Quantcast

Fresh Tomatoes?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I have too many this year! It's been years since I've have a crop like this. Other than soup, sauce and salsa, any ideas for what to do with them? I've really been enjoying no-cook recipes like a fresh mozzarella/sliced tomato salad.....

gg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
There's no such thing as too many. And the mozz/tom sliced is called "caprese." :D

Here are some ideas:

Bake some in a "proper" fryup for breakfast.
Cut in wedges, sprinkle with basil, EVOO & balsamic for a very simple tomato salad
Cut up & combine with purple onions, EVOO & balsamic for a little variety.
Sun/oven dry a bunch
Baked with bread crumbs & spices for a nice veg side dish

Tomatoes rule all. Only bacon is better. In fact - I'd bet if you put bacon in the above ideas they would be stellar. :D

Mind if I ask what kind you have growing? We got ours in late this year (late June), so I'm now *hoping* that September will be mild so I can partake in the bumper crop.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Early Girls, and something that volunteered, it's small but not a cherry.
I think the only reason they are so good this year is that it's been a drought summer, no rain, hotter than "normal". Usually it's a challenge to get anything to ripen up.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
You could always donate some to the poor bastid across town who was really lazy about watering his own!!!!:happydance:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
There's no such thing as too many. And the mozz/tom sliced is called "caprese." :D

Here are some ideas:

Cut in wedges, sprinkle with basil, EVOO & balsamic for a very simple tomato salad ...basil :cheers:

above + combine with purple onions, toasted pine nuts and a little gorgonzola crumbled up :biggrin::banana:

Tomatoes rule all. Only bacon is better. In fact - I'd bet if you put bacon in the above ideas they would be stellar. :D
...Seconded...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
BLT's are one of my favorites as well as caprese salad! I generally use up my mother-in-laws tomatos in homemade sauce.

Let's see: How about stuffed tomatos, (BLT) Panzanella, tomato risotto, homemade bloody marys? or a fresh tomato tart?

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I was making a light salad with cherry tomatoes a week ago - ended up eating all the damn little critters before I finished the salad.

What can I say? Occupational hazard.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I was making a light salad with cherry tomatoes a week ago - ended up eating all the damn little critters before I finished the salad.

What can I say? Occupational hazard.
Cherry & grape tomatoes don't last in my house either...the hubby's always got a handful of them so I have to use them up quick or else cook with some other variety.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Cherry & grape tomatoes don't last in my house either...the hubby's always got a handful of them so I have to use them up quick or else cook with some other variety.
My wife makes a killer recipe with cherry tomatoes that involves pasta, pesto, sundried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and leftover roast chicken. Best pasta salad EVER.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
fresh tomato tart? that sounds yummy! recipe?
Sure thing! I have 2 -- one is from Emeril and uses potatos and tomatos and the other is just for tomatos and is easy but SO good!!!

Fresh Tomato Tart - Serves 8-10
1 store-bought or homemade dough for tart shell
8 to 10 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus extra for garnish
4 to 6 plum tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Basil, chopped for garnish

Preheat oven: 400 degrees F. Line loose bottom tart pan with dough rolled out 1/8-inch thick. Spread bottom of pastry with shredded cheese and sprinkle with basil. Cover with tomato slices, arranging to cover as evenly as possible. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake 20 to 30 minutes. Watch carefully. When crust is golden and cheese is bubbly, remove. Garnish with fresh basil. Slice in wedges and serve warm.

I'll have to find the Emeril one.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
More tomato recipes, please! :D
This is one of Alton Browns' from Good Eats

TBL Panzanella
- Serves 4-6
4 cups French bread cut into 1-inch cubes and dried overnight
6 slices bacon, cooked, chopped, drippings reserved
2 cups halved grape tomatoes
2 tablespoons oil, for searing
2 cups halved yellow pear tomatoes or roughly chopped heirloom tomatoes
2 cups chopped romaine lettuce

Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chiffonade mint
1 tablespoon chiffonade basil

Toss bread cubes in the bacon drippings. Sear the halved grape tomatoes in 2 tablespoons of oil, cut side down, until caramelized about 5 minutes, set aside.

Combine red wine vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl, slowly whisk in olive oil in a thin stream until emulsified.

