Quantcast

fri gfmt

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, Bellingham then over into that area was the other thing that I was considering . . . I'll look into it more.
It depends on what you want to do, hike or look at things from a parking lot. Sounds like your family is fairly woods friendly. I would avoid driving to Rainier NP and say just driving up to paradise. It is always packed, and I mean fucking packed. And you get to see Mt Rainier from pretty much anywhere in the area. It is fucking big and always in view.

If you want to do some day hike there are a bounty of mind blowing options in the North Cascades of varying difficulty. Mt. Baker has some fairly easy short hikes where you not only get to see Mt Baker but a whole lot of the rest of the cascades plus some very cool local features like glaciers in a lake.

As far as the Olympic Peninsula is concerned there are some really cool beaches on the pacific coast surrounded by little islands and sea-stacks. Requires a short hike but it is worth it.

A side trip to Mt St Helens very much worth it.

Bring riding gear.

Edit: Few things sum up how awesome the North Cascades are than this statistic.

death park.PNG

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Southern NH tends to swing wildly from Trump thumping brodozers to more open-minded, liberal enclaves. As you might guess, we very much associate with the later party.
Yeah, I apologize, I have a strong anti-NH bias and I'm honestly not certain why. It's like Vermont without the charm, trees, and with six times the people.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Teh Financée found out today that the OR Nurse Residency program she applied and interviewed for wants to move forward with hiring her. Leadership has to approve the new position, so it's not in the bag yet but we've got our fingers crossed. This would be huge for her, and us really. She would get away from bed side nursing which is wearing on her, she'd learn a bunch of cool new stuff, the experience would be really beneficial for us to move to the mountains and her getting a job at a smaller hospital, and she would get to keep her 3/13 schedule but would no longer have weekend requirements.

So yeah... stoked.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yeah, I apologize, I have a strong anti-NH bias and I'm honestly not certain why. It's like Vermont without the charm, trees, and with six times the people.
Fair. I'm biased against Connecticut. It's like it has a personality disorder, do i want to be New York, do I want to be Massachusetts, or do I want to be a private school?

I enjoy most of VT, just don't see how it would be possible to live anywhere outside of Brattleboro, Bennington, Rutland, Burlington, or Montpelier/Barre. Perhaps my expectations just need resetting to align with the simpler way of life. Fine place to visit though!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It was more of the fact that they carried it down to the dock to shoot a video, rather than carrying a boat to the dock. Precisely 0 people have moved their rowing machine to a dock to practice rowing...if you catch my drift.

Since you and @Toshi are rowers- I scored a Trident Challenge AR (water) rower from first degree fitness for the cost of moving it. It's a little dusty and missing some stuff, but I feel like I scored a heck of a deal...
1. Toshi is a rower? I didn't know his leg:torso ratio allowed for that :rofl:
2. Baller. I've been debating getting a Concept2, but they are fucking expensive.

And we definitely have rolled our ergs down to the dock before for practice. It's all about space when you want open air. But, yeah, that was totally marketing.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
A side trip to Mt St Helens very much worth it.
:stupid:

Even when you stand right smack dab square in the middle of it, the immensity of just what happened there is kind of beyond the human mind. Tying to imagine what those last couple of minutes for Truman or Johnston or any of the other unfortunate souls must have been like......oof. Its an amazing and sobering place. I also highly recommend it.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi is a rower? I didn't know his leg:torso ratio allowed for that :rofl:
I have a rower. Not sure that I am a rower! The Concept2 is fine for what it is, but the overall experience is just so much less engaging than on the Peloton-tube, not to mention the community aspect of the team challenge and high fiving people on the list near you on populated live and otherwise rides.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Phone interview went well methinks. The would be boss seems like a laid back, no-nonsense type.

Upside, >20% raise, title bump, more in line with my copious and finely tuned skillz, and location is closer to where we are looking for houses.

Downside, it would be 100% on site, effective immediately. Obviously I don't have an offer in hand at the moment, but certainly things to consider.
Sounds like you would be closer to my trails? :D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
:stupid:

Even when you stand right smack dab square in the middle of it, the immensity of just what happened there is kind of beyond the human mind. Tying to imagine what those last couple of minutes for Truman or Johnston or any of the other unfortunate souls must have been like......oof. Its an amazing and sobering place. I also highly recommend it.
Third the Mt St. Helens suggestion. Amazing place!
Depending on how far south you plan on venturing, I love, love, love Crater Lake NP. :wub:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
ew

but I hope you find what you're looking for!
the entire population of NH is less than twice the population of my *county*
Having worked in New Hampshire for 5 years (Jaffrey) and now do most of my shopping and random errands the past 3 years in the Nashua area, I can say with 100% certainty I'd much rather live in southern New Hampshire than anywhere within 10 or 15 miles of Boston. Hands down.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Seeing as though it is a National Monument and not a National Park, there are mountainbike trails on St. Helens. Fun but not amazing trails, but the point of riding them is being able to see a good chunk of the area that would normally take several days of hiking.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
This is the last day my Foster Brother Franklins Restaurant is open. I am very saddened by this. He is a good egg. Family man. Fight Square will never be the same. Best Chopped Cheese sandwich outside of the Bronx....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Because Les Schwab is closest to the house and years of habit. I used to buy tires from them in the late 90's up in the PNW back when a set of four got you a side of beef. @jimmydean knows.

Besides, never had a bad customer service experience, warranty is solid. And as much as it hurts, I have the cash and don't really need/want another card.
How can you beat free beef with the purchase of tires? They are also a huge sponsor of Warfighter Outfitters (GFF's side hussle).

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Thanks guys. what started out as a hell day turned out well and then having the opportunity to get vaccinated sooner rather than later is awesome. With my age I am high risk, with my job highest risk, except for Scrublover but he has better PPE and know his patients have covid.

To top it off I ordered Chinese Takeout
131992345_4158976014119377_3275042034397642487_o.jpg

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Wife ordered my XO1 derailleur for me yesterday for Xmas it turns out. Score.

Shop in tax free NH about 30min away has the XO1 crankset and cassette I want in stock at the store according to their site. Going to call in the AM to confirm and if they do may take older kid with me to get the rest of the build, sans pedals.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Wife ordered my XO1 derailleur for me yesterday for Xmas it turns out. Score.

Shop in tax free NH about 30min away has the XO1 crankset and cassette I want in stock at the store according to their site. Going to call in the AM to confirm and if they do may take older kid with me to get the rest of the build, sans pedals.
fuck a fancy crankset. get an xt crankset and the pedals for the same price as an x01 crankset. i highly recommend rf atlas. have the oneups now but liked those better.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
fuck a fancy crankset. get an xt crankset and the pedals for the same price as an x01 crankset. i highly recommend rf atlas. have the oneups now but liked those better.
If a Shimano product touched one of my bikes my head would explode.

Nothing related to quality or performance, strictly my OCD.