Quantcast

fri gfmt

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
HBD, Eric.

I bagged up a dead, now-frozen bunny from the yard to appease the women-folk, then now am at work.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In high school I dragged a ridiculous amount of Christmas lawn decorations back to my friend's house after a 3+ mile drunken trek across town, grabbing random shit from people's lawns across the way. I woke up to his mom yelling "where the fuck did all this come from?" because I had dumped them all over the floor in their house.

Me and the captain made it happen that night for sure.
We had stollen a 3 foot tall plastic Joseph one year. A buddy got all emotional because he thought we stole God, but it was just Jesus's step dad, so it was cool.
in high school one of the kids that was always in trouble showed up one day in decemeber with a massive bruise covering about half his face. word got out he was out stealing xmas lights one night, got caught red handed and took a swift kick to the face.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:cheers: @eric strt6, with your favorite NA beer, of course!

Bunch of us from work went to a hockey game several years ago right about this time of year. Nothing super crazy, but animatronic Rudolph may have wound up getting violated by animatronic Prancer, in someone's front yard that night.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:cheers: @eric strt6, with your favorite NA beer, of course!

Bunch of us from work went to a hockey game several years ago right about this time of year. Nothing super crazy, but animatronic Rudolph may have wound up getting violated by animatronic Prancer, in someone's front yard that night.
Animatronic Prancer your drunk name? Like a 'Squeeb version of Frank the Tank?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
*le sigh*

Was going to head out and get the last of the Christmas gifts. Instead, I'm at Les Schwab getting four new fucking tires put on the Leaf because the left rear had a god damned screw poking out right up against the sidewall.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
You bag them? I just drop them into the trash. More environmental.
I used a bag to put it in an Amazon padded mailer. It was too big to totally fit in there. Then I dumped the carcass in the compost bin to continue the circle of life and the plastic-stuffs in the adjacent trash.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wait does anybody think I was doing something fun? LOL it's probably from the new rowing machine and terrible form associated. AND sleeping bad.
Key form factor for rowing: from the compressed position - legs, back, arms - arms, back legs. Once you start driving, tension your back and arms so as not to put too much pressure on your lower back. It's a smooth transition from each motion, but that is the order of operations. When you transition from back to arms, you roll and snap your shoulders back, which will leave your hands slightly lower for the next drive back. When you get to compression, bring your hands up slightly before driving back. Think that your and putting an oar into and out of the water. It helps keep your form correct. Timing is 3:1. 3 to compression for 1 to drive. Strokes/min you should aim for no more than around 28-30 when you are just getting started. For time, aim for 2:12-2:18/500m. That's a good, non-back stressing power level for a generally fit man working at a 28-30 strokes/min rate.

Out of shape I can hold about 2:00/500m at 32 for around 12-14min and that's 80% hr. That's largely on form based on a lot of years rowing competitively. Given your generally pretty strong and fit, I'd assume the above numbers would be about accurate for you.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
*le sigh*

Was going to head out and get the last of the Christmas gifts. Instead, I'm at Les Schwab getting four new fucking tires put on the Leaf because the left rear had a god damned screw poking out right up against the sidewall.
Why no Discount Tire? Usually cheaper and using their card you can get discounts and 6m 0% (aka free money, better cash-flow).

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Why no Discount Tire? Usually cheaper and using their card you can get discounts and 6m 0% (aka free money, better cash-flow).
Because Les Schwab is closest to the house and years of habit. I used to buy tires from them in the late 90's up in the PNW back when a set of four got you a side of beef. @jimmydean knows.

Besides, never had a bad customer service experience, warranty is solid. And as much as it hurts, I have the cash and don't really need/want another card.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Starting from compressed, count: 1(drive), 1-2-3(compression/recovery), 1(drive), 1-2-3(compression/recovery)
Ah, now I see it. I thought you were making a 3:1.3 ratio and had slipped on your spacebar and then hit your head

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Phone interview went well methinks. The would be boss seems like a laid back, no-nonsense type.

Upside, >20% raise, title bump, more in line with my copious and finely tuned skillz, and location is closer to where we are looking for houses.

Downside, it would be 100% on site, effective immediately. Obviously I don't have an offer in hand at the moment, but certainly things to consider. :think:

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Because Les Schwab is closest to the house and years of habit. I used to buy tires from them in the late 90's up in the PNW back when a set of four got you a side of beef. @jimmydean knows.

Besides, never had a bad customer service experience, warranty is solid. And as much as it hurts, I have the cash and don't really need/want another card.
Not to mention, when I was looking for it, Les Schwab was one of the few places that still sipes tires.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Key form factor for rowing: from the compressed position - legs, back, arms - arms, back legs. Once you start driving, tension your back and arms so as not to put too much pressure on your lower back. It's a smooth transition from each motion, but that is the order of operations. When you transition from back to arms, you roll and snap your shoulders back, which will leave your hands slightly lower for the next drive back. When you get to compression, bring your hands up slightly before driving back. Think that your and putting an oar into and out of the water. It helps keep your form correct. Timing is 3:1. 3 to compression for 1 to drive. Strokes/min you should aim for no more than around 28-30 when you are just getting started. For time, aim for 2:12-2:18/500m. That's a good, non-back stressing power level for a generally fit man working at a 28-30 strokes/min rate.