Combine all tomatoes, bread, bacon, and lettuce and dress with vinaigrette, toss well, garnish with mint and basil and serve.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
combined some of these ideas for...

tomato wedges, toasted pine nuts, red onion slivers, crumbled gorgonzola and a littel basalmic and evoo.....with grilled rib eyes....

what, no drool smiley????:rant:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Creamy Fresh Tomato Risotto - Serves 6-8

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
Salt
Freshly ground white pepper
Freshly ground black pepper
6 cups water
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 pound (2 cups) Arborio rice
1/2 pound assorted baby tomatoes, such as cherry, current, teardrop, stemmed and cut in half
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3 tablespoons chopped green onions, green part only

In a large saute pan, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring. Saute until the onions are slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Add the water and garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for about 6 minutes. Add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes and continue to simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture is creamy and bubbly, about 8 minutes. Stir in the butter, cream, cheese and green onions. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Spoon the risotto into serving bowls or plates and serve.

Tomato and Corn Salad - Makes about 3 cups
1 cup roasted sweet corn
1/2 pint red tear drop tomatoes, stemmed, washed and sliced in half
1/2 pint yellow teardrop tomatoes, stemmed, washed and sliced in half
1/2 cup minced red onions
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno peppers
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Combine the corn, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, parsley, lime juice, and lemon juice. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve cold or at room temperature.

(I think these came from one of the Emeril cookbooks)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spicy Bloody Mary - Makes 6-8

3 pounds tomatoes (heirloom if possible), cored and roughly cut
2 to 3 jalapeno chilis, stems removed and roughly cut
1 bulb fennel, white part roughly cut
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, halved
1/2 cup favorite spice rub
6 to 8 whole red jalapenos
Lemon vodka

Place tomatoes, jalapenos, and fennel in a bowl. Season liberally with pepper, salt and the Worchestershire sauce. Coat with olive oil, tossing lightly. Put a few of the tomatoes in the blender and liquefy – this will make it easier to puree the rest of the solids. Add the fennel/tomato/jalapeno mixture to a blender and puree until liquefied. Store in refrigerator up to 6 hours until chilled.

Assembling the cocktail:
Rub a cut lemon around the rim of a chilled martini glass. Dip the glass, upside down, in salt or your favorite spice rub. Slice the tip of a red jalapeno pepper vertically and slip over the rim. Place 1 or 2 of the jalapeno ice cubes in each glass, pour chilled bloody maria mixture on top, and top each glass with 1 ounce of lemon vodka. Stir carefully and serve.

Note: If you don't have lemon vodka, use regular vodka and squeeze a little lemon juice in each glass.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Gazpacho - Serves 8-12

1 cup chopped red onions
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped English cucumber
1 cup chopped and peeled tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 cups tomato juice (fresh or canned)
Sprig of thyme
Balsamic Glaze (see below)

Mix all the ingredients except the balsamic glaze together in a bowl or other container, cover, and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.

The next day, remove the thyme and blend all the ingredients in a blender until the gazpacho is smooth. You will have about 2 quarts. For a smoother texture, strain the soup to yield about 1 quart. Refrigerate the gazpacho until ready to serve.

To complete: Ladle the cold soup into bowls and squeeze dots of balsamic glaze over the top.

Balsamic Glaze: 2 cups balsamic vinegar Heat the vinegar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until steam rises from the liquid. Place the saucepan on a heat diffuser and let the liquid reduce very slowly (it shouldn't simmer) for 2 to 3 hours, until it has reduced and thickened to a syrupy glaze. There should be approximately = cup of glaze. Keep the glaze in a squeeze bottle at room temperature for garnishing: if the glaze is too thick, warm the bottle in hot water to loosen the glaze.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
mmmm......maters.
This year I fell in love with sliced tomatoes with nothin on them but a lite sprinkle of fleur de sel. :drool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Thought I'd resurrect this thread. My green tomatoes are almost all ripening! So the 25 lbs I brought in from the garden before the first hard freeze were in dire need of consumption.

So tonight we made "roasted tomatoes Provençal" which went a little something like this:

Heat 1/4c olive oil over med-high heat
Slice a bunch of 'maters in half
Sear the tomatoes in the hot oil for about 4 minutes
Transfer the 'maters to a baking dish
Deglaze the pan with 1/4c vinegar (recipe called for red wine, but I used balsamic)
Pour the deglazed "sauce" over the 'maters
Throw on some fresh or dried herbs (I used fresh thyme, parsley, and some dried herbes de Provence).
Bake at 400F for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy! I loved it, but my wife isn't a huge fan of baked tomatoes so it wasn't quite as much of a hit with her. :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We have to call in the national guard this year to handle what I am referring to as our back yard tomato plague.

The bushes erupted from beneath the compost bin and almost swallowed a small village.

We have enough tomatoes to choke a rancor.