Quantcast

***Friday GMT***

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The weather is awesome out here. Probably to compensante for the fact that 20% of this country is ready to vote on a party that for now has one official member and proudly announces it has no program outside of abolishing german influenced media or some crazy stuff like that.

On the positive side I'm over 1 month into flat renovation. Since it's my gf's idea (well and her flat, mine is rented to some nice people) she decides but it looks amazing. Some guys build a concrete pumptrack 900m from the new flat so I'm rather happy with my life for now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Finally got a ride in last night at this here farm. It was awesome, except for ticks. Pulled at least ten off during the ride, another 5 when I got back and another 5 in the shower.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Finally got a ride in last night at this here farm. It was awesome, except for ticks. Pulled at least ten off during the ride, another 5 when I got back and another 5 in the shower.
I'm either already very sick or very lucky since I very rarely if ever notice ticks on me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:twitch:

I am so happy that it is Friday, even if its already raining. Though, this is most likely to be the longest day this week. 5th day of getting audited. I'm ready for beer right meow.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Oh look, it's raining.

Finished painting the bug last night... now to put it all back together, get some stickers on it, and go race it.

The white bits masked off and sanding primer...

Starting to shoot the blue...

Done and done, took the masking off. Stoked.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It's Friday and it's time to poop! No, seriously.

I slept in, so my planned pre-work run will now be my post-work run. Also planning on a lake swim with wife and friends...shooting for a mile today. It'll be a nice night for it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's Friday and it's time to poop! No, seriously.

I slept in, so my planned pre-work run will now be my post-work run. Also planning on a lake swim with wife and friends...shooting for a mile today. It'll be a nice night for it.
Swim a lake in June? R U MAD

Won't it still be ball shrinking cold?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
SOC in full effect. Got up and road again this morning. Rode to work with a insulated bottle of iced protein shake. Did not shave and I am in short and t-shirt at work.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Notice? Had I not pulled them off I would have been a drained and empty husk this morning.
I know, my mom and some of my friends have boreliosis. I haven't tested for it but since I have a ton of other medical conditions it's hard to say I'd notice.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I don't think I've ever de-ticked myself, either. Is it a regional thing? I haven't lived in the southeast.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hardcore push biking its the natural progressing after fat bikes were introduced.
It's not unlike riding my RM7, but only half the ride is pushed (uphills). :rofl:

It's Friday, yay.

This made my morning.

The mission of The First Tee of Greater Portland is to impact the lives of young people by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through the game of golf.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
oh heyyy I took my nighttime meds instead of the morning ones today... this outta be good
ticks are also an Eastern Washington thing, they left the humans alone, but one of the dogs must've smelled delicious!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
You should probably learn to look for them. If you ever venture outside the greater Stapleton area any way.
I sometimes go into Denver proper when I need to go to Whole Foods.

(Actually, Whole Foods is our go-to place for my daughter's favored soy milk. Local groceries don't carry it and Whole Foods' price is actually good for this one item.)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't think I've ever de-ticked myself, either. Is it a regional thing? I haven't lived in the southeast.
Ticks are everywhere, there are more of them in places with more food. This place is filthy with scrawny little deer. They hang on to vegetation and grab on as you brush by. These trails are overgrown and has a few sections of long grass, therefore tick bonanza.

If you don't have a large population of big mammals and overgrown trails, ticks aren't much of an issue.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do you use any bug spray?
I was basted in 100% DEET. Most of the ticks didn't seem to give a shit. I found 5 of the fuckers when I took my socks off. I was guessing they were retreating from the DEET as ticks generally climb upwards once they get on you.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I never got more ticks on me than when I lived in VA.

Short ride today but hit some unusual stuff that was steep, rugged, and fun. One section lost 1000' elevation over less than a mile. Good chit.

Now for Mexican food and giant beers.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I sometimes go into Denver proper when I need to go to Whole Foods.

(Actually, Whole Foods is our go-to place for my daughter's favored soy milk. Local groceries don't carry it and Whole Foods' price is actually good for this one item.)
Isn't that the very definition of a loss-leader? Suck you in with A, then nail you with b,c,d,e and f?

It's raining here. Last night my King hub tried to kill me. It's unhappy with my lack of maintenance and skipped when I tried to lay the power down in a fast section on a moderate decline... We were in a mica-rich area, and we were moving at a decent pace, when all of a sudden I'm digging a trench through the ground with my elbow. I now have two oozing vaginas on my elbow. They are of no use to me there:( I must pull that hub apart and clean it out so the ring drive engages properly.

I hope to ride again on Sunday afternoon.

have a good weekend y'all.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I never got more ticks on me than when I lived in VA.

Short ride today but hit some unusual stuff that was steep, rugged, and fun. One section lost 1000' elevation over less than a mile. Good chit.

Now for Mexican food and giant beers.
I am staying very close to Panorama, similar terrain, tick central.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My trail bike is on King hubs that are on 12 years. A little TLC once a year during down time / rainy day is all it takes.
Cost aside you can't beat them, IMO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My trail bike is on King hubs that are on 12 years. A little TLC once a year during down time / rainy day is all it takes.
They have quite a bit more drag than other hubs. They break-in nicely after about 10 years of hard use.

I opted for a new set of I-9's instead of King's on my last set of wheels. Was on freehub #2 after 4 months.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
totally agree. mine are going on 5 years now. I never had a rear hub last longer than 3 years before. I had a bit of forewarning in the past few rides with an instance of slow engagement or two. I knew it was time, I just didn't take the time. I absolutely expect that with a bit of TLC, I'm in for a long relationship with these. IMO for that alone they are worth the price of admission.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
They have quite a bit more drag than other hubs. They break in nicely after about 10 years of hard use.
maybe it's mass, maybe it's tires pressure, but when I'm coasting down a hill next to my buddies, I'm almost always pulling away. I like to think it's the hubs. and as we know, the placebo effect counts for 90% of our speed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
King hub pro-tip: Instead of the ring drive grease use synthetic 90wt gear oil in the hub. It is what King used to use but it caused problems in sub zero temps. It makes basic maintenance much easier. Pull the hub body off, drain the oil, spray in some WD-40 to clean things up, add new oil and you are done.

Nothing wrong with the ring drive grease, it just requires complete disassembly and lots of fiddly cleaning.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
maybe it's mass, maybe it's tires pressure, but when I'm coasting down a hill next to my buddies, I'm almost always pulling away. I like to think it's the hubs. and as we know, the placebo effect counts for 90% of our speed.
Not rolling friction, those bearings are awesome. The ring drive has friction so if you are in the small sprocket and going really fast it causes the chain to go loose when coasting.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
King hub pro-tip: Instead of the ring drive grease use synthetic 90wt gear oil in the hub. It is what King used to use but it caused problems in sub zero temps. It makes basic maintenance much easier. Pull the hub body off, drain the oil, spray in some WD-40 to clean things up, add new oil and you are done.

Nothing wrong with the ring drive grease, it just requires complete disassembly and lots of fiddly cleaning.
:stupid:
I used the ring drive lube in the bearings only, and oil for the gear mesh.