Quantcast

friday gfmt

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
56F earlier this afternoon, sunny with mild wind. Sounded like great conditions for a ride, alas trails are soft as poo. Cut the ride short, now still working a bit and having beers instead.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
56F earlier this afternoon, sunny with mild wind. Sounded like great conditions for a ride, alas trails are soft as poo. Cut the ride short, now still working a bit and having beers instead.
Phew. I "worked from home" with the initial intention of riding, but looking at my yard and surrounding woods made me think trail conditions were shit.

Instead I slept late then got a coffee and pulled pork breakfast burrito downtown. Seems I chose wisely.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I’m going to market ‘overlanding’ ramps. You keep them in the Tepui tent while traveling, and build them in the parking lot, so you can park your Bronco at a 45 degree angle, while only taking up one spot.
(The ‘deluxe/advanced’ model will take up four spots)

Who is in for my kickstarter campaign?

I will call it E.O.U., for ’Extreme Urban Overlander’.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if you include a parking area for a BMW GSA under the ramp then you'll sell 10,000

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Might accidentally a smart trainer after all. Got the cheap dumb one off FB a couple weeks to try it out to see if I'd "like" (tolerate) it and can already see it will get a ton of use.

As I already have the Fenix and use the Garmin app constantly (I understand my cadence/speed sensors will become redundant), is there any advantage with sticking to the Tacx options? REI has a decent sale going on for both the Flux models, and based on internet research would go with the Flux 2. But if there's no real benefit in sticking with Garmin, they also have $200 off the Kickr Core as well, which I know are popular. Not sure I can justify breaking the $1000 mark for the Neo 2T or Kickr Smart as I'm not competing in Ironmans.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Might accidentally a smart trainer after all. Got the cheap dumb one off FB a couple weeks to try it out to see if I'd "like" (tolerate) it and can already see it will get a ton of use.

As I already have the Fenix and use the Garmin app constantly (I understand my cadence/speed sensors will become redundant), is there any advantage with sticking to the Tacx options? REI has a decent sale going on for both the Flux models, and based on internet research would go with the Flux 2. But if there's no real benefit in sticking with Garmin, they also have $200 off the Kickr Core as well, which I know are popular. Not sure I can justify breaking the $1000 mark for the Neo 2T or Kickr Smart as I'm not competing in Ironmans.
Kickr Core is what wife and I bought at the start of lockdown, no issues with them.

Edit: doesn't matter what you have if it's a decent direct drive trainer. Just need to decide what app to use with it, zwift, rouvy, rgt etc.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Kickr Core is what wife and I bought at the start of lockdown, no issues with them.

Edit: doesn't matter what you have if it's a decent direct drive trainer. Just need to decide what app to use with it, zwift, rouvy, rgt etc.
I thought I remembered you have one (well, 2). Appreciate the input.

You know how easily I can sync/input data from trainer rides on the Kickr to the Garmin connect app where all my mtb rides are anyway? Only reason I thought the Garmin might be better is data tracking would be in the connect app by default, I'm assuming.

If they're all pretty compatible I might go pick up a Core tomorrow....

EDIT - seems it can?

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I thought I remembered you have one (well, 2). Appreciate the input.

You know how easily I can sync/input data from trainer rides on the Kickr to the Garmin connect app where all my mtb rides are anyway? Only reason I thought the Garmin might be better is data tracking would be in the connect app by default, I'm assuming.

If they're all pretty compatible I might go pick up a Core tomorrow....
The sync would be controlled by whatever you record the activity on that's connected to the trainer.

My Garmin 830 can connect to the trainer and either control the trainer recording the workout or record what the trainer is doing when it's controlled by an app. I've never recorded a Rouvy trainer ride on my Garmin, I don't think it would get the vert.

For indoor stuff I use Rouvy on my laptop controlling the trainer. Rouvy is then linked with my strava, I think it can link with Garmin connect but I've never tried. I presume other apps are the same.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The sync would be controlled by whatever you record the activity on that's connected to the trainer.