Out of shape I can hold about 2:00/500m at 32 for around 12-14min and that's 80% hr. That's largely on form based on a lot of years rowing competitively. Given your generally pretty strong and fit, I'd assume the above numbers would be about accurate for you.
Thanks for the tips. I've reviewed the what to do/what not to do already, but it's a matter of implementing them. It still cracks me up that they carried the machine down to the rickety dock to shoot that video- you can even see the water on the dock from where it probably rocked and splashed.

That being said- I don't think my form is TOO bad. I'm sure it could be improved, but the bigger thing is that I have used a rowing machine about three times in my life- twice this week. I'm using muscles between my shoulder blades that I virtually never use. They say this improves posture, and I can see why!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Phone interview went well methinks. The would be boss seems like a laid back, no-nonsense type.

Upside, >20% raise, title bump, location is closer to where we are looking for houses.

Downside, it would be 100% on site, effective immediately. Obviously I don't have an offer in hand at the moment, but certainly things to consider. :think:
where are you looking to buy?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks for the tips. I've reviewed the what to do/what not to do already, but it's a matter of implementing them. It still cracks me up that they carried the machine down to the rickety dock to shoot that video- you can even see the water on the dock from where it probably rocked and splashed.

That being said- I don't think my form is TOO bad. I'm sure it could be improved, but the bigger thing is that I have used a rowing machine about three times in my life- twice this week. I'm using muscles between my shoulder blades that I virtually never use. They say this improves posture, and I can see why!
My posture when I was rowing was incredible. I stood a solid inch taller.

As for the dock, imagine carrying a 70' long boat overhead with 7 other guys, down said dock, then putting it down in a controlled manner equally so as not to break it because it's fiberglass or carbon hull is 1/2" thick. Then pulling it back out again.

And honestly, that dock looks really good compared to some I've been on.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Upside, >20% raise, title bump, more in line with my copious and finely tuned skillz, and location is closer to where we are looking for houses.

Internesting . . . how many others would be around you in the office environment?

Been alternating between working on work things and starting to rough in an itinerary for a family trip to the PNW next summer. Cautiously optimistic. Thinking a few days in Seattle (city cultural stuff) with a side trip to Ranier, a few days in the Olympic National Park area (hot springs, Hoh rainforest, hikes), and a day or two in the San Juans (whale watch, kayaking, seeing the foxes). Anything major in the area that I'm missing? Unfortunately, I don't foresee any riding as it'll be all family, all the time. I'm assuming that Canada might still not be letting us in, or else we'd go to Victoria.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Predating all this rowing talk, I actually hopped on the Concept2 for the first time in 6 weeks last night. I'd been doing a Power Zone Pack (Peloton) challenge for said 6 weeks but now have a month off in which I'll do Peloton rides + a few minutes on the rower to justify its existence.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Internesting . . . how many others would be around you in the office environment?

Been alternating between working on work things and starting to rough in an itinerary for a family trip to the PNW next summer. Cautiously optimistic. Thinking a few days in Seattle (city cultural stuff) with a side trip to Ranier, a few days in the Olympic National Park area (hot springs, Hoh rainforest, hikes), and a day or two in the San Juans (whale watch, kayaking, seeing the foxes). Anything major in the area that I'm missing? Unfortunately, I don't foresee any riding as it'll be all family, all the time. I'm assuming that Canada might still not be letting us in, or else we'd go to Victoria.
North Cascades...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Everyone would be around. Sounds like they have all personnel on site, just doing their best to socially distance/wear masks.

North Cascades...
Wish we had the chance to spend any time in the Cascades. As it was, we only scratched Olympic NP, but having the dogs in tow meant that getting too deep in the parks wasn't going to happen.

Leavenworth was fun to hang around in, though I can't see it being worth the day trip from Seattle.

If our northern neighbors open up the border, I highly recommend a trip to Vancouver Island. Victoria was a blast, and we really enjoyed Chemainus. Fun little town that was.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My posture when I was rowing was incredible. I stood a solid inch taller.

As for the dock, imagine carrying a 70' long boat overhead with 7 other guys, down said dock, then putting it down in a controlled manner equally so as not to break it because it's fiberglass or carbon hull is 1/2" thick. Then pulling it back out again.

And honestly, that dock looks really good compared to some I've been on.
It was more of the fact that they carried it down to the dock to shoot a video, rather than carrying a boat to the dock. Precisely 0 people have moved their rowing machine to a dock to practice rowing...if you catch my drift.

Since you and @Toshi are rowers- I scored a Trident Challenge AR (water) rower from first degree fitness for the cost of moving it. It's a little dusty and missing some stuff, but I feel like I scored a heck of a deal...