Quantcast

Friday GMT - for all the slackers

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
What the heck guys...no GMT yet?

It's Friday, I finally get this cast off and the pin comes out of my heel this afternoon. I haven't seen my foot in six weeks, I bet it's pretty ripe under there. In other news, mudgirl is going back to Ithaca for the weekend so I'm flying solo. Feel free to stop by the house and bring me beer. :cheers::headbang:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
technically your insurance paid for most of it. however i doubt they would have any interest in it. given as how it'll have your DNA all over it.
True, but I pay my insurance premiums every month and this time I won the bet. This pin is part of the pot as far as I'm concerned. Don't you think that if they could find a way to make it legal the insurance companies wouldn't require surgical hardware like this to be reused/recycled? Throw it through the autoclave and reuse that ****er on the next poor sap to get wheeled through the door who needs one.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
True, but I pay my insurance premiums every month and this time I won the bet. This pin is part of the pot as far as I'm concerned.
i think you underestimate how much some of this stuff costs.

Don't you think that if they could find a way to make it legal the insurance companies wouldn't require surgical hardware like this to be reused/recycled?
has nothing to do with the insurance companies. most hardware becomes altered in the installation process and renders it unusable. Any re-work to re-validate a used piece of hardware would cost several orders of magnitude more than just buying a new part. [edit] it's more of an FDA concern than an insurance concern[/edit]

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The over priced medical product lobby would never let that happen; at least without raising prices to compensate for lower production volume.
There's plenty of scam to go around within the current system.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The over priced medical product lobby would never let that happen; at least without raising prices to compensate for lower production volume.
There's plenty of scam to go around within the current system.
nice tinfoil hat there. this is completely and totally 100% incorrect.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
i think you underestimate how much some of this stuff costs.

has nothing to do with the insurance companies. most hardware becomes altered in the installation process and renders it unusable. Any re-work to re-validate a used piece of hardware would cost several orders of magnitude more than just buying a new part. [edit] it's more of an FDA concern than an insurance concern[/edit]
I've seen the bills and the explanation of benefits from the insurance company. I'm far too aware of how much this little bit of steel costs. In any case, let's see if it's one of yours. Should there be some sort of identifying marker on it somewhere or is a snapshot going to work?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've seen the bills and the explanation of benefits from the insurance company. I'm far too aware of how much this little bit of steel costs. In any case, let's see if it's one of yours. Should there be some sort of identifying marker on it somewhere or is a snapshot going to work?
all orthopedic implants are required by law to be identified with manufacturer, part #, and lot.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
nice tinfoil hat there. this is completely and totally 100% incorrect.
100% incorrect?

My brother was a consultant to hospitals, with a focus on maximizing profitability.
My uncle is a pharma salesman
Both my in-laws are malpractice lawyers
My sister in law is a doctor

No tin-foil, I've just seen behind the curtain.
Keep thinking your company just wants to 'help people' though.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Good morning! Finished packing last night in preparation for the Uhaul pod tomorrow. Also managed to sneak out and get in a loop at the local park. Twas a good day indeed. Not much on tap for today.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
100% incorrect?

My brother was a consultant to hospitals, with a focus on maximizing profitability.
My uncle is a pharma salesman
Both my in-laws are malpractice lawyers
My sister in law is a doctor

No tin-foil, I've just seen behind the curtain.
Keep thinking your company just wants to 'help people' though.

that's cute that you've had a tiny glimpse behind the curtain. i work behind the curtain (in the development of medical devices). i've worked there that vast majority of my career. i have 3 family members who are doctors. 2 of which used to run their own practices. i've seen that article already, and the lack of depth in it is pretty embarassing.

the medical device companies aren't the issue; it's the insurance companies and how they run as for-profit business in the US. it's also the cost of malpractice insurance. our society is entirely too sue happy. that's what my 2 family members "used" to run their own practices; malpractice insurance cost increases, on top of decreasing reimbursement from insurance companies, rendered their businesses unprofitable.

also, implants aren't cheap to develop. not by a long shot. nor are they quick to develop. on average it takes 5-10 years of development for a class III medical device to go from inception to release for sale. do you think the engineers and scientists (many of which are Phd's) developing these devices work pro-bono? do you think the equipment used to develop them manufacture them is donated and runs on happy thoughts? that $350 cited as "actual manufacturing costs" in the link you posted fails to account for the cost it takes to develop and gain approval by the FDA, which typically ranges from $50mil to $100mil or more.

and don't get me started on asian manufacturers. their designs are mostly (if not completely) ripped off and reverse engineered, and the QC on them (from materials to processes) is so abysmally poor it should be criminal. I know this first hand; i have been inside several of these facilities.

i agree the system is broken, but point the blame where it belongs.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Rode with Nick yesterday. Beginning the process of staining the deck when I get home from work.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Take it to PaWN n00bs!

