Quantcast

Fresh Summer Corn

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The good stuff is hitting our markets. In the last 5 days I've made/eaten the following:

1. Steak with corn on the cob, with nothing but salt, pepper and butter on both.
2. Orrichette (sp?) with italian sausage, corn, cherry tomatoes, basil, parm.
3. Salmon with a saute of corn, red pepper, and basil.
4. Corn soup with chives.
5. Spinach salad with bacon, corn, red onion.
6. Ravioli with sweet onion filling, with corn, cherry tomatoes, lobster mushrooms, basil, and parm.

Who loves the corn?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You don't truly love corn until you've had it fresh.

I used to love it, now I know what love truly is :D

That, plus, my wife.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You don't truly love corn until you've had it fresh.

I used to love it, now I know what love truly is :D

That, plus, my wife.
Agreed, but are you talking to me? Most of this was fresh from the owner of the farm who watched his minions pick it that morning, about 25 miles from where I bought it (or so he said). It's not always this fresh and local but I never eat it from a can or a freezer bag.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
it doesnt even need to be cooked to be good. we have had a bad drought this year but there is still good corn to be had.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The corn here in CT is mighty tasty right now. I like to throw it on the grill with some of the husks still on it and let it cook to allow some of the kernels to carmelize a bit. Damned Tasty!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
BBQ Corn on the Cob!!! MMMM

strip it of its clothing
grease it up with a butter/mustard/pepper/salt/honey marinade combo
put the golden ears straight onto the grill...rotate, rotate, rotate until you get some tasty blackness of charred marinade
and oh baby eat eat eat

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BBQ Corn on the Cob!!! MMMM

strip it of its clothing
grease it up with a butter/mustard/pepper/salt/honey marinade combo
put the golden ears straight onto the grill...rotate, rotate, rotate until you get some tasty blackness of charred marinade
and oh baby eat eat eat
BLASPHEMER! Never put *anything* on corn unless it's crappy corn. :disgust1:

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
BLASPHEMER! Never put *anything* on corn unless it's crappy corn. :disgust1:
Said only by one who's never experienced the joy of bbq corn. :)

However - if BBQ nekkid (sans sauce) re-wrap the corn in its leaves after removing the hair - add a tiny bit of butter and/or salt if you must, and chomp/enjoy!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Said only by one who's never experienced the joy of bbq corn. :)

However - if BBQ nekkid (sans sauce) re-wrap the corn in its leaves after removing the hair - add a tiny bit of butter and/or salt if you must, and chomp/enjoy!
I've had good corn on the grill. I'm standing by no butter, salt, sauce or anything. No matter how the cooking is done. Good corn should always be enjoyed nekkid.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
steam whole cobs inside their husks. Then de-husk them and cover them in a mix of butter/hot sauce and shake on some spice. Sprinkle super small bits of red/green pepper on them and toss em on the bbq for 5 minutes.

May 18, 2004
Seattle
I tried soaking the corn in the husk for about an hour in the sink, then grilling on the Q to get a nice steamed/smoked consistency... Just remember to rotate evenly.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Corn season up here starts in about a week. Luckily I live on a farm with about a zillion acres of corn around me. I can literally walk out my door, walk 50ft and pick it off the stalk. Now THAT'S fresh (and free!).

This space is now reserved for corn recipes. Please post below (particularly the salmon and corn soup ones). Thanks.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
steam whole cobs inside their husks. Then de-husk them and cover them in a mix of butter/hot sauce and shake on some spice. Sprinkle super small bits of red/green pepper on them and toss em on the bbq for 5 minutes.
Just awesome. I eat enough plain corn so I kind of enjoyed the change of pace. My aunt put foil around the husks on the grill and served them with the husks put back on. A step I will skip when I make them myself.