if I ran the baseboard heat through the winter. As it is, the growing season in the sunroom appears to be late Feb. - November. During Feb. and early March I usually have to bring all the seedlings in nightly to keep 'em from freezing.

But right now my tomatoes are 3 feet tall and have *assloads* of flowers and tiny fruit. :thumb:

-S.S.-