My Garmin 830 can connect to the trainer and either control the trainer recording the workout or record what the trainer is doing when it's controlled by an app. I've never recorded a Rouvy trainer ride on my Garmin, I don't think it would get the vert.

For indoor stuff I use Rouvy on my laptop controlling the trainer. Rouvy is then linked with my strava, I think it can link with Garmin connect but I've never tried. I presume other apps are the same.
Gracias amigo! I think the only logical thing to do is buy it and try it, all in the name of science.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Gracias amigo! I think the only logical thing to do is buy it and try it, all in the name of science.
Most of the apps have a free trial, they are what makes it bearable so start reading up on them and their pricing (I think there are some free ones still)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I’m going to market ‘overlanding’ ramps. You keep them in the Tepui tent while traveling, and build them in the parking lot, so you can park your Bronco at a 45 degree angle, while only taking up one spot.
(The ‘deluxe/advanced’ model will take up four spots)

Who is in for my kickstarter campaign?

I will call it E.O.U., for ’Extreme Urban Overlander’.
Uh, will they work with this?

1676075468377.png

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Supposed to be 56 up here and boy would I love to get out for a ride. Sadly have work and a sick kid to juggle so it's not going to happen. Feeling so physically drained lately that it's unlikely I'd be able to do much if I even had the time.

One of the work things we have going on is a mandatory fun event at the local indoor go-kart track. Maybe I can pull my best @stoney and win everything
Managed to @stoney 's kid it and won one race and came second in the other. Half a second behind another nerd who I couldn't pass and then finally came in contact with a lapper and backed off to try and go faster. It was fun.

So, this is self-indulgent, but my Dad cast a very long shadow over some circles in New York Academia and the arts in the Upstates (and other places). Thought I would share his obit, he was an amazing dude. He left life as he lived it, with humility, humor, and grace. Absolutely no fear.
I won’t even say Rest In Peace, as he died in peace.

I am posting this here for some closure, as he elected to not have a funeral, but we will have a celebration of life this spring.
Fayetteville is the next town over from where I grew up. Not the worst place in the world. Hope it was a peaceful few days at least. You can do (much) worse in syracuse.

I'll cast a vote for the zwift hub as it's supposed to be the best trainer for the money out there. You don't need zwift but the specs on it are pretty good.
I have this: https://bikecloset.com/product/elite-suito-t-no-cassette/?gclid=CjwKCAiA85efBhBbEiwAD7oLQPEdMWj-4yRY0RL1_f4XhYKD6xov1qeTOX2vvF8LJ60A7DE4wfTvjBoCBSoQAvD_BwE and it's been pretty good. A few small issues but for even less than the zwift hub, that's a good deal.
Either way, as big a nerd as I am, I'd have a hard time spending more than $550 on a trainer right now....unless it's the Stages SB20...

Uh, will they work with this?

View attachment 189118
That is the dumbest thing on cars right now. I see them every once in a while in the suburbs and it's hilarious.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just found out that one of my best friends son passed away today. He was 16. Taken from us by depression. What a terrible insidious disease. It makes no sense and is so devastating.Take care of yourselves and hug your kids that little bit closer today. I am broken right now.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
On a bright note. My Wife is kicking ass and taking names on her young horse. She entered 4 classes (open: Pros, Adult Amateur , Jr/young Rider) and won all 4 with ease. Next month she feels that the horse is ready to move up a level which makes sense. Its only Mid February and she is already qualified at the current level to compete at the Regional Championships, at the end of September so why sandbag.
328473667_727366572290318_747422209435692072_n.jpg
329139025_572825291397664_7231812710814981638_n.jpg

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just found out that one of my best friends son passed away today. He was 16. Taken from us by depression. What a terrible insidious disease. It makes no sense and is so devastating.Take care of yourselves and hug your kids that little bit closer today. I am broken right now.
Fucking hell. So sorry.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I haven't gone the full smart trainer route. I did get the power meter add on thing for my kinetic, and that works just fine with my Garmin edge.