Quantcast

friday end of it gfmt....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Youngest is quarantined for 14 days here at home due to possible exposure on Tuesday.

Pulling up the drawbridge for a few weeks, at this point.

:(
Tent in the back garden required. Sunday/Monday weather will be character building.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
woody is always the one to do the big drop in the first 5 minutes, sometimes breaking his bike and spending the rest of the day on the bench....but sounds like he's sitting this one out
I will take over his role, preferably without the bike breaking. But that's kinda my thing too, mostly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
For my current project I am kind of managing a team of engineers in India who are doing programming for me. I was warned prior to the project that others have never gotten very good results doing the same. The first few weeks I had the very same experience as everyone else but kept trying different approaches. I started talking to the engineers individually instead of in large meetings and BAM, we developed trust and a good rapport and they started churning out a lot of good work. A month later and we got nominated for a innovation award for getting shit done.

Fast forward to this week, we had a deadline to meet this week but technical difficulties were going to prevent shit from getting finished on time. The engineers in India were nervous because they thought that my management team would be angry. I told them it was my fault for underestimating the effort required and was going to take the blame from my leadership team. This morning I got a call from them saying they worked like 48 hours straight and got it done. I told them it wasn't necessary but they said they wanted to get it done because I had their backs and they wanted to have mine. This shouldn't be an interesting story but I am pretty sure this is the first time anything like this has happened at this company and it feels pretty good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That’s excellent, Westy, good job.
clearly you aren’t made for management with this approach.:pleasantry:

Exactly. One of the big problems was that most of the conversations we had were in large meetings where their manager was present. They felt a lot more comfortable asking questions and having open conversations 1:1.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Exactly. One of the big problems was that most of the conversations we had were in large meetings where their manager was present. They felt a lot more comfortable asking questions and having open conversations 1:1.
How does the manager feel about this situation? Good for you that you found this route.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How does the manager feel about this situation? Good for you that you found this route.
I told him I estimated the effort incorrectly. He was super cool with it. He is generally super happy with what we accomplishing, could be a different story if we were consistently behind schedule.

My boss is also younger than I am an I think I scare him a little bit.

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
After technical presentations or roll outs to our team, I will ask management if they have any questions. When they are finished, I politely suggest that they must have more important tasks to attend to. Doesn't always work, but when it does, it is (not really that) amazing how much more involvement & discussion I get from the team...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They are required to wear masks to/from trainings, but during they are mask-free. Coaches are mandated to wear masks all the time. So during the exposure the kids were maskless while the coaches were masked.
i don't understand why people are letting their kids participate in team sports right now.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Someone just called me and said the cover on the bottom of their laptop popped off at random...

Sure enough they bring it over and the battery has swollen and doubled in size, enough to break open the motherboard cover.

Yikes...the fuck do I do with this thing?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can understand the need for a *little* bit of "normalcy" during this shitshow. Predictably, outbreaks have been common and there really isn't a whole lot getting done, so in the end, I'm just pissing money away to the soccer club. :D
we've started finding new playgrounds around us. and hiking in the woods.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
They are required to wear masks to/from trainings, but during they are mask-free. Coaches are mandated to wear masks all the time. So during the exposure the kids were maskless while the coaches were masked.
no judging....nephews do scouts....masked...i think....do mot know....that is my brothers hell...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
no judging....nephews do scouts....masked...i think....do mot know....that is my brothers hell...
No worries - discussion can be useful. :)

My youngest is also still in Scouts. They were meeting masked over the summer outdoors.

Fortunately(?) soccer has been in the way of Scout meetings most of the autumn, and now with shit hitting the fan, we are going to lay low for awhile...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Someone just called me and said the cover on the bottom of their laptop popped off at random...

Sure enough they bring it over and the battery has swollen and doubled in size, enough to break open the motherboard cover.

My work Dell did similar, swelled upwards until the trackpad wouldn't work any more.

It was still under warranty at the time, so they posted a new battery and chassis and then a tech came out to swap them over. He left an appropriate box for me to post it back to Dell with.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I told him I estimated the effort incorrectly. He was super cool with it. He is generally super happy with what we accomplishing, could be a different story if we were consistently behind schedule.

My boss is also younger than I am an I think I scare him a little bit.
Not your manager, their manager who was not a part of the discussions anymore. Whenever I dealt with an Indian team, skipping a cog in their hierarchy was an unspeakable act.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My work Dell did similar, swelled upwards until the trackpad wouldn't work any more.

It was still under warranty at the time, so they posted a new battery and chassis and then a tech came out to swap them over. He left an appropriate box for me to post it back to Dell with.
An XPS? Dell sent me a replacement battery for my 9550 before it happened but yeah, they fucked up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not your manager, their manager who was not a part of the discussions anymore. Whenever I dealt with an Indian team, skipping a cog in their hierarchy was an unspeakable act.
I assume he doesn't know. With the time difference and everyone working from home they are talking to me way after normal business hours. I had a conversation about them with my boss today. Apearantly he has to fill out a weekly score card for them. He says he will give them perfect scores unless I say otherwise. I assume that is all their boss cares about.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
After technical presentations or roll outs to our team, I will ask management if they have any questions. When they are finished, I politely suggest that they must have more important tasks to attend to. Doesn't always work, but when it does, it is (not really that) amazing how much more involvement & discussion I get from the team...
I often say that I assume silence is concurrence, but silence is rare. I usually get tons of questions, most well out of the scope of what I was actually presenting.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

put it in the freezer. duh.
j/k. happened to our old macbook. new battery fixed it.

fucked off work and went for a ride and beers with ol vinnycactus. it was glorious.

now hitting the grocery store and home for homemade pizza.