:wave:

SS will probably disown me, but we have TV in the house again. Spent 5 minutes surfing the channel guide and there was absolutely nothing worth watching. Oh well, had to get either TV or a land line phone when we switched to DSL, and I figured the land line phone was even more worthless. Might have been wrong on that account.

Riding with $tinkle this morning. Haven't been on a bike in well over a month, hopefully this doesn't go too badly.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Dinner and beers followed by a couple errands with the GF tonight. Bringing her to the airport at 4am tomorrow for a work trip, then probably doing some landscaping work all day, maybe a round of golf. A couple friends are doing the Hampshire 100 race this weekend, so I'm going to head up Sat night and camp with them to be ready for their 6:30am start time on Sun.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Yo. Last day of my staycation. Listing to the Crazy Pills in WFMU, nice! Kind of X-like. lunch out soon, watch some Monster X/Gojira flick and hopefully hit the BMX track for kid's (and mine) 1st night race. County Fair this weekend, y'all!

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Morning. Looks like 1 section of conveyor was built about 500mm short. Ooops! That's what buying the cheapest option gets you...

Good thing I leave in 8 days! It will then be someone else's problem.

Montreal in 9 days, Vancouver in 12. I guess you could say I'm looking forward to it.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Good morning, coffee in hand, working from my kitchen table for a couple hours. Getting ready to head to a second interview for a job that I am pretty stoked on. Had an awesome night ride last night, and planning to ride a day of lifts and a bigger high-country ride I haven't done yet this weekend. Nick, you want in on some Keystone tomorrow? Shoot me a text, I think I'm headed up with Dr. Dickson—not Dr. Dave.

keep the pin. i wanna see if it's one of ours.
I have a pile of stuff pulled out of me from past ortho surgeries, maybe I'll dig it out and snap a pic to see if it's some of yours.

I was planning to ask for it. I paid for it after all.
Should be no problem, I've always been able to keep my hardware.

After days of chairlift whoring, the climb was tough.
It's rough being Nick.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
just got our first power bill since we upgraded the attic insulation. prior bill was $280 ,this months bill...$135 with most days hitting 95-105°.... good investment
get a nest thermostat....cut it even more.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Uhaul just called to tell me the location I'm supposed to be picking up my pod and trailer from tomorrow doesn't actually have trailers. Thanks for letting me know the day before. Now to call the other locations and pray that someone can get me a pod and trailer for the day.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Uhaul just called to tell me the location I'm supposed to be picking up my pod and trailer from tomorrow doesn't actually have trailers. Thanks for letting me know the day before. Now to call the other locations and pray that someone can get me a pod and trailer for the day.
i've had similar experiences in the past. other than that my uhaul experiences have been pretty good

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Kinda like your last moving experience....

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Afternoon! What a week it's been! Wednesday night, Syd & I loaded up for a ride around mud pond (Spier Falls lower section) and stopped to say hello to Sq-Earl and give him some ride food along the way. Well, Syd managed to smash her left pointer finger in the car door so that ended our chance of a ride. She didn't cry or anything at first, just gasped and ran over to Sq-Earl & I. When I saw the look on her face, I said "what happened" at which point she let it all out and showed us her finger. Sq-Earl's response was a look of shock followed by which ER are you heading to? I looked at it and went into action....grabbed a pair of bike socks out of my car (clean) and some ice from the beer cooler. I rinsed it with my water bottle and looked at it. The whole top half of her finger was flattened and between the middle and end joints was about a 1/2" gash that was bleeding. I rinsed it some more, applied the ice and sock and some pressure and put her in the car. Instead of heading to the hospital, being the mom of the year that I am, I gave her some tylenol for the pain and headed home. Once home, I cleaned the cut and it didn't look as bad. VERY swollen, but I was able to move her finger so I was pretty sure it wasn't broken. I cleaned up the cut, put a ton of antibiotic ointment on it and bandaged it up. I had a splint so I taped her finger and we watched a movie. Next morning (yesterday) I check it all out and she seems to be fine.

The guys Sq-Earl ride with were amazed that I didn't freak out or anything. Maybe I missed that day of "mom training", but I think I'm a better mom for being able to keep my cool.

We celebrated with a trip to the amusement park and frozen greek yogurt! :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
True, but I pay my insurance premiums every month and this time I won the bet. This pin is part of the pot as far as I'm concerned. Don't you think that if they could find a way to make it legal the insurance companies wouldn't require surgical hardware like this to be reused/recycled? Throw it through the autoclave and reuse that ****er on the next poor sap to get wheeled through the door who needs one.
Is pot legal back there?

It is here.

:cheers: